Size: 21,5 "|Style Name: 2 Point Touch|Change

on 10 January 2015
I'd been looking for a reasonably priced monitor of this size to use for machine setups as well as my arcade console with the TankStick and came across this in the lightning sale. At a lower price than a standard 23 inch monitor and with 10 point multi-touch (which means it's capable of detecting 10 separate fingers) I figured I'd give it a go.

A bit bigger than I'd expected with the base and unit, however that's necessary to some extent given the flexible nature of the monitor itself: angle it any way you want or even lay it down flat. The display has very good colour reproduction and viewing angles, so from that basic monitor side it worked a treat. Things only get better with two HDMI inputs as well as an old-school VGA, so you can use it on more than one device, switching between them for display purposes.

The touch side only works with one of the connected devices however, since you need to plug the USB cable from the monitor into the PC to carry the information to it, however once you do this thing is fantastic with Windows 8.1 (as well as Windows 10). The real surprise was using it with Mac OS X though - while it isn't multi-touch (since that's not a function in the Mac OS) it DOES register the touches like a mouse allowing you to use it really well when you're running Mac OS X.

Great as a regular monitor and adding a lot of fun and functionality to it with the touch features it's a great buy considering it's price is on par with a lot of 23" monitors. As with any touch display it will mark up with fingerprints however you don't see/notice these when it's on.

If you're running something like Windows with touch services this is a great device for the cost and surprisingly, it's really useful in OS X too (haven't tried Linux yet but having just thought of it I'll give that a go too).

The only thing to consider is the size of it as it has it's own stand as the base however this doesn't detract from the functionality and it's a lot more useful than buying an all in one with a touch screen.
on 19 November 2014
For £195 on Deal of the day this was a steal.

The image is great and the sound on it better than any monitor so far used for sound.

The touchscreen reacts well and is far better than my tablet.

On the negative side -

No UK power cord provided - oh come on Amazon supply the UK with products for the UK. It's a three pin kettle lead so we had a 'few' spares....

No displayport cable - yes I would have liked one as I have been using a displayport to HDMI cable for my present monitor - a bit silly.

The quick set up guide is a heiroglyphic jumble probably written by a Klingon academic i.e. not for English speaking people.

The 'manual' runs in auto run (which all sensible people disable) and there are no pointers to the right .exe to run.

That being said it doesn't take a genius to realise that the USB cable has to be connected for touchscreen INPUT - it may not but I was at the point of sending the monitor back before I worked that out :0( Not exactly intuitive in the days of plug and play when touch screens are new, but humiliatingly obvious when you think about it.

Would I pay more - maybe but probably not. would I pay the same or less - yes.
on 2 January 2015
I tend to spend a lot of time in front of my computer, mostly for work purposes. Even though I have access to my University's PC labs with 22 inch monitors, I needed a monitor that would make a comfortable reading/working experience, have decent colour reproduction for photo editing, and have a touchscreen that can be used with different LJ software. It does fit these roles perfectly and is remarkably easy on the eyes.

Pros:
- IPS panel, providing good experience for the price (viewing from below distorts colours a bit, and there is a slight glow around the edges, otherwise it's perfect)
- Fast and comfortable touchscreen experience
- A very versatile and stable stand - it may take up more space but at the same time doesn't require to have sufficient room at the back like other touchscreen monitors do
- 2 USB 3.0 ports
- Plenty of connectors (HDMI + 2ch audio out, VGA, DisplayPort)

Cons:
- No webcam
- Integrated speakers rather quiet - would expect more for the monitor of this size
on 25 November 2014
Do far so good (after only one evening of use).
Out of the box was an immediate impression of quality -- all required cables were supplied (VGA, HDMI, USB, Audio, Power), the monitor and the stand were already assembled and came out as a complete unit, strapped down with a custom webbing strap for future use.
Plugged in to my PC (Windows 8.1) by simply plugging in the USB cable and then swapping the HDMI from my old monitor to this new one. Worked without issue. I installed the drivers from the supplied disk and everything was hunky-dory.

I would recommend, although I managed to get mine at a sale price and full price might have put me off.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 4 May 2013
If you're spending nearly 500 quid on a desktop touchscreen monitor, say this 23" screen size, then you should expect more for your money. As new products, touchscreen monitors are very expensive indeed and could be for a while till the breakeven of R&D cost. If your need is motivated by the new Windows 8, then you've just found the most expensive part of your PC system.

The high cost of touchscreen monitor may compel you to consider some serious options which you may not have considered before. Here are some of the options to think about.

1) Consider getting a tablet computer instead. For instance, the cost for Microsoft Surface with Windows RT is comparable to a 27" touchscreen monitor alone, if not cheaper from some outlets. Note that this may be a serious proposition in some situations considering the fact that you may never get used to the muscular pain inflicted by the desktop touchscreen monitor. Tablet computers in general fit very well into the touch technology due to their mobility for comfortable touch-positioning. On the contrary, we have to re-train our hands to use a desktop touchscreen monitor - a big step for the wrist used to resting on worktop and controlling the rodent with minimal effort.

2) Consider getting Touchscreen-All-In-One computer. This is a complete computer package with the touchscreen monitor included - an amazingly attractive proposition since the price of All-In-One computer is not far off the price of a monitor alone.

