4.0 out of 5 stars A little box of wonder
It is perhaps not immediately obvious what this product is or what it is for.
Published 4 months ago by Crazy Seahorse

3.0 out of 5 stars Screen freezing spoils the show, a future firmware may help.
Published 4 months ago by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars A little box of wonder, 27 Mar 2014
Crazy Seahorse "Crazy Seahorse" (Cambridge) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Wahoo Fitness RFLKT+ Bike Computer for iPhone 5S,5C,5 and 4S (Sports)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It is perhaps not immediately obvious what this product is or what it is for.
At heart it is a small screen you can mount on your handlebars that connects via bluetooth to the phone in your pocket and shows you the data from a compatible app. So as implied by the name it reflects what is on your phone, but you can keep your phone in your pocket and your screen off, giving you much more battery life and a greater sense of security than a handle bar mounted phone.

The box is pretty tiny, about the size of a box of swan matches and can be mounted on your handlebars via one of three mounts that are provided in the box. These include a rubber band mount, which I have tested, a clamping mount for quite small cross section bars, and a twist off mount. The rubber band mount has withstood a few commutes and seems to be robust enough.

I have other Wahoo products and they all come with fairly minimal instructions, and you are best off scanning the 2D bar code on the packaging and watching the video it guides you to. You will need a scanning app on your phone to do this (I use i-nigma) you should also download a few of Wahoo's apps from the app store, namely the WahooUtility and Wahoo Fitness.

WahooUtility allows you to check and connect your phone to the RFLKT+, whilst the fitness app allows you to add the device to an activity so that you can record what you want when you ride. The fitness app will also allow you to configure the screens so you can display the information you want and also configure the buttons.

The box has four buttons around its edges, and because the box is rated to IP 7x, (i.e. it is pretty waterproof) it is covered by some thick protective rubber. This means pushing the buttons in takes some effort, especially in winter cycling gloves. The buttons can be configured via the app that is being reflected, but essentially you have a pause, backlight and screen scrolls. The screen is a pretty basic low res monochrome LCD, which will be good for battery life. If you are riding in the dark you can configure the box to have its backlight on all the time via the fitness app.

I have other Wahoo blue products, the heart rate monitor and the speed and cadence sensor. These sync with the phone and the RFLKT+ displays their data seamlessly. Many heart rate monitors use a protocol called ANT+ to communicate to gym devices. This device will allow these to talk to your iPhone without the need for some plug-in adapter fitted to the bottom of your phone. As I have just bought bluetooth sensors I haven't tested this functionality out.

The app will also let you configure the box so you can control music as well. I don't think headphones and riding on roads in England mix so well and don't recommend using that function.

Lastly, I really like the open nature of Wahoo's software. Their apps will export data in pretty much any format to any app you like. I use Strava and my fitness pal, but I have also looked at the native data via e-mail. This all works pretty seamlessly and means you don't have to have several apps recording all at once for different purposes.

