5.0 out of 5 stars Best fashion advice book by far!
Published 12 months ago by Bookwyrm_UK

Published 4 months ago by Sarah

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Best fashion advice book by far!, 25 Feb. 2014
This review is from: 1000 Outfits From Just 30 Pieces - Your Guide To Looking Hot & Fabulous On A Budget (Kindle Edition)
I found this book an absolute pleasure to read. Light hearted with a dash of humour, the author describes how to get the most out of the 30 pieces she says should form the basis of every woman's wardrobe. Do not be put off by this seemingly rigid number. The 30 pieces is a recommendation and the author suggests you add the odd piece in there to help add your own personal touch. If you follow this book you will have a wardrobe that you love, that you will no longer stand in front of and wonder what you will wear.

The book is written for an Australian market but seeing as in the UK our climate is almost similar, if not a little cooler, the only addition I would make is that of a warmer coat for those 'freeze your butt off' winter.

The only point I would have liked to have seen was a little more explanation of women's body shapes and how you can dress to accentuate these, but then this was not the purpose of the book!

4.0 out of 5 stars capsule wardrobe heaven!, 27 May 2014
An amazing book, which really helps with buying clothes with maximum wearability. This will save a lot of expensive mistakes, like all those items that lurk in your wardrobe ( usually bought in a sale) which you never wear because they just don't 'go' with anything else.
I am going to start buying as many of these basics in good quality as I can afford, apart from those I already have, and look forward to trying all the combinations on.
My only reason for not giving this book 5 stars was its Australian bias which means a lot of the outfits will not suit a Scottish winter , and not including any woollies. Any chance of some help there ?

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 12 Aug. 2014
I bought this book a few months ago and have found it both challenging and incredibly useful in equal measure.
I am still working through putting together a wardrobe made from an adapted version of Wendy's list, and have even put number stickers on my coat-hangers so I can see where I am up to!
I feel that the author has put a lot of thought into choosing the 30 pieces, and her experience with clients shines through, unlike many books I read which are so based on the writer's own experience that the core ideas aren't easily adaptable.

The challenge, for me anyway, is finding pieces which fulfill the criteria and also suit / fit me.
What I have done in the past is to give up and buy something else.
The list provides a focus and reminds me that it is better to stick it out and find one good item that fulfills many functions, rather than a bunch of sale buys which I may wear once in a while (if at all!)

I don't work in an office, and I missed having an example of a different list which didn't use jackets. Searching around I found Wendy's blog posts, and a few net postings of 30 item wardrobe examples by other readers, which were quite helpful.

It was somewhat anxiety provoking weeding out clothing items from my wardrobe. After a couple of months I realise that the difference now is that even when I am behind with the laundry, the items that remain in my wardrobe will still make a choice of outfits. I actually have more to wear, even though I have less clothes.

To sum up. The book is readable and workable. With a bit of thought the list can be adapted to different climates / circumstances. The difficulty, for me at least, is actually buying the items on the list.

5.0 out of 5 stars She makes it look so easy, 4 Jun. 2014
B. Maver "havana_banana" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
When I got to the end of the clothes section of "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying: A simple, effective way to banish clutter forever" I read this to see what the author recommended should be in your wardrobe.

I already have most of it apart from the stone coloured trousers and the high heels, both of which have drifted off unworn to charity shops in the past.

What she does miss out on is waterproof jackets and boots for British weather. Sometimes you need more than one of each in one day.

Apart from that since shopping isn't my favourite pastime the book is helpful with advice on what to wear with what and get a different look. Make use of what you have instead of going out for a new outfit.

I'll know what to look for when clothes shopping, which may not be any time soon. She writes with a sense of humour too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 10 April 2014
I loved this book it was down to earth and I found such a lot of useful information. Who would think that you could make so many outfits from just 30 Pieces but she proved its possible Definitely worth a read. I will certainly go back to it

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent guide, 12 Dec. 2013
I did not think you could do so much with so few pieces until I read this. Off to sort out my jam packed wardrobe.