3) If getting a touchscreen monitor is unavoidable, try to maximize value by looking for features that will minimize the overall cost (or enhance your system usability/flexibility, etc.). You may want to go down this route because you may already have a computer system in place (may be you just built it from new motherboard and CPU) and you want to posh up your Windows 8 system with a new zero-bezel touchscreen monitor.

Unfortunately for me option 3 above is the case. I am therefore looking for features that will directly or indirectly reduce the overall cost of building my system. Here are the features I am expecting from my expensive touchscreen monitor:

1) Webcam - touchscreen monitors that expensive should really provide this feature when video calls such as Skype are expected to be the norm now and increasingly so in the near future. Yes, I can pick up a standalone webcam for about 20 quid but I can no more tolerate the inconvenience of attaching standalone webcam to the monitor (yes, constantly falling off) and this will even be more difficult with bezel-less monitors (which is the requirement for Windows 8 touchscreens). [So a note to manufacturers: please consider a webcam as a vital part of touchscreen monitor in the 21st century; as important, please make sure the webcam is positioned right by taking account of the slanted monitor positioning, else the person at the other end will be getting more view of the ceiling].

2) For the high cost, I would still expect all the video inputs - DVI-D, HDMI, and VGA (D-Sub) inputs. My existing monitor has VGA, DVI, and HDMI inputs and with KVM switch I can easily switch between two computers (a server with VGA and desktop with DVI-D) and after acquiring an expensive touchscreen I do not wish to lose this flexibility. (Similarly, the HDMI input was very handy on an occasion or two when I needed to connect my PS3 while upgrading its HDD). Sadly, some manufacturers (such as Dell) have started dropping the VGA and even DVI inputs for HDMI only inputs, which means having forked out a lot, you may get less indirectly such as losing the flexibility that was already in place.

3) An integrated audio is almost a standard now-a-days, but this built-in feature with good quality speakers (integrated or externally extendible) would be ideal; not a deal breaker but an attractive feature to have.

4) Again not a deal-breaker for me but provision of downstream USB ports (preferably USB 3.0) would be ideal. The integrated audio and USB port can add that value in minimising peripheral cost and clutter around the desktop.

So, how about this monitor?

I love this monitor, its look and almost everything, for instance it has [nearly] all the video input standards and audio and USB, EXCEPT that it has no built-in webcam. I said "nearly all" because this monitor provides a DisplayPort in lieu of DVI port, which means for DVI connectivity an adapter (cost approx. 10 to 20 quid) is required. In fact, this monitor is very similar to the Acer T232HL 23 inch Touchscreen Monitor in terms of features except for DisplayPort and DVI ports just referred to.

All these may not be as important to everyone but I can afford to wait until one comes along with the above features which are important to me. You never know - Viewsonic may take notice of this review ;-)

I hear you ask: "Will you be able to find what you're looking for?"

Based on my research, looks promising. I can see one across the pond (on Amzon.com) with a manufacturer name I've never come across - Planar Helium model number 997-6848-00 (ASIN B00937115E). Although at 27" screen size this is bigger than the 23/24" I am looking for, at least I know the features of interest do exist for a product (hence realistic expectation), which is also indicative of good prospect for a similar new product to show up here. Instead of DVI port this monitor provides DisplayPort which means for DVI connectivity an adapter would be required (about 10 to 20 quid). It also has VGA and HDMI ports as well as audio and USB hub built-in. Furthermore, according to Viewsonic's press release in January last, a 27" version of this touchscreen monitor - model Viewsonic TD2740 - will incorporate a built-in webcam. As of this review, the TD2740 is not yet on the market.

Do you rather have a very good quality webcam such as this (which you can mount on a tripod behind your display) than settle for one built into the display unit? If the answer is yes to this question, then consider the Acer T232HL Touchscreen Monitor; it provides all features except the webcam.

Reviews are all about sharing personal choices and preferences in the hope that others can make better informed choices. This review is written with that spirit.

Please pause for a moment and think before you vote unhelpful.

See related reviews for:
Acer T232HL 23 inch Touchscreen Monitor
Dell S2340T 23 inch Multi-Touch Monitor
LG 23ET83V 23 inch Touchscreen Monitor
on 8 January 2015
It does the job but has the worst viewing angle I've seen for a long time. At a 45 degree angle it looks like a monitor from about 20 years ago. Its also pretty useless as a touch screen for Windows 8 as the screen is recessed into the frame so you cant swipe from any edge. Wont be buy anything from View Sonic again.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 August 2014
love it after bad start with amazon order I reordered it o Thursday afternoon arrived11am Friday and that is not on prime quicker than the 3weeks it was going to take on prime anyway the monitor was easy to install no adjustment required excellent product would recommend to anybody excellent service by supplier
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 November 2015
Superb quality screen and very clever free-standing base which can be angled and folded down for easy transportation. Just used it at a trade show and it was perfect. Touch screen simple to use for presentations and navigation. Highly recommended
on 28 May 2015
I am very pleased with this excellent item of equipment, Thank you Amazon and Thank you to the supplier.
Kenneth Bromley
28/5/2015
on 12 August 2015
Very good monitor. I can run the game I play on highest settings. Very good monitor.