4.0 out of 5 stars Compact, good value for money but the cable is short
Published on 25 Jan. 2011 by bomble

3.0 out of 5 stars It works, but has some issues
This is a decent USB hub. I like being able to plug devices into the front. This is a feature that many USB hubs don;t have and it is very useful. This USB hub has two issues. The first (very minor problem) is that it has a very large red light on the front to indicate that it's on. This is annoying, but I covered it with some electrical tape.

The second (more...
Published 4 months ago by Seb Grey

4.0 out of 5 stars Compact, good value for money but the cable is short, 25 Jan. 2011
bomble "bomble" (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I agree with the gist of other reviews; this is a handy and compact USB mini hub that allows you to connect more devices without cluttering up your workspace. I have a very old laptop with only one USB port so this device has really improved its capabilities. Being so compact and light I'd say it was designed with laptop users in mind. I also find it very helpful for leaving connected to my iMac which has its USB ports in an inaccessible place behind the display.

My two criticisms are firstly that the cable is short which means you'll need an extension cable if you plan to use it at a distance from your pc. And secondly, the spacing between the ports is quite narrow meaning that some USB pen drives and other direct plug in devices won't fit next to each other. I suppose this is an inevitable limitation of a compact hub but it's worth knowing in advance.

It's good value and adds to my positive impression of the Amazon Basics line of products.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not cheap, but does the job, 7 May 2014
Mr. A. Taylor-Bennett (Chichester, UK) - See all my reviews
This is necessary for my MacBook pro (used as a desktop, in clamshell mode) as it isn't over-endowed with USB ports. Of the two USB sockets on the MacBook, I reserve one for the output to my off-board DAC which feeds my HiFi, and use the other for this replicator from which I feed my iPhone and iPads. It works fine, apart from two occasions when it seems to have 'hung'; disconnecting the power for a few seconds sorted it out. The device itself is a good size, but the cable from the transformer to the mains socket is stonking - it looks as though it could supply a block of flats! When connected, my iPad still generates the on-screen warning that it's not charging, even though I have plugged it into a 'fast' port. But it is.
Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good little hub, but why is the cable so short?, 24 Jan. 2011
Glasgow Dreamer (Glasgow Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Absolutely fine - really everything you would need in a mini-hub. I find it very convenient to be able to have all my devices permanently connected to the PC, and this hub takes care of that function perfectly. I have noticed no reduction in performance on either of the two external hard-drives I have connected, or on the USB turntable.

Once again, Amazon Basics need to be praised for their no-nonsense packaging. Plain, re-usable boxes with no unnecessary waste.

The one slight minus is that the cable is less than nine inches long, so may be left dangling behind your PC, thus making the spaghetti mess there even worse. It would have been much more sensible to have a metre of cable, so the hub could sit some distance away from the PC.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazon Basics USB 2 Hub, 29 Sept. 2012
Amazon Customer (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I have now had the chance to use this USB 2 hub unit and found that it worked first time. As with any USB hub there were issues with some very specific items that I wanted to use via it but the same issues have happened on all the hubs I have tried - not the fault of the hub. Overall it is very well made and the fit of the USB links is very firm with very little chance of them dropping out. Items that I use on other hubs also worked first time on this one without any issues. In short I was delighted with it and would buy another one in the future should I need to.

3.0 out of 5 stars It works, but has some issues, 23 Nov. 2014

The second (more annoying) problem is that my hard drives randomly eject from it. I usually have two hard rives plugged into it and up to two devices charging from it. It is plugged into the mains and connected to my Mac. Sometimes, one hard drive will randomly eject from my computer. I have to unplug the drive from the hub and plug it in again. I don't know if I have a defective unit, but it's slightly frustrating.

I still give this product 3 stars because it works reasonably and charges devices well. It is also very good for the price - similar products cost up to twice the price.

1.0 out of 5 stars great for 2 weeks then broke, 27 Dec. 2014
Was initially impressed and the reviews were great but after 2 weeks suddenly it stopped picking up any thing plugged in that transfers data, initially I thought my external hd was broken as it had no light showing but the light was on the usb hub but it then . Then I checked other external plug in, my brother printer...nothing but worked directly into the pc. Strangely my phone charger worked and usb light so it was working for power sources but not for anything needing data.....returned and refunded..

1.0 out of 5 stars Blew up my motherboard, smells of electrical burning..., 31 July 2014
This review is for the Amazonbasics 7-port USB 3.0 Hub with 12V / 3A Power Adapter:

After receiving this hub, i plugged it into the power outlet using the supplied power brick (yes it comes with a power brick similar to a notebook computer) and then plugged in the USB 3.0 cable into a USB 3.0 port on my PC motherboard. The hub worked as advertised for approximately 3-5 minutes during which time i tested two devices, one was a USB 3.0 Sandisk flash drive, and the other a USB 3.0 Icybox drive enclosure. Both worked flawlessly for about 3-5 minutes.