In summary, a useful gadget if you want to use your iPhone as a cyclocomputer and see the data real time as you are riding. It isn't a cheap solution but it is a well engineered one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great idea but has serious reliability issues, 4 May 2014
Mr. P. A. Busby (SE UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This is not really a bike computer but an external display for compatible bike apps on the iPhone4 & up. I use Cyclemeter on my iPhone5S which integrates very well indeed with Wahoo products. This + version includes an ANT+ bridge so sends data from those devices that use it over Bluetooth to the phone. This version also includes a barometric altimeter.
The RFLKT+ uses a CR2450 coin-cell battery but requires the removal of the back cover to replace. You can mount the RFLKT+ with the rubber band (spare supplied), the bar-mount bracket (for 31.8mm with 25.4mm spacer) or an optional quarter turn Garmin mount.
You can use various cycling apps including Wahoo's native one where customising the various screens shows the actual layout so is much easier than the menu-driven method for Cyclemeter I use that requires much trial & error to get right.
Without a wheel sensor, the RFLKT+ uses the phone's GPS to work out distances. I added Wahoo's BlueSC wheel & Cadence sensor that has a comprehensive list of tyre sizes to calibrate with. I also added Wahoo's TICKR heart rate chest-band monitor. All integrate very well with Cyclemeter.
The level of customisation includes the number of functions per page, text size, icon placement, decimal places & white on black text. The RFLKT+ can display music player functions but I use mine exclusively for outside riding & not indoor training so have not tried this on mine.
To use, you launch your chosen app then press any button on the device. The welcome screen tells you it's searching for the app then shows your home screen. I've set mine to start the app from a button press - no automatic start & stop! I keep my iPhone in a backpack which works well most of the time rather than ALL the time. I've looked down during some rides to find the screen has gone blank or is searching for the phone! The RFLKT+ seems to have reliability issues that future firmware versions may or may not address. However, the workout info has been intact including data from my sensors so has effectively just lost
Further functionality includes custom button assignment (including double pressing), a yucky red backlight, Odometer but no map display. You can also check the battery level, including those of your Wahoo sensors. Wahoo have a troubleshooting & Odometer apps, other compatible apps include walking, running etc.
Although I recommend the RFLKT+, do be aware that it can be more sensitive to phone placement than it should be for reliable & consistent use - something I find with Bluetooth devices in general.
Added later:
Having now used this display for nearly two months, some further observations: do not keep your phone close to your body, especially if you are using other BT devices such as a heart rate and/or wheel/cadence sensor which means not all have line-of-sight connectivity to your phone at the same time. My RFLKT+ has kept connected more often since keeping my 5S in my rucksack as far back as possible. It did switch off then refuse to recognise the phone on one ride. Resetting it halted Cyclemeter so lost data for that ride.
Further update:
After 3 months, had to fit a new battery - easy enough, just undo 4 screws, ease off the rear panel, prise out the spent battery, replace then reassemble. The problem (apart from poor battery life) is the unacceptable reliability. Mine either switches off mid-ride or just fails to connect to start with. I do not have the same issues with any other BT device including my Wahoo BLUE SC or TICKR. I suppose I'll have to contact Wahoo but am unconvinced a replacement would be any better. Drops to one star, I'm afraid.
22/07/14
Have had a reply from Wahoo Fitness - they have just issued a beta of new firmware. You need to watch a movie for the instructions on how to upgrade. The movie failed to open for me! However, it's now available when you start RFLKT+ so installed it. It's supposed to increase battery life & stability. My RFLKT+ turned itself off during the 1st ride using the updated firmware! Not a great start. Another issue when working is the lag between your actual speed & the indicated speed - it's over 4 seconds of delay.

3.0 out of 5 stars Screen freezing spoils the show, a future firmware may help., 25 Mar 2014
Amazon Customer "BuddieHollie" (England) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
About 20 rides and the ability to customize the screens, keeps the iphone more secure. It does have a problem with freezing a lot though. There is no text caller or ID alerts. The display is easy to read.Buttons a little stiff not so much of a big problem. Syncing with the app was good news all the way. The main problem really is just the screen freezing a lot and poor customer service.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pull your finger out Wahoo!, 25 July 2014
The only reason I bought this over the cheaper RFLKT was for the altimeter so I could track my rides more accurately. But it's beyond useless!

I emailed Wahoo to see if I had a duff unit and after I'd explained I was told.....

"I'm sorry you're experiencing this issue. We are aware of some adjustments that need to be made to the RFLKT in regards to to the altimeter. Our app developers are working on a fix for this. Thank you for being patient while we work to resolve this issue. Please let me know if you have any other questions/issues."

Now bearing in mind this gadget has been on sale for a fair while now (months!!!) it's very poor that it still isn't actually featuring it's only upgrade over the cheaper earlier version.

I live at an elevation of 183ft. Yet I have seen it say as low as minus 200ft. I fully reset the unit which has seemed to improve things but it's still normally 30 odd feet wrong. I'd imagine they will sort it in the end, but still not good enough.

It also wasn't auto calibrating at the start of each ride, but the reset did sort this.

It is more accurate during riding though on tracking your climbs than iPhone's, but only because iPhone GPS struggles if it's line of sight is blocked by so much as a bush, so most of the time it's guessing by using cell towers, wifi and Bluetooth.

If you want a nice compact display and have other Wahoo sensors, it's not cheap but it's a nice thing to have, but if I had know that it's altimeter wasn't fully up to scratch, I wouldn't have bothered yet.

Wahoo support pages are pretty good though, if you fire them of a query it's normally only 24hrs before you get a reply. Even if it is only to tell you your unit isn't duff, it's their software that needs work.

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect gift for a cycling technophobe!, 26 April 2014
B. Bello (Stourton) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This was bought as a gift for a partner who pretty much has everything relating to this area – the technophobe aspect of it referring only really to setting it up as once you have it configured to your requirements it could not be easier or more convenient.

