So if you're familiar with the legendary Evangelion Tv series, 1.11 and 2.22 will have been mostly familiar to you.

However with the insane cliffhanger ending of 2.22, we knew we'd be stepping into unknown worlds with 3.33 and we surely weren't let down.

Evangalion 3.33 is an excellent continuation of these new rebuilds, following the story of terminally morose Eva Pilot Shinji Ikari who awakes after his actions at the end of 2.22 to find a world he barely recognises... And no longer has a place in. Struggling more than ever to fit in he finds a new friend in an unexpected place and his already very strange life takes a turn no one could predict.

Gods I can't wait for 4.44
on 6 July 2014
I'm basing this review on the film itself not this particular release, I'll update if needed when it's available but it should be pretty close in most respects to the Japanese Blu-ray release. (of which the picture and sound quality is as solid as you would expect).

The Rebuild of Evangelion project has changed a lot from its original intended goal. At the start it was meant to be a near straight remake/retelling of the original, using modern animation to provide more exciting action sequence. RE:Evangelion 1 more or less stuck to this concept with a pretty close retelling of the first six episodes of the series though diverging in some details in the latter half and the final scenes hinting at big divergences to come.

RE:Evangelion 2 took that concept further, consisting of familiar scenes and scenarios but changed to tell a very different story that took the characters in new directions. Evangelion 2.22 is simply one of my all time favourite films. I couldn't even guess how many times I've watched the original series and films, and they will always be there so it was a huge thrill for Evangelion to both be familiar but surprise me. Also despite being a middle act of series of films it has really satisfying story arc and it stands up among the greatest examples of how a middle film should be.

I'll avoid spoilers as much as possible but to continue I need to say this: Evangelion 3.33 is an even bigger departure from the Evangelion series. This has attracted a lot criticism, however, as huge fan of the original series I'm fine with that because as I said I can always revisit the original series if I want to. While I would have loved more of 2's remixing of the familiar I don't have a problem with 3's direction.

However there are some issues with the film. Most serious for me, where Evangelion 2.22 shines as a great example of a middle film Evangelion 3.33 falls flat. It ends with a lot of new hanging plot threads with not much movement on the ones left from 2.22. We can mostly give it a pass on that but the story arc of the film isn't particularly satisfying and while things have certainly moved forward the story feels further than before from a conclusion. Also, and this applies primarily and heavily to one character, the move into the unfamiliar makes it very hard to recognise any of the character we know in this version, there's a lot going on in the film and they don't really get enough face time to make sense of it.

There is plenty about the film to enjoy. Again it's great to see Evangelion go new places, and the action sequences are great. However Kawrou really steals the show in by far his most interesting appearance in any media.

Overall it feels like the events of the entire films would work better as the first half an hour of a two hour film, rather than stand as a film on its own. Even so it doesn't deserve a fraction a of the hate it gets. My advice is to sit back and enjoy being completely lost with not idea where events are going. If you do it'll be an enjoyable time with the most unexpected hour and a half Evangelion has to offer.
on 20 May 2014
NOTE: This is a review of the theatrical release, Evangelion 3.0, that was shown in select cinemas. I will update this review when the DVD/Blu-ray is released.
After two, or so, years of waiting the third chapter in the Rebuild of Evangelion is released, and what a ride it is. I will this now for any Evangelion fan that it has definitely been worth the wait. It is by far the best in the series and it takes the world of Evangelion to new heights, as well as a new direction. This is the first film in the series to be original and new to the franchise. The previous films were similar to the original series, but this is completely different. It still has things that Evangelion fans already know about, but done slightly differently. Such as the reveal to an amazing plot twist.

STORY
Continuing after the events of 2.22, You Can (Not) Advance, the film opens up to Asuka's fight against an Angel, and she appears onto the screen in style. But where is Shinji? Rei? Or even Gendo? Shinji is on board a ship and is being held by the freedom fighters known as Willie, and their mission is to annihilate NERV a long with the EVA series. Shinji has no idea what's going on. Misato is leading this group of fighters, and Asuka hates him.
The film focuses on Shinji's reaction to the world he knew disappearing for ever, as well as the emotional ride that you take as Shinji goes down roads of depression. Throughout the first half of the film, like Shinji, you have no idea what is going on. Which is good, as you are in the same boat as the main character and whatever he learns you learn. This film isn't as action packed as the last two films though, so don't expect to see much of an action film. This film does focus solely on Shinji, and the fact that everything has changed. But when the action get's going it doesn't disappoint, and the build up is perfectly done for this film.
The films direction is so well done that when an emotional scene approaches you can feel what it is Shinji is going through, and it is done well visually as well. Though there is one scene that is kind of weird, and feels out of place, it's still a symbolic moment in the film that Evangelion is famous for.
I would also like to point out that if people watched the secret ending to Evangelion 2.22 you will find some inconsistencies if you compare, but I'm going to guess that the scenes they used were better, or they wanted to keep certain scenes for 4.0. Though that doesn't explain the whole ending to the film.
Speaking of not explaining! The film does like to introduce certain bits and pieces but doesn't explain itself. I'm going to have a guess that it'll all be explained in 4.0, which is fine as a good chunk of the film sometimes feels like an info dump, but sometimes you feel like more could be explained. As well as the film being longer so that it can explain more, but hey we got what we got. Which isn't bad by no means; I was just hoping for more.

