5.0 out of 5 stars compelling

Published 2 months ago by Manapong Khumsiri

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars compelling, 16 April 2014
This review is from: Floating Skyscrapers [DVD] (DVD)
I got into this film pretty much right away. I found early on I wasn't noticing that I was reading the subtitles as I was really hooked. I enjoy foreign films as you see things from a different perspective. This film seems to follow other European countries in the fact that so much is said in silence. You find yourself needing to think so much more than films in English. This was very down-to-earth and I thought a believable story line. For me personally I really enjoyed this film.

4.0 out of 5 stars Polish Story of gay `star crossed lovers'., 10 May 2014
Tommy Dooley "Tom" (London, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Floating Skyscrapers [DVD] (DVD)
This is a Polish film of gay love and in some respects has similarities to the recently released German film `Freefall'Free Fall [DVD]. It is essentially the story of Kuba (Mateusz Banasiuk) he lives at home with his mum and girlfriend of two years - Sylwia. He is a talented swimmer and trains every day. He seems to be a bit care-free and, some might say, even immature in his outlook. Then one night at an art gallery, which Sylwia has dragged him to, he meets the broodingly good looking Michal (Bartosz Gelner).

They sort of hit it off and all of a sudden they are falling for each other. However, things are never simple and events conspire against the two men, what follows involves family loyalties, coming out and rampant homophobia. To say any more could impinge on the plot.

This film does contain a fair bit of nudity and scenes of a very sexual nature but it is all pretty tasteful/realistic - this is not art house though and does not shy away from a `rutting scene'. It is extremely well shot with great use of the locations and lighting, the underwater sequences are all excellent. This is a high values production and it reaps the rewards for that. The acting is top notch and the sub titles are all very good too - with a run time of 89 minutes this is a film that left me wanting more and was an experience that moved me - absolutely recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Same old story, 3 May 2014
I don't want to spoiled the film... But I will, or maybe. Heard a lot of comments to the film that Polish is quite conservative to third gender. So this film ended up with tragedy and hard for someone who looking for happy ending. It's a typical modern day plot of gay movies which have a prize from random film festivals. They always put a message that gay should not be happy or deserve to live with someone they love because god made a man together with woman... I'm feeling unhappy about this idea because I'm also gay :(

Yep,we have a heart!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, 27 April 2014
This review is from: Floating Skyscrapers [DVD] (DVD)
The newsworthy part of this film is that it is a first for polish cinema. It is however quite a bleak tale by the end, with no happy ending for anyone, although clearly this may sadly reflect the state of affairs for gay men in Poland presently. There were quite a few female characters that often seemed to blur, with their relationships with the lead male sometimes confused and not apparent. It is otherwise a dysfunctional coming out story, but worth seeing

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad drama but completely obliterated by shockingly violent and repugnant ending., 26 July 2014
Before I prattle on about this film I feel that I must type that I didn't buy this film from amazon but I wanted to share my thoughts anyhow. I believe I was attracted to this release because of its 18 certificate and promise of strong (gay) sex. Well I was shocked to discover that this so called gay film had at least one straight sex scene which made my eyes bleed. That aside there was one bumming scene in public no less with a little nudity (they kept their tops on). However the ending leaves a lot to be desired. I won't spoil what happens but I didn't like what happened. It kinda, sorta ruined the entire film. But the guys are hot and there's plenty of speedo action. I realise that not all films have to have a happy ending but I'd settle for one that's not so nasty, violent, brutal, inhuman etc. This film has male on male kissing too which was nice. Not the best film of its kind I have seen but by far the worst. (Best being Latter Days, worst Celluloid)

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting movie, 27 Mar 2014
This review is from: Floating Skyscrapers [DVD] (DVD)
I never saw a Polish movie, I was surprised: good cinematography, good acting , a lot of tension seen on the screen by living a heterosexual live while being gay and desperatly in love with a boy.
I'm impressed!

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't quite float my boat - but still worth a watch, 26 Mar 2014
This review is from: Floating Skyscrapers (DVD)
It's not going to rock your socks but it does provide an interesting insight to gay life in Poland. There is a scene in the film where the characters discuss a film they've seen as though it was a piece of high art and how well it was shot and the scenes constructed etc. That scene sort of encompasses the way the director approached the film he was making. It's definitely a European film made in the French style with moody silences, long lingering looks and a sudden/unexpected ending. Nothing wrong with that, it's nice to get away from the American all-action, flash-bang-wallop, special effect explosion approach once in a while but it does tend to result in a very slow-moving movie.
Nevertheless, it's an interesting movie that's worth a watch.

1.0 out of 5 stars Slow,, 13 July 2014
This review is from: Floating Skyscrapers [DVD] (DVD)
Slow, depressing film well acted but with a typical "kill the gay guy" ending which may well be a true reflection of current polish society but not very well resolved in the end

3.0 out of 5 stars Another variation on a tested theme that misses, 12 July 2014
This review is from: Floating Skyscrapers (DVD)
I was expecting more from this film based on reviews I had read and comments from friends who had seen it. For me it was too disjointed and the central character KUDA is a an enigma! Is he working? sponging of his mother and girlfriend and how can he afford to buy drugs etc. His relationship with Mikel left me wondering if it was a means to an end and I don't want to spoil the ending for any one yet to see the film but it left me with too many unanswered questions. Not a film I could recommend without reservations.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 1 July 2014
This review is from: Floating Skyscrapers [DVD] (DVD)
Loved this movie. Well directored and somerthing a bit different that kept me hooked all the way through.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Floating Skyscrapers [DVD]
Floating Skyscrapers [DVD] by Tomasz Wasilewski (DVD - 2014)
10.88