4.3 out of 5 stars1,121

I have just finished reading The Oyster Catcher, I literally didn't put it down and ended up devouring it in one evening! The author Jo Thomas has such a beautiful and skilled writing style and she manages to draw you into the storyline with such ease. Never before have I read a book or even had any kind of knowledge when it comes to Oyster Farming so I was surprised at how. Ugh my interest was piqued in this book, I found myself getting quite tense and mad with the arrival of Pirates!

Our main character Fi quite clearly has a dramatic reason for arriving in Dooleybridge and I loved how the author slowly fed us snippets and clues as to what had really happened to her. Fate seems to occur when she is in desperate need of a job and lodgings she meets Sean who is also in desperate need for someone to help on his Oyster Farm. Sean was a lovely if somewhat spiky character but I soon felt he had a hard shell ( see what I did there!) with a soft centre. There were some wonderful characters in this book and also some wonderfully bad characters, I found the characters were all so engaging.

There really is so much to commend in this book, from an interesting and unique storyline, a well written romance, a lot of down to earth humour, the odd touch of secrets and scandal, well written characters and a big dose of community spirit, what more could you ask for?

I was so excited and immersed in this storyline that now I am finished I feel a little flat! This is such a wonderful read one of my favourites of the year, I do love it when I find a new talented author and I am so shocked to find that this is a debut as for me this book was flawless, I can not wait for another book by this author.
on 29 April 2015
I loved this debut novel by Jo Thomas. A great storyline which builds around the arrival of Fi to Dooleybridge, a bit of a backwater that has seen better days. Fi is 'on the run' following her disastrous wedding and ends up working for Sean Thornton on his oyster farm, despite her chronic fear of water!
The eclectic mix of characters help to bring this story to life and Fi is soon part of the community and although initially dubious of Fi, Sean soon realises just how committed she is to the Oyster Farm.
I really enjoyed this book, it certainly taught me a lot about oysters! I will definitely look out for Jo's next novel :-)
on 6 February 2014
Before I say anything - just please please PLEASE read this book! I have spent so many hours of my life searching the Kindle store for something special, and been disappointed so many times. At first, I thought 'this book can't be good for 30p' but how wrong was I?!
This book had me glued from the first page; the characters were so realistic and likable, as was the story and the setting. I really couldn't predict what was going to happen next! I felt like I was actually there in Galway by the sea - you would think that the author was writing the book as she was walking in the characters footsteps, describing everything around her and everything that happens.
I love the style of writing too - it is mostly in first person from Fi's point of view, but effortlessly and naturally changes to a 3rd person narrative describing Sean's side of the story. It really works, giving you glimpses into both characters, something that I normally hate but really enjoyed this time.
The level of description and realism has inspired me as a want-to-be-Author and has made me realise how important and magical it is to feel like you're there, in the book. I'm sure this is going to be a huge hit - enjoy your first read of 'The Oyster Catcher' - I envy you :)
on 21 November 2013
Awesome read! Set in beautiful Galway Bay - a landscape that's strikingly described - and with an underlying romance that has you reading on the edge of your seat until the very last page! Lots to learn about growing up, becoming who you really are, and of course the closed world of oyster farming.
on 18 January 2015
What makes this novel different is its setting. Galway sounds absolutely stunning, and the weather is so well described that you can feel the wind and the rain as Fi and Sean battle the elements.

All of the local characters each had their own quirky personality and all brought something to the plot. No matter how reluctant they were to help Fi at first, you got a sense that they really loved their home town and the sense of community spirit had been rebuilt by the novel's end. Fi herself was a brilliant character too, she was brave and determined, and inspiring in her ability to make the most of a bad situation and build a new life for herself.

Another lovely touch to the book was the animals, who were characters in themselves. Grace the Great Dane and Freddie and Mercury the mischievous donkeys to name but a few all made me smile every time they were mentioned, and made Sean all the more fanciable in my eyes- everyone loves an animal lover.

5/5 stars: I can completely see why this novel took off like it did. A beautiful setting and a gorgeous hero. A novel full of humour and heart. I look forward to reading more from Jo Thomas in the future!
on 20 April 2014
There are so many typos in this book it is unbelievable that it got printed. I can't believe the author, the agent or the publisher actually read it as the typos totally distract from the story, which is full of cliches and predictable endings. It's a shame as I'm sure the author is a talented writer. It just didn't come across in this book. Attention wasn't paid to the situations the characters were in and it seems that perhaps the author forgot what had been written, for example, taking sips of tea whilst travelling in a van??

Despite that and the millions of typos I persevered until the end. Actually it was a relief to get through it.
on 31 January 2014
I loved this book from the start. Fi & Sean are great together and I felt like I knew them personaly! I couldn't wait to pick it up again and did not want the story to end.
My first read with Jo Thomas, now looking for more!
on 29 June 2014
The Oyster Catcher has all the elements of a decent romance - escape from previous life, evocative landscape, hard-to-fathom hero and careworn heroine. Yet I struggled with some of the storyline which seemed to drag on too long and with some of the peripheral characters who seemed slightly unbelievable. While Fi and Sean were interesting enough to make me find out what happened to them, I struggled to get to the end of this book. Nancy in particular was quite annoying and the other characters did not not hold my interest at all. The story of how Fi managed to get to Galway in the first place was also a bit drawn out. A shame really because the premise of the novel is actually quite an appealing one. Still worth a read but not one of the best in this genre I have read.
on 25 September 2015
When Fiona runs away on her wedding day, she doesn't know if she is married or not. After a disruptive childhood, she doesn't know who she is any more. She ends up in an isolated village on the Galway coast, literally by accident, then finds herself working for the solitary oyster farmer, Sean. Despite the constant cold and wet conditions, Fi becomes absorbed into helping Sean make a success of his business, despite her often bumbling attempts at helping and her fear of the sea. In doing so, she finds herself and becomes part of the community. the amount of research undertaken by Jo Thomas must have been staggering yet one is never over-burdened with information. A warm-hearted and often funny book which I thoroughly enjoyed.
I only bought this after reading Jo's second book The Olive Branch which I loved. This then is Jo's first book and I found the story both different and interesting, full of twists and turns and with the essential happy ending.

The story is about a post wedding jilted bride (groom ran off with the best man) who find herself in Ireland, alone and wet and broke. Then she gets a job... No more as I do not wish to spoil the story. Suffice to say that this is a page turner, making you want to know (need to know) what happens next. A brilliant first book by Jo Thomas, who is obviously a talented and imaginative writer.

Her second book The Olive Branch to my mind, is even better.