Then, the Sandisk flash drive disconnected, then my mouse, then every other usb device connected to any port on my computer motherboard. Seconds later my PC powered itself off and refused to power back up. I could smell electrical burning coming from the USB hub. Now my best motherboard is severely damaged, it bluescreens often and randomly and wont always power on, thanks a bunch amazon!

I suspect a component has burnt out or failed in such a way that either the 12v rail inside the hub has somehow shorted to USB 5v,D+,D-, or there is a short on the USB 5V inside the hub (but most USB host controllers should be able to handle over-current gracefully, so i suspect the hub shorted the 12v from its power brick).

I shall not be touching anymore Amazon branded electronics if the quality control is this poor (or dangerous!).

4.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for a Raspberry Pi, 4 Mar. 2014
Ian (Norwich, UK) - See all my reviews
NOTE: THIS REVIEW APPLIES ONLY TO THE 7-PORT USB 2.0 PRODUCT WITH TWO HIGH-CURRENT OUTPUTS. OTHER PRODUCTS SHOWN HERE WILL BEHAVE DIFFERENTLY.

Rather than having a power supply for my Raspberry Pi and another power supply for a hub, I wanted to power the Pi from the hub. The trouble is that most hubs will only supply 500mA per port, which is not really enough for a Pi. Some hubs tout a higher-current "charging mode" option, but that usually requires the attached device to actively request the extra power. Since the Pi just connects the power terminals and no data, that wont work. This hub is simpler insofar as it just allows a higher current draw of 1.2A from two of the ports.

That means a slightly incestuous arrangement of two cables where the Pi is powered from the hub and also connected to the input of the hub, but it does work well and saves on one mains power adapter. Note this hub does not "back-power" the Pi down the host cable.

The hub itself is rather smaller than I expected (not a bad thing), and the base plate can be attached to the side instead to allow a horizontal mount. That does mean the hub has an ugly lump sticking out of the side when mounted vertically. It is a very light device so, with up to 8 USB cables plus the power cord, it is no way going to stay where you put it unless you stick it down. It can be fiddly to insert cables or devices into the closely-packed sockets, so probably best not plan to use this for anything other than a semi-permanent setup.

I haven't really stressed the capabilities of the hub, but, in addition to the Pi power, I have had 4 real devices attached, including an external HDD also powered from this hub, and it behaves perfectly.

I was impressed with Amazon's "frustration free" packaging, being easy to open and made almost entirely of recyclable card.

Overall I like the functionality and would buy another one, but I would have preferred a simpler shape without the stand and a more accessible layout of sockets given, judging from it's weight, it must have mostly empty space inside it.

1.0 out of 5 stars problems with power cutting out, 15 May 2014
John Nunn (Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: AmazonBasics 10-Port USB 3.0 Hub (Personal Computers)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A lovely design, and the perfect number of ports to keep even me happy, however mine had a significant issue with the power cutting out and locking the hub up every 15 or so minutes, Wouldn't have been such a problem if I wasn't using for my wireless keyboard and mouse.

I have since replaced it with the superb Anker 7 port hub and had no problems.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty much as expected from Amazon, 8 Dec. 2014
[To be clear, since Amazon has a tendency to lump together reviews for different variants of a product category, I'm reviewing here the AmazonBasics 7-Port USB 3.0 Hub with 12 V / 3 A Power Adapter]

The item itself is a neat unit: 5 USB ports at the rear and two USB ports marked 'fast' at one side. Let's get the only downside out of the way immediately. The two 'fast' ports are, I believe, intended to indicate 'fast' as in power charging rate rather than data transmission rate. Hopefully all 7 ports are fully USB 3.0 in data speed. However, even these two 'fast' ports are unable to kick out enough juice to convince an iPad that it's charging. When I connect an iPad to these ports, iTunes springs in to life (oh how I hate that, but that's an issue for another discussion elsewhere) so clearly the PC I have knows the device is there. But the iPad resolutely stays with the message "Not charging" up next to the battery indicator symbol. But it lies. It is actually charging, just extremely slowly. Sorry, that should be e-x-t-r-e-e-e-m-e-l-y slowly. I would honestly have thought that a mains-powered USB hub could have performed better than this. Yes, I know it's Basics but I can't believe that supplying, say, a 5A adapter would have been any more expensive than a 3A one. And with some extra electricity available, it could have been allocated to the ports a bit better than it is at present.

There. That's it. The only gripe out of the way. Packaging was simple as ever from this range. Installation was literally just plug all the bits in. And all the equipment I've attached so far has worked. iPad, phone, two USB sticks etc. There's not actually a lot you can review about a USB hub. It either works or it doesn't.

So, lose a star for not meeting my charging expectations and for being late as a Prime delivery. I like it, I just don't love it.

AmazonBasics 10-Port USB 3.0 Hub