5.0 out of 5 stars The TRUTH
The problems described by others with the screws is very simple to solve. Put all four screws in loosely first and then tighten them. The screw holes are slightly larger than they need to be to allow for slight discrepancies in the spacing on your drive. If you tighten any screws before all four are in place you may force one or more out of alignment.

The build...
Published on 26 Aug 2009 by P. Harris

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks good but bad design
Published on 23 Feb 2009 by N. Elliott

5.0 out of 5 stars The TRUTH, 26 Aug 2009

The build quality is very high for the price and the only visible sign of cost-cutting is inside the unit. The metal tray is made of 'monkey metal'. But unless your planning on it surviving a heavy impact (which would certainly destroy your hard drive) then this is not a problem and does not effect the look of the unit when assembled.

The speed of the drive is as advertised. USB2 can run at a theoretical speed of 480mb/s but in the real world you will be lucky to get half of that.

Although another reviewer said that his drive worked fine with a single USB slot, do not expect the same. All but 1 of the drives I have ever used in external cases have needed both cables to work. If you plug in only 1 USB your drive will probably make a very quiet beeping noise as it tries to spin up, fails (because it doesn't have enough power) and then tries again. Do not think that because your drive is 'humming' that it is working and wonder why your PC/Mac won't recognise the drive. I would advise plugging in both USB connectors to the PC before connecting the caddy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value & works a treat!, 20 July 2010
I bought this enclosure to recover data from my old laptop HDD - the motherboard on my laptop had given up and although I backup regularly, there were some files that I really needed.
I looked into buying a 2.5 inch HDD docking station (typically £25+) and then I found this. A great product, easy to use, looks good, easy to install the HDD into and worked straight out of the box (with Windows 7 - no need for any drivers etc).
The comments about the screws should not be a concern. I haven't bothered to install the screws and the drive sits quite securely in the enclosure (it clips shut). So, unless you're planning to transport the HDD around with you regularly and subject it to knocks / bumps etc, there's probably no need to screw it to the enclosure. This also gives the benefit of easily being able to remove the HDD and replace it with another - effectively using it as a docking station!.

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks good but bad design, 23 Feb 2009
N. Elliott "Linux 4 me" (Isle of Bute - Scotland) - See all my reviews
This consists of 4 pieces, a top and bottom metal cover and a plastic centre piece on which the interface board and drive are fitted. Fitting the metal covers is not easy. There are very very small holes in the plastic and the tiny screws have to cut their own thread into it. The holes in the plastic do not align with the holes in the metal covers.I expect that, if it was necessary to open the case, it would not be very likely that screws could be put back in place securely.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am delighted to say that this device works as described and ..., 18 Oct 2014
JMD1 (Bute, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I am delighted to say that this device works as described and I am more than happy with it. It's build quality is not that great and I doubt if it would take daily swapping of drives and I don't think it would be wise to keep unplugging the small end of the cable because the socket doesn't look that robust. However, with care I don;t see why this wouldn't last a year or two. Incidentally, remember that Windows 7 and all versions below are NOT designed for USB 3, you will need to download Windows' USB 3 drivers and make sure your PC (or MAC) is USB 3 enabled. It's a fiddly job but well worth the effort. I transferred 58gb of music files in less than 14 minutes. It took 58 minutes to put the files on the drive from a non-USB 3 device. Pictures appear instanlty and video plays without the slightest hiccup. For the price and the performance, this is a best buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good buy, 21 Mar 2013
This is a very slim case which makes it very handy. Please consider though that this enclosure is of plastic, so it won't protect your disk as good as an aluminium one, but this is no news. Also, it doesn't screw to close, it has a "click" mechanism, so in case it falls it might open.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 22 Nov 2010
This enclosure worked so much better than I expected - just pop open the case by pressing the button on top, slide in the drive and plug in the USB cable (obviously, you should screw in the drive for more security, etc.).

My only criticism would be that the top cover sometimes pops off if you haven't secured the drive in the case with the four provided screws - but this is a really minor point and not really worth deducting any stars (especially given the price!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Solution to a hard drive that is failing, 19 April 2014
hfffoman (Kent) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Allcam USB 3.0 Portable External Hard Drive Enclosure for 2.5" Laptop SATA Hard Drives (Electronics)
First, this product does what it is supposed to do - convert an internal hard drive into an external USB drive. Unless your computer is very old, select the USB 3.0 option.

When my laptop drive started making a noise, I realised it was about to fail. I bought this, together with this hard drive "Acer Aspire 5742 Laptop Internal hard drive 1024GB/1TB, 7200 rpm...". My reivew of that drive explains why it is a good choice even if your laptop is not an Acer. I put the new disk in the case, plugged it into the USB and cloned the original hard drive using Easus Todo backup (there are other free options but this one worked well for me). It took a few minutes to set up and several hours to run.

I then checked the new disk by booting from USB. It did work so I took the new drive out of the Allcam and put it inside the laptop. This was the hardest step and if you really don't want to do it you could just use it as an external drive but that's not ideal.

There, my computer was saved and I also saved myself a day of fiddling about installing. I can now use the Allcam for an external backup drive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab product, 3 Feb 2014
I needed this to access data on a hard drive from a laptop that had died. It was very easy to use and did the job admirably. Don't be put off by the 'screws' comments - I didn't find any to deal with - perhaps mine is an improved version. The hard drive fitted in perfectly and the enclosure snapped shut. I plugged it in and next thing I was viewing all those files I had thought might be lost. I don't normally leave feedback, but this time I am so delighted I have to!

5.0 out of 5 stars Allcam HDD Enclosure, 18 May 2013
This is an excellent product!

I have used a number of different enclosures over the years, some have been really good, some very poor; this one is excellent. It is very easy to put together - no screws, it works with a range of drives and the drives fit very snugly into the case. I bought 20 as I am changing the HDD in the school laptops for SSD drives and using the HDD as external storage. So far everyone has worked very well and each takes a matter of minutes to put together.

HIGHLY recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Allcam USB2 2.5" SATA Hard Drive Enclosure, 19 Mar 2013
Peter Thomas - See all my reviews
A very neat caddy, tough, nice rounded corners, easy to assemble. It snaps together with a reassuring click. There is a release button to re-open the case. Ideal caddy at a brilliant price.