4.0 out of 5 stars Good holiday read
This book fascinated and entertained me. It's perfect for the beach or airport, as it doesn't require much reflection or work interlectually on the reader's part. You just sit back and enjoy.

Published on 11 Sept. 2006 by Copenhagen girl

1.0 out of 5 stars Not very good
I have read some truly awful books in my time, but never have I read a book that made you actively dislike every single character involved, quite as much as this one. Definitely not a keeper.
Published on 20 Oct. 2012 by Pimlico123

4.0 out of 5 stars Good holiday read, 11 Sept. 2006
Copenhagen girl "M" (Copenhagen, Denmark) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Trading Up (Paperback)

I liked the story, the charaters and all the glamour. Janey's (the main character) view on everything is so different from my own. Some may find it appalling, naive and stupid. I found it entertaining. I've met people like Janey and always wanted to look inside their mind. Janey is indeed naive and self-obsessed, but she also has a strong belief in her own succes, despite of her flaws. I don't share her values, but I liked reading about it - widening my horizon.

I also like the many little stories that are intertwined. I like how the author picks up characters from earlier books and how you meet some of the characters from "Trading up" in her next book "Lipstick jungle" (which is also really good!).

It's an extra bonus that it takes place in NYC. I love NYC and enjoy reading about it. I'm fascinated by the place. The fancy restaurants where one table is more prestigous than the other, where you can meet famous people etc. I liked reading about small things that are important to people in a world far away from my own little Danish capital.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not very good, 20 Oct. 2012

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun,Mindless,Reading, 19 Sept. 2007
This review is from: Trading Up (Paperback)
I brought Trading up on a whim before I went on a 4 hour Coach journey to Bristol. I wanted a book I could get lost in to help the journey go faster. Being a massive fan of Sex in the City I figured I couldn't go wrong with a book written by its creator. Luckily for me I picked right! Trading up is a glamorous tale sharply written by Candace Bushnell. It is so totally unbelievable and ridiculously far fetched to real life that you can't help but switch off your brain and enjoy! It's a fantastic trashy read with beautiful people, spite, revenge and glamour, and it totally beats a copy of heat magazine hands down for a long journey!

5.0 out of 5 stars Trading Up the bestselling ladder, 18 Nov. 2003
This review is from: Trading Up (Hardcover)
The Sex and the City writter out does herself in this her 3rd book. the 4 blondes was fantastic and now Janey Wilcox, is back for more adevntures. the chaacter is amazing, you cant help but like her!
this book is clever and witty and hard to put down
my advise would be- read it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Pure Entertainment, 6 Mar. 2008
This review is from: Trading Up (Paperback)
Yes, the character is shallow and a little unlikeable, but I found this book extremely entertaining. It's sort of like watching the life of someone who truly thinks that life owes them, and because of that, she gets exactly what she wants. I like the little insight into the main character's background that we get half-way through the book that go someway toward explaining why she is who she is. It is purely and simply entertaining, in a voyeuristic, unreachable way.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 27 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Trading Up (Kindle Edition)
Modern life comedy, perfect holiday read - easy read with much character...as all Bushnell books are. Can't wait when next comes out

3.0 out of 5 stars The usual, 8 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Trading Up (Paperback)
The usual Candace Bushnell- far too long and not a right lot happens really. A few minor twists and turns at the end though.

4.0 out of 5 stars NON-STOP READING!!!, 9 July 2004
This review is from: Trading Up (Hardcover)
I admit, I have read all of Candace Bushnell's books,but Trading Up is one of those books that you can't stop reading. As in her other books, Candace Bushnell describes with such vivid detail, life of the rich, powerful and beautiful in New York City that you find yourself entering deeply into the story and you really can't let go of the book. Her protagonist Janey Wilcox, is one of those women you love to hate. She has practically everything, beauty, sex appeal, men at her feet and several well-kept secrets. However, the author introduces to us, another side to the New York sex and social agenda, that by the end you find yourself being compasionate towards Jane Wilcox, a fighter, a survivor of a corrupt society that you start liking the character and feeling for her. This is a must-have, must-read book. Enjoy your read!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 16 Jan. 2009
This review is from: Trading Up (Paperback)
Bushnell's herione, Janey Wilcox has almost hit the big time. An appearance in a Victoria's Secret commercial opens the gates of the playground of the rich as she enters a world of too much money, too few morals and corruption. But as she climbs Manhattan's slippery social ladder, she's in danger of plunging to her depth. This book offers an insightful look behind the scenes of New York's self-obsessed elite. Money talks in this city and old money talks loudest. When a newly divorced billionaire, Seldon Rose, appears on the scene, Janey makes it her business to seek him out. After all, at the ripe old age of 33, her future modelling career is far from secure. Soon after Janey is introduced to the wealthy and powerful entertainment lawyer, she marries him. But the newlywed soon becomes bored and begins to worry that she has sold herself short. She is still obsessed by last year's lover, Comstock Dibble, who is engaged to the infinitely more sophisticated Mauve Binchley. Binchley also happens to be the best friend of socialite and billionaire's wife, Mimi Kilroy. Outsider Janey is finding it increasingly impossible to be properly accepted by these old-moneyed women.

Mimi, meanwhile, hooks up with a handsome Argentinian polo player who Janey herself had fancied. Nothing is going quite as planned. Bushnell's principal character is a self-indulgent, self-destructive character, lacking in any sense of humour. Prepared to sell herself, not just for money but for fame and advantage, Janey will stop at nothing to rub shoulders with the main players of this shallow, superficial set. This 'sex n' shopping' story is littered with money-grabbing, social-climbing individuals and it's difficult to warm to the unsympathetic heroine. Nevertheless its an insightful, if somewhat bitchy pageturner.

1.0 out of 5 stars The lost sparkle., 23 Aug. 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Trading Up (Paperback)
Having read the previous two books by the author, I was disappointed and somehow offended by the lack of depth and the superficiality of the character. Here is a girl who is absolutely clueless, floats about in a bubble, in a dream of ‘beauty can get me anywhere’ and I own the world even though I cannot spell properly.
When some people finally start to realise who she is – mind you in the real world she would have been slapped many times over by now -, that she is a pretty face – no brains whatsoever, her response is to throw her hands up in the air and dramatically exclaim ‘ nobody understands me’. Sadly, there is nothing to understand. I have never encountered such a sallow, moronic and frankly annoying character in the books I have read over the years. Surely, every novel of such genre, includes the obligatory amount of glamour, so that the common people might escape their reality for a few moments.
But nobody of the real people wants to waste their time with such nonsense. I followed the book to the end, wishing the character would at least admit to her flaws and emerge a bit more mature, and in the process hoping to restore my faith in the author. Sadly this never happened –even though there was some sort of attempt in doing so in the very end-.
And I am wondering why a once witty and funny writer would settle in creating such a stupid character and this pointless story. Out of all the characters in 4 blonds, we had to get stuck with the bimbo of the year. Hardly interesting reading. And I ask, why her?

Trading Up