4.0 out of 5 stars My cup of tea!
I really like this phone, mostly because of the screen: it's beautiful. Really good contrast, good black level. The only issue is the off-axis viewing angles aren't the best, but that is very minor.

This device feels super premium: the metal sides feel fantastic in the hand and the glass front and back add to make this phone feel even more premium than an...
Published 14 months ago by Susie Robertson

3.0 out of 5 stars the full options smartphone
I got this phone to replace my Samsung Galaxy S3 and I'm pleased with the choice.
The good:
- the 5" full hd screen is super sharp and makes the browsing experience great
- sony does not add too much stuff on top of the original Android image so it's super fast.
- it's water proof which is good if you ever get caught by heavy rain as you...
Published 10 months ago by Pandrei

‹ Previous | 1 2 323 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Android decice, plus for waterproof and quality, 3 Mar. 2014
Had this phone for a couple of months now. Never lags, battery time is excellent,.
Good Camera that keeps getting better and better. Coming from an iPhone 4s, love the bigger screen and more choices for customization.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good phone, good price. Shame about the screen but everything else is spot on!, 30 Jan. 2015
pufferfish (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Other than the really annoying tendency of retail to now call this an "old phone" because it's had two successors in the last year, this phone is great value for money.
I've thrown just about all my most graphically intensive games at it, even the ones that made my old note II stutter a bit, and it can handle them all.
My only gripe would be the screen. I like it but I hate it. It's really sharp and clear compared to the note II screen, but as soon as you look at it when it's on the table or in the dock, you're not quite head on, even an angle of maybe 5%, bleh, it looks awful like a cheap TFT from a 90s television. Washed out! The viewing angle is DEFINITELY a big deal. Choosing a darker background does improve things though.

Getting past that, the phone is perfect in every other way. A couple of things my note 2 didn't have are ant+, a dedicated camera button, shiny glass rear (or is it plastic?!). I've not tried ant+ but I can tell you that bluetooth 4 works perfectly. As it did on the note 2.
Battery life - well, it's like this. Use stamina mode. Just....use it. It will give you around 4-5 days idle if you don't touch the phone (i.e. left at home when you went on holiday or lost behind sofa) or more realistically around 2 days, or a full day if you're constantly on it playing games like I am!
Get the magnetic dock. Get a slim case and get the non official magnetic dock that can support the case. I'm not kidding. The phone has these fiddly little flaps that you don't want to keep opening and closing, just get the dock. It's as good as Qi wireless charging. Better actually since it charges at full speed.

I haven't dunked the phone yet. I probably should. But I haven't. I might try now. I guess it would be covered by warranty, right??

Also I found that a glass screen protector is superb, instead of the awful one they gave me free in the box. Sure it was free, but bubbles everywhere! The glass ones just go on by themselves, it's freaky, you have to try it.
Thumbs up! I think it's great for the price, for us lesser mortals who can't afford the Z3...

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb - Sleek, Modern and Sexy Smartphone, 21 July 2014
By far the best smartphone out there. I have owned this smartphone for 9 months and I'm still loving it. I'm a great fan on Sony's and I know when you buy there brand you always get high quality and this phone lives up to that expectation.

Screen *****
Its big
Impressive graphics
superb for watching films on
Drains battery 50% of battery power is used by the screen of one charge.

Battery ****
Lasts one day and a bit
stamina mode most defiantly helps to keep the battery up.

Waterproof ability *****
Its most defiantly waterproof, I have mainly tried it in swimming pools while on holiday.
Beware the touch screen does not work while the phone is very wet or immersed in water.

Design & Body ****
Superb it looks sleek, modern and sexy. The Z1 has a glass back & front will an aluminium border surrounding the phone.
I would have preferred the lock button to have been on the top of the smartphone and the audio jack on the bottom but this is my preference.

Software ****
Sony has had a couple of problems with the software on this smartphone in the past year including:
Photo app not deleting the photos you ask it to do on the multi select leaving a lot of photos behind (Fixed)
The mobile crashing when placed in sleep mode leaving the screen black (Fixed)
Camera app not responding or crashing while attempting to take photos (Fixed)
Phone randomly restarting when loading certain apps (Fixed)

I am most impressed by how quick Sony is to repair software problems. I am most impressed by the music player known as Walkman it was easy to put all of my music onto, by my laptop. It sorts all of my music perfectly however I no longer use Walkman as I have a running subscription with Deezer (Strongly Recommend).

Kitkat on the Xperia Z1 runs smoothly and has no troubles what so ever it uses less resources and is quick.

Camera ***
Sony really does boast about there 20.7MP camera but I feel there isn't much to shout about, yes the photos are amazing when taken in very good light conditions however as soon as the lights go down the camera struggles to take photos without them being blurred or fuzzy and the LED flash is very weak compared to a HTC or Samsung.
If your looking to take photos in dark conditions then I would recommend another phone unfortunately this is a big downer on this mobile.

Browsing the web *****
Sony does not have there own browser like HTC or Samsung but don't let this put you off as Google Chrome is pre installed.
Google Chrome is very quick on this mobile and it wont let you down.

Conclusion
The Xperia z1 is a must to have, its basic, its quick, its high quality and designed perfectly. Even though the Xperia Z1 has its bad points the goods just completely over run. I would like to see Sony introduce and improve these in there next smartphone
improve the Camera application
The Camera
A finger print sensor
IR blaster
Front facing speakers with better quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 28 Oct. 2013
I've been pondering a new phone since spring and have awaited the launch of many different handsets since then. The Galaxy S4, Htc One, Xperia Z were all on my radar at some point. The S4 sadly felt too cheap, and poorly made as did the Xperia Z, I was all set to order the HTC one then sony dropped the Z1 on the market and I was swayed.