5.0 out of 5 stars This was unexpectedly good. I had anticipated a list of the usual ..., 21 Aug. 2014
This was unexpectedly good. I had anticipated a list of the usual boring essentials and rules (white blouse, black trousers, never buy red shoes) but was thrilled to discover actual options. And instead of being met with the same trouble as appears in all such books (to clear out your closet: throw everything in the bin now!) this book gave sensible advice about how to work out what YOU need instead of rigidly demanding you don't own a pair of work out trousers. I'd really recommend this for anyone who has found their wardrobe is no longer suitable for their lifestyle (especially graduates who have just discovered all they own are holey jeans and battered Docs) and needs gentle guidance as to where to place their money.

The only problem I had with the advice is that whilst it might seem perfectly possible to own just thirty articles (excluding underwear) to wear on a regular basis this does mean doing an awful lot of washing. There are not even enough 'bottoms' options for a full week unless you have the luxury of not having children or a messy lifestyle and can wear the same trousers to work, a night out and a picnic in one week.

3.0 out of 5 stars Overall I think this book has some good advice, but I think readers will really want ..., 24 Oct. 2014
This book has just confirmed that 'the capsule wardrobe' is one of fashion's 'snare and delusions'. I, for one, will not be wearing a wardrobe largely comprised of black and stone coloured separates (I rarely wear either). Also, the author seems to think that you can wear the same pair of trousers with either ballet flats or high heels - in my experience, if trousers are the right length for ballet flats they look ridiculous with heels. I do however 'get' the opening advice about the general mix of types of clothing being the thing to watch for I.e mix of casual and work clothing according to how much time is spent on each and the mix between basics and what the author refers to as 'sparkly Sally' pieces. Overall I think this book has some good advice, but I think readers will really want to adapt it quite a lot.

5.0 out of 5 stars great styling tips - beware you will be spending a bit of money (but spending it wisely), 26 May 2014
This is a great styling book. It covers all the basics of what a stylish wardrobe should contain. It all makes a lot of sense, and doesn't buy too much into fashion trends, explaining how to create a large variety of gorgeous and appropriate 'outfits' for all kinds of normal everyday situations. It begins with a reflection on how you normally shop for clothes. ('Boring Betty' me, so I have now added a bit od sparkle and glam!) Well I never thought I would need a 'day time dress' but after reading this book and spending £13 on the perfect (second hand) one I can see how much it will actually get used. This book does allow for flexibility and your own style but it does need a bit of re-thinking and creativity on your own part. For instance I don't wear any black near my face as it makes me look washed out. I wouldn't be seen dead in a floral dress so had to think hard about the pattern. I also don't need work suits and stiletto heels for my lifestyle so I replaced most of the black pieces with chocolate brown, and got myself a dark grey-browny mushroom 'little black dress' but did keep the pair of black trousers and skirt therefore needing the black high heels (wedges for me thank you) and tan open toe high wedges to go with the brown skirt (in intend to leave black for winter wear only). Then I needed an extra tan bag in addition to the black clutch. As I walk quite far most days I also found myself needing a great pair of brown flat winter boots. Ditched the stilettos and pumps so came in at a total of 7 pairs of essential shoes. This just to give you an idea as to how you could replace some items. All in all a super helpful book. I can see myself just replacing/updating these key items piece by piece as and when they wear out or go out of style and it would still work due to the way colour is kept so simple for all the basics. There are a few pieces where you can add a bit of colour and of course there are endless possibilities with the use of accessories. It would be helpful to know from the start which colours and shapes suit you before you pick your items as this book doesn't advise on this. The spreadsheets with possible options are a bit gimmicky, you get the point anyway but it does show that the possibilities of different 'outifts' are almiost endless. Good if you want to limit your wardrobe to the essentials and cut a bit of fashion spending in the longer term. Great read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny!, 9 Nov. 2014
Having just had a major clear out of my wardrobe, I was intrigued enough by this book to download it. What a revelation. Although primarily aimed at the Australian market, it is easily adaptable to the rather cooler UK weather. I've substituted a black leather biker jacket for the lightweight black blazer - more practical ... and wow! I would never have thought I could look so good. But wow.

Lots of useful tips. I found I already had many of the suggested items already, but hadn't thought about putting them together in the way Wendy Mak describes.

I'd become rather stuck in a jeans and jumper rut, but now am finding clothes fun again. Recommend this book to everyone who ever opens their wardrobe and wonders how to put together a stylish outfit without having to spend a fortune on something new.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›