CHARACTERS
This film introduces a whole range of new characters, but the flaw with having a film based around what the main character experiences is that you don't get to go into a lot of detail about said characters. Most new characters are tossed aside because they're not too relevant to the plot, along with Mari being Asuka's one-liner sidekick in battles. I wish the film went into more detail on most of the characters, but then you wouldn't have the emotional dive that you take with Shinji.
Out of all the characters in the film Shinji is the one character that has a lot of stuff being flingged around in his face. He has no idea of what's going on, everybody hates him, his farther is the same as ever, Rei is Rei, and Kaworu is the only person Shinji can turn to.
The development of Kaworu was really good, and a lot better than what was done in the original series. Shinji's delve into depression is something that can get to you, as it is done in such a way that you get what he's going through. This film is where characters have a sudden leap in development, or they go backwards due to circumstances, and it is done brilliantly.

ANIMATION & SOUND
The animation is, again, better than the previous one. This time the animation is so crisp, and sharp that everything looks brilliant. I can not describe how good it looks, but it is brilliant.
If you caught a special screening of it then you would know that it was in Japanese with English subtitles, so I can't comment on Funimation's English dub until the DVD/Blu-ray is released. But the acting was good, as far as Japanese voices go that is. I will say now that I do prefer to watch things in the language I understand, but I'm not going to ridicule it because of that. The Japanese voices are good, and they do give off a lot of emotion through out the film. Though the annoying thing with subtitles is that you either focus on the animation, or you focus on the subtitles and miss a few things here and there. But keep in mind that I usually watch dubs, if one is available that is.
The music is also good. In fact, like the previous movie, it was better than the one before. I can not describe the music apart from being both beautiful and epic at the same time. The soundtrack just shows how good of a composer Shiro Sagisu is, as well as how good of an orchestra the London Studio Orchestra is. There were even a few tracks that at the beginning reminded me of Star Wars. Like with the music to the previous films it can be listened to without the film, and it is still enjoyable. I can officially say that Shiro Sagisu is one of my top favorite composers ever, based on his work on the whole of Evangelion and Bleach.

OVERALL
This film is the not only the next level in the Evangelion franchise, but it is a fantastic movie altogether. This is the turning point in the Evangelion franchise, and is done in a certain way that shows off great direction on Hideaki Anno's part. This is an absolute must see to anyone, though if you haven't seen the previous movies I do recomend watching those first. It's because of this film that the Evangelion movies is at number one of my favorite anime movies, but also my favorite Sci-Fi movies.
I recommend this movie with an option to buy if you are an Evangelion fan, and an option to rent, or buy, the other Evangelion films to people who haven't seen them yet.
Before I go I will leave everyone with a quote from the original series; "The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth." Dare I say that Evangelion has been reborn, and this is by far the best in the rebuild series.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 19 September 2014
Love it, but only german subtitled!!
on 28 July 2015
Yes good fast delivery great quality
on 23 July 2015
Be careful! The current seller 'unique - place UK' is currently dispatching the German version of the movie which, although PAL region 2, only comes with the German / Japanese audio track and German subtitles.

Although I appreciate it's stated as German language in the product description it's deceptive for a stated UK based seller on Amazon.co.uk to be selling German media, one would assume it was in English as it's not explicitly stated in the item name and the title is in English.

Poor show!
on 14 July 2015
The version listed as DVD EVANGELION: 3.33 is Italian, so presumably does NOT have an English language dub or subtitles.
on 7 March 2015
FYI, I ordered this and got the Itallian version.
on 29 June 2015
Were is region 2 evangelion 3.33 ?
on 29 March 2015
No English subs. Oddly, after checking Anime News Network (and other sites), I discover that this film has not had an official release yet!!