The HTC one has a fantastic build quality as others will testify but the Sony comes very close and offers a real premium feel and a larger screen. And what a screen it is. Colours are amazing and HD content is so easy to watch whilst on the go. Streaming movies on this is so much better than my previous handset and is actually quite an enjoyable experience. Yes it does not have the front facing speakers of the HTC but the sound is never the less not bad at all.

I've yet to try the waterproofing on the phone as It steel feels mighty wrong to put something electronic in water but I am sure it would be fine. I would however recommend the DK31 docking station as I feel the constant opening and closing of the charger flap will eventually compromise the protection it currently gives, and on that subject be careful when unplugging the charger that you do not pull then flap at the same time as I have almost done this twice now.

All in all I've had the phone almost a week and still have that new gadget excitement that treating yourself to something new delivers. The offer with the free smart watch is a must have and at the current price a bargain.

5.0 out of 5 stars superb, 12 Oct. 2013
This phone has amazed me, Sony have made use of the super fast processor and the massive 5inch screen really well! Sony have there own app store with plastation games and then you also have the android jelly bean. The phone runs smoothly on all the games I have tested, including high tech ones. The battery life will most defently last you all day recently have been on a long car journey the phone lasted all the way while browsing the Web and watching films. The ear phones are Ok however . Have noticed that the Sony Xperia z1 doesn't send sound very loud compared to other phones I have had for example when plugging the Sony Xperia z1 into my sound system it won't be as loud as it is on my iPhone 4S even tho the sound system is at the same volume. The Sony Xperia Z1 has the same keyboard layout as the iPhone with a few differences. I really do love Google Chrome on my mobile it is supper fast compared to other browsers it also allows you to link your computers chrome to your mobile and you can continue where you left off. The phones possessor has really amazed me, its just so quick its just like it's. Impossible the phone has never frozen or slowed down. The CAMERA where do I start, its one of the best camera phones out there it also includes Sony G lens what just makes it 2X better. Most photos will come out in excellent quality however the phone doesn't do very well on low light conditions and struggles to show an image, the led light isn't that bright, the phone also over exposures bright lights such as the sun. This camera doesn't do to we'll in direct sun light. But how thin this phone is the photos are amazing. I really do recommend this phone over any apple, Samsung and Nokia mobile it's just that impressive, I think Sony is getting back into the market on mobile phone and at the current moment the Xperia Z1 is the best #1st

5.0 out of 5 stars sony Z1, 15 Feb. 2014
John McGhee (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
Fantastic phone, great size, i changed from an iphone4, screen quality is great also.
Handles games etc with ease and the sound quality on calls is excellent.
Delighted with this purchase, buy it you will not be dissapointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Phone!, 12 Feb. 2014
Matt R (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Got this phone a few days ago (not from Amazon). This is the 4th Android phone I've owned and so far it's proving to be the best. The battery life is proving to be great so far. It's lasting all day with around 40% to spare. I haven't talked on the phone much though but I have played a few games which can drain the battery.

The phone is quite fast and seems to have ample storage and memory to run all the apps I require. I'm not a gamer so can't really comment on the phone's performance whilst playing games.

The camera is a whopping 20.7mp and the photos produced by the phone FAB.

The only real criticism I have is the you have to open up a compartment to connect the charger. This seems a little flimsy and can easily break however the phone does come with a magnetic charging option and I have just purchased the lead to charge via this method as I don't want to run the risk of breaking the cover for the charging compartment as this will make the phone no longer waterproof.

The phone is quite large which can be a problem with someone who has small hands or has a disability. I have purchased Sony SBH52 Smart Bluetooth Handset/MP3 Player as this means I make calls etc without having to hold the phone itself.

All in all I don't think you'll be disappointed with this phone. Just remember to be careful with the charging compartment's cover or, better still, use a magnetic charger instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome phone by Sony, 29 Mar. 2015
The Z1 has so many built in features it is awesome, better than most of the other Android based phones I have used.
The 20.7 MPixel camera is so easy to use. I have recently been taking pictures of wildlife in burst mode (taking up to 30 shots as birds fly over)
I have added a 64GB memory card to hold pictures and music.
The sound clarity and quality of the Walkman app is second to none.
Music has deep bass tones when played through the headphones supplied.
I have watched so many movies when travelling, the large screen is perfect for those boring train journeys.

I have even taken pictures under water - awesome.
Can't imagine why I didn't buy this phone sooner

5.0 out of 5 stars Just got this great phone, 30 Jan. 2014
I just got this phone from UK Electronics via Amazon (yesterday evening).
Until now, I love it. It's user friendly, it was actually SIM free and I could save some pounds. For 1 week I compared all plans in all networks and realized that maintaining my current plan and buy this phone here was, at least, 100£ cheaper.
The size is great (not too big, not too small).
The way it was packed was great and it has all the needed things: charger, documents, headphones and even screen protectors.
The camera is also good and has different effects/settings.

It took 1 extra day to get to my place. Waiting for it on Tuesday 28th and got it on Wednesday 29th evening.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointingly fragile, 30 Jan. 2015
Mr. D. Dods (West Lothian, Scotland) - See all my reviews
this was a great phone, an excellent camera, battery life that saw it last close to 2 days in normal use. But then the screen shattered while it was in a map pocket on my trouser leg and I was sitting on a sofa. It was totally unusable and Sony refuse to honour the warranty as the screen could not possibly have broken as I describe.

Sony phones have a well known problem with screens shattering, BBC watchdog investigated and found the problem is widespread. The Z2 and Z3 apparently have the same issues. Shame as the phone was close to the perfect smartphone in every other respect. Avoid Sony Xperia unless you plan to buy a new phone every few months.

‹ Previous | 1 2 323 | Next ›