The set up was a little complicated as the paper instructions were minimial so it did take a little time to sort, but it has proven to be well worth it.

It is compact, lightweight and well designed. It mounts onto the handlebars of the bike and conncect to the IPhone via Bluetooth – which can be in the saddlebag – so it it not using up your IPhone batter whilst you are using it and cycling which is a huge help for those with Iphones who forever need charging.

It can also be connected via the IPhone to an app of your choice, so once configured to you individual preferences it is a fantastic source of information which has good visibility while you are cycling.

A very nifty gadget for any serious cyclist.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great proxy for iPhone bike computer app, 25 July 2014
Great proxy for iPhone bike computer app!

I am using Cyclemeter. I have a Topeak speed and cadence Bluetooth sensor fitted.

Pairing with Cyckemeter was easy. Customising the display was a little hit and miss, experimenting with screen and font sizes etc.

Very intuitive however.

The only downside, the display is not strong/easy to read in early morning light. It is much easier to read with bright day light. Some might consider this to be a major flaw. But no big deal for me.

It connects well to my phone. It saves my phone battery. It is water/shower proof. So it's protecting my iPhone really!

4.0 out of 5 stars A must have, 4 Jun 2014
A must have to cyclists. Missing some app that can give you turn by turn indications. Customizable screens are very nice. Using it for one month and so far so good

3.0 out of 5 stars Simply a slave iPhone screen or an autonomously useful device?, 15 May 2014
Pallus the Phallus (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Specific usage defines whether this is simply an external iPhone readout or an independently useful tool..

With the ANT+ connectivity one can link all sorts of health monitoring devices like Wahoo’s own … … or … to the unit and view continuous feedback without draining your battery (too much).

And with Blootooth LE the ‘computer’ receives Speed/Distance data from one’s iPhone app also without overly straining your battery.

I don’t have any of the ANT+ health monitoring apparatus but can say that using Bluetooth 4.0 (incorporating energy saving BLE aka Bluetooth Smart) my telephone connected immediately.

By simply relaying info from your iPhone, one is still reliant on distance/speed measurements made by the iPhone’s varyingly accurate GPS.

REFLKT+ does have its own onboard thermometer and altitude meter. Although I’m not sure how much use these features are on their own.

The device is surprisingly small in the flesh. And although the display is adequate, it is rather dull and basic looking in comparison to one’s iPhone display.

It fits onto the handlebars with ease and the quick-release clip works well.

I would say that for those wanting to use this with ANT+ health monitoring devices, it could be very useful. In this situation it may be worthy of more stars.

But simply as a basic slave readout screen for one’s iPhone, it’s a rather expensive solution.

Wearing the iPhone on an arm in a waterproof, touch-sensitive case seems like a worthy alternative.

I can therefore only award it 3 stars. –It does the job but just doesn’t really impress.

4.0 out of 5 stars Serious kit for serious cyclists, 27 April 2014
D. Salmon "domski1969" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Very neat device that fits on your bike bars and connects with your iPhone meaning u can see all your relevant data.

Does need a little bit of working out, watch the instructional video as the instructions are a bit sparse.

Pricey, but it does it's job very well, so if your serious about cycling and want to have a device that gives you the data you want in an easy to read way in real time, this is a great answer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, but, man alive, it's expensive. And why no Android version?, 2 April 2014
Chris Widgery (London) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a little computer to mount on your bike. Right up front, I need to say that I didn't pay for this - I was lucky enough to be sent a free one. I will return to this at the end.

So, previously, I had apps on my phone and used that to track my rides. And it's fine, in terms of seeing where you want, speeds, climbs etc, but you can only see when you get home. Otherwise you are constantly stopping. This device eliminates that . It picks up the information directly from your phone and shows you that in real time.And that's it. It can link to some kind of other device (which I think measures your cadence, but I am not a serious cyclist, and don't have whatever it was).

It syncs very nicely with phone & apps, the battery seems to last very well, and it fits very securely to the bike. So you can get your speed, time etc as you are going. Which for the more serious cyclists I know who actually train - is very useful information.

As the title says, it ONLY works with iphones. I have an Android work phone, and downloaded the Wahoo Android app, but it did nothing. So if you don't have an iphone, don't bother.

So, all in all, a nice little product. My only quibble - the price. As I said, I was lucky enough to get it for free. Would I pay 110 for it? No. No, I wouldn't. If I were a serious cyclist, might I then? Dunno. It's a lot of money.