5.0 out of 5 stars Useful, attractive book which I will use again and again, 4 Aug 2013
Although I know something about therapeutic writing, I found this book really useful and learnt lots. As the title suggests, the book provides 49 different ideas for writing yourself well. I write in my journal every day and am familiar with some of the ideas, but there are others that I wasn't aware of and will use. I especially liked the ideas on writing the labyrinth, poetry medicine, drawing and intuition. The book is beautifully produced and it's a real pleasure to flick through it. I also liked the fact that all of the ideas are backed up with up to date research and found the resources section particularly useful. If you have ever wanted to keep a journal and don't know where to start then this book will be a great purchase. And if you do keep a journal but want some ideas to keep it fresh then you won't go wrong with this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Investment, 28 Aug 2013
Roxanne M. Johnson (Yorktown Hgts., New York United States) - See all my reviews
Writing. It's the most rigorously honest endeavor a person can undertake. In the contents of this book, I found a therapist. A confidant. A friend. The exercises are illuminating and helped me find my Authentic Self stripped of all pretense. They gave voice to emotions that block my personal growth. This is not a book to be rushed through. I poured over each page and all of a sudden, the Light came in! An excellent investment in myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars From a neuroscience perspective, 14 Sep 2013
Anything that releases emotions from your brain and body - like aerobic exercise, psychological therapies or journaling - reduces stress levels and guides the path to emotional stability and recovery. This book is a simple guide to doing just that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful aid, 18 Oct 2013
Packed with useful tools, this cathartic book is great for dipping into for useful writing prompts, creative activities and inviting inspiration. I preferred to utilise it as a tool in this way rather than read it in a linear fashion.

The book starts by summarising the contents of each chapter, which is useful as the reader can prioritise how they digest its content according to need or interest. The author draws on concepts from some of the greatest in the field of creativity and writing in a clever way that prompts further reading and proactivity. A useful and theraputic book.

5.0 out of 5 stars An inspirational book, 12 Mar 2014
49 ways to write is well written and researched the exercises are thought provoking and cathartic. As a nurse practitioner healer and therapist I would highly recommend this book to anyone who wishes to improve their well being and make positive changes in their lives. I was able to explore my own lives and reflect on past and current issues to aid my own healing. I will certainly use sections of this book with my clients and with people attending my workshops. Jackee certainly has a way with words that captures her audience to read learn and grow thank you for enlightening us with your wisdom and vision

5.0 out of 5 stars Great source for all ages, 1 Jan 2014
I use elements from this book with my primary pupils and the benefits have been wonderful. They have embraced the idea of writing and are developing and progressing using the freedom of writing as a channel.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real nugget of a book, 22 Aug 2013
Having spent time with this book over the summer holidays, I can see this becoming a real rock to help keep me grounded in my life, as well as a rocket to get me going with my writing! This is a treasure trove with gems of advice; a teacher, a companion for self-discovery, a real friend on life's journey. There are so many snippets of wisdom (well, 49 in fact), inside this little tome, that it feels like Tardis when you open it - I can get lost in there for hours. Lost in a good way, you understand. If you are a self-help fanatic this will delight you; if you are just stepping into the world of self-help, this will welcome you with open arms; if you are self-help fanatic who has reached the de-cluttering stage, this is a godsend - you can fling all your other self help books into the charity book bag and keep this by your bedside. And if you love writing, this will treat you to unexpected ideas and experiences in writing. All you need now is a pen, notebook, and this book... Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book!, 12 Aug 2013
Mrs. G. E. Workman (UK) - See all my reviews
Jackee is an amazing teacher who leads you into places you didn't know existed, and empowers you to access writing voices you didn't know you had! This book is so easy to read and understand and I'm finding it so helpful. I do write, but from time to time get 'stuck' with getting my pen onto the page. I've found that being gently taken through these pages by Jackee's voice has enabled me to get going again. Her 'Write Now' exercises seem to unblock me, then after completing one each day, I am able to then write more and more stories, which I am collecting together. I hear that she also teaches writers retreats, so I want to get myself booked onto one. For me, Jackee's way of getting you to write from the heart really works and I'd definately recommend her to others!

4.0 out of 5 stars How to, needs a hand, 9 Aug 2013
This is the type of book that requires a therapist to guide, coach and encourage, rather than 'do-it-yourself'. It is a great tool to get you there if you have enthusiasm and the 'get-up-and-go' spiritual determination. However, as with the rest of the series, you do need some form of encouragement from a guide-person, rather than this guide-book. The exercises are great in theory, but you need to someone to encourage you to commit to the practical.

5.0 out of 5 stars Writing & Wellbeing - the perfect combination, 10 Nov 2013
As an author of well-being books and books about writing, I was at first intrigued by the combination of these two areas in Jackee Holder's latest book, then deeply impressed by the way in which she weaves together the practice of writing with emotional health. The book is dense with information: it reminded me of many useful models, such as the Karpman Triangle, I'm OK You're OK, Parent/Child/Adult Ego States... in the context of writing; and synthesised the best elements of gurus like Julia Cameron and James Pennebaker. The 49... format makes each section readable and self-contained - the perfect book to dip into for inspiration or follow step-by-step to enhance your writing and emotional life.

How To Write Fiction Without The Fuss
The Real Secret: what to do when the universe hasn't delivered