5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the money
I've been looking at the various types of these cameras for quite a while, trying to decide on the best buy. The general consensus is the quality of the display on a lot of the makes is not very good and if they are not, then there is not much point in having one if you are trying to prove you are the innocent party in a Road Traffic Accident.

However the...
Published 1 month ago by Michael

2.0 out of 5 stars Good but dont leave in car for long periods in damp weather.
Published 2 months ago by Si All

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the money, 27 Oct 2014
This review is from: Transcend 16GB DrivePro 200 Car Video Recorder with Built-In Wi-Fi (Electronics)

However the quality of the display on the DrivePro 200 is very good indeed. Played back on a 27" HD television the picture quality is incredible.

The only feature I didn't like about it was the supplied stick-on bracket for mounting the camera on the windscreen. I therefore purchased their suction mount for an extra £6.99, which works perfectly. I've mounted the whole assembly behind the Rear View Mirror. This position has two advantages, it's not obvious to the opportunist thief and it does not obstruct my view out of the windscreen.

Since I installed it, I realise that I am consciously driving more carefully as it's recording just how well (or badly) I'm driving. The camera also records sound so you can hear in the recording when you signal your intentions.

If you are involved in an accident the very best feature is the previous 10 seconds and the next 50 seconds are stored in a separate protected folder on the card, so you don't have to hunt though 140 or so files to find the evidence you want. These emergency recordings are started either by the internal G-sensor detecting an impact or if you see an accident ahead, by pressing the red emergency button on the side.

Taking it out of the box and plugging it in to the car was all the set-up that was necessary. However there are a number of settings you can alter if you want, but it works perfectly well with its default settings.

The file length can be 1, 3 or 5 minutes. The default setting is set at one minute and that seems fine. Once the disk is full it starts overwriting the oldest files, and with a 16Gb card that's about 2hrs 20minutes recording time in HD.

Once you have downloaded the app, it can be WiFi connected to a tablet to download the camera files. This is convenient but slow. One point here to watch is, if you are using an iPad you must allow the app access to the camera roll otherwise the download does not work. You can of course just take out the micro sd card and plug it into a computer or even just plug the camera into the computer.

In a nutshell this is a device that can be installed in your car and forgotten about. It turns itself on when the car is started and off when the ignition is turned off. But if you are involved in an incident all the evidence you need is there in exceptional quality and it's easy to find and give to the police and insurance company. I don't like spending money, but this was a very worthwhile investment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved my behind!, 24 May 2014
Was involved in an accident which without the evidence this camera produced I would have been viewed as at fault. Sure enough the 3rd party not knowing I had recorded the incident tried to claim for whiplash and an investigator was sent out to meet me. Unfortunately for the 3rd party the HD video from the DrivePro clearly showed the guy turning his wheel towards me and hitting my car not the other way round.

Without this I'd have lost 6 years NCB and had to pay £500 excess so the camera has more than paid for itself.

5.0 out of 5 stars First dash cam, can't fault it!, 23 April 2014
Length:: 1:01 Mins

I'm not a person who normally leaves reviews, but this camera definitely warrants praise.

- - - -

Background: I'm a first time driver, I want a camera to use as evidence in a non-fault incident should one ever arise; I felt a camera would provide security in a 'his word against my word' scenario.

- - - -

I knew I didn't want to spend a lot of money, no more than £100, but I didn't want to go for a cheap £40 option. I did a bit of research on Google and read reviews on an array of different options on Amazon. I ended up opting for this camera and I'm glad I did!

I had my reservations, but when I received it the other day I set it up in my car, plugged it in and it was ready to start recording. I spent a bit of time hiding the wire in the trim (approx. 4m long) and then took it for a spin. I literally did nothing further to sticking it on my windscreen, so I expected it to perhaps be out of focus or for something to not be right, but when I got home I was incredibly impressed with the results. I have uploaded a short video of the first run. It is only short because of Amazon's restrictions and because I uploaded in 720p, although it does record in 1080p, which is crystal clear when played back on my iPad (via the iOS app, which is also very good!) and computer. I chose to upload this segment of the film mainly because of how impressed I was with the sensor's adaptability when going from low-light conditions in a tunnel to the bright outdoors which ensures that no detail is left out.

Since this video was recorded I have driven in clear skies facing the sun and it again shows a fantastic adaptive capability. The camera is also amazing at night on lit roads and also on country lanes with full-beam lights. I think the best description of this camera is that it records exactly what you can see; in my car it records pillar to pillar.

