A well-filled volume of SF stories dating from the 1950s onwards and featuring several now classic authors (Algis Budrys, Fritz Leiber) and more recent writers. The overall standard was high, with only one or two inconsequential stories. Once again, some space for humour with Briarton's dreadful puns, and Fritz Leiber's amusing 'No Great Magic'. Humour of a different kind is provided in a vampire tale with a different twist, 'The Pick Up'.

Other highlights include the opening story, 'The True Darkness', set in a spreading black universe that engulfs everybody, and Mike Resnick's 'Robots Don't Cry', a tale of loyalty and loss. I enjoyed also the reversal of a present concern in 'Population Implosion', an intriguing proposition of a world in which there are a fixed number of souls. The collection finishes with the meaty novella, Tom Godwin's 'Survivors' set in a high gravity world with particularly nasty wildlife.

Again, a huge bargain that works out at about three pence per story.
on 31 January 2016
I have been working my way through this series from Megapack 1 and have enjoyed reading them - hence the 4 stars. But a few issues have stopped them getting 5 stars.

I happily accept (and enjoy) that the quality of the stories vary - a consequence of putting together short stories from different generations and authors. Slightly less acceptable is that there are issues throughout the series with the number of typos that appear, surely some "proper" proof reading is not that hard.

But this edition is the first that has caused me to leave a review. Two things have caused this - one very much annoying than the other. The really annoying matter is that this edition contains a story already included in an earlier edition of the series (Monkey on his back by Charles V. De Vet) - to include a story twice in this series is inexcusable!

The second for me is the inclusion of an interview with an author - not what I expect to find in a SF short story collection, and so, in my view, just puff to fill the pages. Maybe others enjoy this inclusion?

Overall though I would recommend this series to anyone who enjoys SF stories.
on 7 February 2014
I've bought a few of these now and the value is pretty good. There's always a story or two that isn't that great in these books, so I tend to skip straight past those but the other 20-odd stories are generally passable, enjoyable enough to pass an hour or two at least.
on 2 January 2014
Having downloaded the previous seven volumes number eight follows the same path. A good selection of storied that have kept me occupied. Roll on number nine.
on 17 February 2014
I stumbled on the Science Fiction Megapacks by accident, and how pleased I am that I did. I have purchased all eight so far published and will continue to do so while they maintain their extraordinarily high quality. The editorial team which choose the stories to go into the Megapacks are a talented and well-read bunch. They seldom, if ever, fail to please. If you like Science Fiction, I urge you to dive into these delightful and engaging volumes, I can almost guarantee that you will not regret it.
on 27 January 2014
A varied and excellent read most of the stories are great, perfect for the quick read before going to sleep at night
on 5 July 2014
I haven't finished this book but I can say that it has all kinds of suspense; not alone from the stories themselves but the varying quality of writing and plot. Some are a complete plod and then you come across the occasional gem. Probably good brain exercise showing dos and don'ts for wannabe SF writers. Worth every penny.
on 7 May 2014
Ok - i'm a dodo, but this is magic stuff from
Anyone can write that, but classic SF - what would happen if.... needs talent, and this too is talent.the days before they invented "fantasy". This stuff has IDEAS, not derivative "easy writing" formulae...
on 12 January 2015
Very good stories, and the last one in particular is stupendous. These mega packs are both great value for money and also a great way to discover lots of different authors. I can't recommend trying out these mega packs enough.
on 9 May 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed this collection of stories. Suddenly I was at the end and disappointed that there were no more stories left to read.

Recommended.