Overall, this camera is excellent. It looks neat and tidy in the car, it is small, easy to use and it is top-quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good camera, 2 Oct 2014
S. Capes - See all my reviews
Very good quality video saved, by default, in 1 minute files. If it gets jogged, either accidentally or due to an impact, it stores the current file in a separate folder making it easy to quickly find the recording of a possible problem. Great fun to watch parts of your journey again if something interesting happens or you see something new.
The image is slightly 'fish eye' to make a good wide angle view but not enough to distort the image. You can read car number plates but only when the car is very close. If you have a zoom facility on your PC video playback you might be able to see better. I don't have that option. I have linked it to my smartphone once just to see what happens. The camera screen switches off and you can view on the phone but I'm not sure what the benefit is.
Like other people, my one quibble is that it will only hold the current date in memory for about 3 days and it takes a while to reset it when it defaults back to a date in 2013. As I don't use my car every day and my husband rarely remembers to put the camera in his, the date is lost frequently. It does get hot during operation and in both our cars, stays on even when the engine is switched off so we always pull out the cigarette plug when we stop anywhere and remove the camera if we are leaving the car for any length of time.
It comes with an adhesive mount which I installed in my car and I bought the suction version by Transcend for my husband's car. Both do the job well. He has the long cable supplied and this fits neatly around the windscreen trim with the excess coiled inside the glove box. I bought a separate USB cable to use with a cigarette lighter USB adapter but couldn't get the length so I have a cable dangling down the middle of my windscreen. It doesn't bother me though and doesn't obstruct the view in any way.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job but could be better, 17 Nov 2014
I bought the 100 instead of the 200 because the 100 has a larger aperture and I didn't want the wifi facility (and the 100 is the later model) - and I rather like the lense at the top as opposed to in the middle as I need to mount mine at the bottom of the windscreen instead of the expected top.
The camera comes with an adhesive windscreen mount (whoops - I missed that in the description) and I immediately came back to Amazon and ordered the suction mount (that fits both the 200 and the 100) so I can remove it and reposition it easily. (Other retailers are selling this with the suction mount for about the same money).

The camera comes with a mini memory card and has a built-in battery (so the problems of the 200 losing it's date and time don't feature on the 100), so it is ready to go, and the menu is really easy to follow.
I like that one of the 4 front buttons controls the audio - so I can turn it on and off easily.
One annoying feature is that, unlike two other and much cheaper dashcams I bought, it doesn't detect a reduction in power when I turn the ignition off - so I have to constantly plug/unplug. The technology does exist to auto-off when the ignition is turned off and power remains to the power socket - so I would expect it on this more expensive camera.
The video quality is OK - but there is no white balance facility so all the playbacks are rather blue and I can't change that.
The case is quality and robust and overall it is smaller than I expected.

But incredibly it doesn't come with a USB cable! Just how much would that cost to include? All (cheaper) previous cameras do.
Thankfully I have plenty so it wasn't a problem connecting to the PC.

So it's an OK camera - it does the job, but it could be so much better with a few minor changes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Transcend drive pro 200 dash cam., 28 Feb 2014
This was my first dash cam. I looked at many, and was unsure which one to go for.
I decided to buy this dash cam after reading a review done by auto express.
They gave it a good write up, and recommended a buy.
It does everything that I require, and is very easy to set up and install.
The day light images are of excellent quality, clear and sharp, and night time images are also good.
The wifi facility is very useful, and again very easy to use with the app that you download. You can view or download footage direct to your tablet or phone with minimum fuss. It comes ready to go with a 16gb memory card.
The screen mount is a stick on one, a shame it's not a suction type, that's my only negative point.
Also the Transcend after sales team were very helpful, and had a very quick response from them when I asked a question, so there is back up there if you should need it.

I've only had the camera for a couple of weeks, but so far have no regrets.
Overall I rate this dash cam very highly and would say that it is good value.

4.0 out of 5 stars USE WIFI TO RESET TIME/DATE, 24 Sep 2014
I have been using mine in my taxi with the supplied SD card for a few months now, no problems and the picture quality is good. I see from the reviews that people are having problems losing the time/date if not using the device for a while, this is because the device uses a capacitor and not a battery. I find the easiest way to reset time/date is to tick the appropriate box in the menu system and just wifi connect to it and the device will take the correct time date from the phone without having to go through menu systems every time. The manufacturer should have emphasised this in the instructions.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 9 Dec 2014
Design:
The DrivePro 200 Car Recorder has a very stylish and neat design, which should look great in any car. Its not the smallest car recorder I've seen, so it will stand out in your vehicle. So it may need to be unclipped from the mount every time you leave your car, as it may get stolen if you leave it attach to your vehicle. Even though its not the smallest car recorder around, its still fairly small, so it should not take up too much space or obstruct your view of the road. The DrivePro 200 does come with a permanent mount, so once you have stuck the mount to your window, it is designed to stay there. However you can purchase the ‘Transcend Suction Mount for DrivePro 200’, if you prefer a mount with a suction cup. Overall the DrivePro 200 feel very well built and strong, so it should be able to withstand a few knocks and bumps on its journeys.

Features:
The DrivePro 200 Car Recorder has a full HD 1080p resolution camera and a 160-degree viewing angle. There is also a 2.4-inch LCD screen, which shows you a live view of the road ahead. However if you do not like the screen being on whilst driving, you can turn it off. You can also use the screen (obviously when its safe) to watch previously saved videos. There is also a built in microphone, which can record sound whilst your driving. There is also a Motion G-sensor feature, which when it detects impact, it will automatically trigger the emergency recording mode. The emergency recording mode protects any recordings, including 10 seconds before the accident took place and will store them in a file which will not be overwritten. There is also a free app for Apple and Android devices, which allows you to watch live footage, adjust the settings, and download videos (without removing the memory card) on your smartphone or tablet. Also included with this device is a 2 years warranty. However to get the 2 year warranty, you must go onto the Transcend Website and register this device.

Performance:
The DrivePro 200 Car Video Recorder is very easy to set up and use. All you have to do is mount it to your window, connect it to your cars lighter port for power, turn your engine on, and it will automatically come on by itself and prompt you to input the time and date. Then it will start to record every time you turn your car's ignition on. You also can choose whether to record video clips 1, 3 or 5 minutes long. I personally recommend the 1 minute video clips, as they are a little bit easier to manage. Recording works absolutely brilliantly, and there should be no gaps in-between your video files. The Wi-Fi feature is also brilliant, especially for changing the cameras settings or update the devices firmware. And if you like, you can view your video footage on your phone or tablet or watch live footage. However there is a slight delay in the live video footage. Also if you want to transfer a file to your phone or tablet, it can transfer very slowly, as some of the files can be very large. Plugging the included 16GB memory card into your computer would be the easiest option to get your files saved onto your devices. The picture quality is incredible in both the daytime and night, as you can clearly read the persons number plate in front of you in the video footage. However the sound quality was a let down, as everything seems very quiet, even when you turn the volume levels up. When the memory card is full, it starts to overwrite the older files (not any protected files). And a 16Gb memory card should give you just over 2 hours and 20 minutes of recording time in 1080p. Unfortunately, the G-Sensor can be quite sensitive, however I can imagine G-Sensors on other cameras having similar problems. For example, if you drive over a speed bump or hit a pothole, it can trigger the emergency recording. So you will probably see lots of random videos stored in your protected file, if you leave the G-Sensor on. If you prefer the G-Sensor off, you can turn this off in the settings. And just use the emergency button instead. Also I must mention, this camera forgets the time and date if you do not use this camera for over 4 days. So after 4 days of no use, please remember to input the time and date again and you do not want to have an accident and the recording shows the wrong date.

Overall the DrivePro is an excellent video car recorder, very impressed with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Car Camera, 10 Sep 2014
Very good camera giving good picture. There are so many different cameras with different options and vastly differing prices. I concluded for me the extra facilities were interesting but that afterplaying with them I probably would not use or need them. This camera had a good wide angle lense, worked in low light, and gave a good quality picture. Connecting wirelessly to view picture is a useful facility and at the end of the day the picture is the main thing. Pleased I purchased this one.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good but dont leave in car for long periods in damp weather., 17 Oct 2014
I have had this product for 7 weeks. Ok initially although it comes up with set date month year screen on each start up. Bad weather just started this week and if damp or wet weather the lens is condensed / misted up for first 10 to 15 mins of each journey to work and home in the evening. Don't leave in the care for long periods in damp weather! Camera now out of Amazon return warranty :( The picture recorded is very good (when lens not misted up). Simple to use. Very light weight. The windscreen mounts (comes with two) are very small and sturdy so didn't need to buy extra sucker mount. Although once applied the supplied mounts cannot be removed and reused.