1,077 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the money
I've been looking at the various types of these cameras for quite a while, trying to decide on the best buy. The general consensus is the quality of the display on a lot of the makes is not very good and if they are not, then there is not much point in having one if you are trying to prove you are the innocent party in a Road Traffic Accident.

However the...
Published 7 months ago by Michael

3.0 out of 5 stars A very good product
Published 12 months ago by MiikeS

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the money, 27 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Transcend 16GB DrivePro 200 Car Video Recorder with Built-In Wi-Fi (Electronics)

However the quality of the display on the DrivePro 200 is very good indeed. Played back on a 27" HD television the picture quality is incredible.

The only feature I didn't like about it was the supplied stick-on bracket for mounting the camera on the windscreen. I therefore purchased their suction mount for an extra £6.99, which works perfectly. I've mounted the whole assembly behind the Rear View Mirror. This position has two advantages, it's not obvious to the opportunist thief and it does not obstruct my view out of the windscreen.

Since I installed it, I realise that I am consciously driving more carefully as it's recording just how well (or badly) I'm driving. The camera also records sound so you can hear in the recording when you signal your intentions.

If you are involved in an accident the very best feature is the previous 10 seconds and the next 50 seconds are stored in a separate protected folder on the card, so you don't have to hunt though 140 or so files to find the evidence you want. These emergency recordings are started either by the internal G-sensor detecting an impact or if you see an accident ahead, by pressing the red emergency button on the side.

Taking it out of the box and plugging it in to the car was all the set-up that was necessary. However there are a number of settings you can alter if you want, but it works perfectly well with its default settings.

The file length can be 1, 3 or 5 minutes. The default setting is set at one minute and that seems fine. Once the disk is full it starts overwriting the oldest files, and with a 16Gb card that's about 2hrs 20minutes recording time in HD.

Once you have downloaded the app, it can be WiFi connected to a tablet to download the camera files. This is convenient but slow. One point here to watch is, if you are using an iPad you must allow the app access to the camera roll otherwise the download does not work.(see the edit dated 11th February 2015 at the end of the review). You can of course just take out the micro sd card and plug it into a computer or even just plug the camera into the computer.

In a nutshell this is a device that can be installed in your car and forgotten about. It turns itself on when the car is started and off when the ignition is turned off. But if you are involved in an incident all the evidence you need is there in exceptional quality and it's easy to find and give to the police and insurance company. I don't like spending money, but this was a very worthwhile investment.

Edited 16th January 2015

Well I have to say I've been rather flattered by the number of comments to this review So to help, these are the settings I use and have done since I first set it up. Very occasionally I will push the button to get an emergency recording; download it to the iPad and play it back and it always is a clear smooth picture.

I hope it helps

Format Card - Obvious!
Upgrade Firmware - Done once
App Version - 1.9

Edited 11th February 1015

If you are downloading files to an iPad and it appears to virtually complete the process but then you get a message that says 'unable to complete', this is what you do.

On the iPad, tap the Settings App, then Privacy, then Photos (on the right).
Now look down the list and you will see DrivePro.
You will see that the slider on the extreme right hand side is off (not green).
Slide it to the right turn it on and all should be well as DrivePro can now access your photos, and the process can complete

Edited 11th May 2015

The camera is working just as well as ever, but here is something to think about. I installed the camera last November and have never moved it since. A couple of days ago for the very first time the suction clamp fell off the window. Not a problem of course, just startled me. But it made me realise that it's worthwhile just unlocking the mount occasionally to keep the suction

5.0 out of 5 stars ESSENTIAL INFORMATION - May not work with Windows Media Player..., 24 Feb. 2015
When I took delivery, I plugged it in and went through the settings to amend as I saw fit. One of the changes I made was to set the video length from 1 minute to 3 minutes. This means that the camera will record separate videos in 3 minute lengths. (I thought 1 minute length may be a bit short.)
I installed the camera in my van which was easy - not sure why the installed mount gets bad reviews, it was fine for me. After a day's use I removed the memory card to check the footage. Each and every video has a problem at around 1 min 40 secs. It starts to stutter and then freezes. It stays frozen until the end of the 3 minute video, until it starts another video/clip, and then it's fine for another 1 min 40 secs. I contacted Amazon who quickly sent me another camera. Unfortunately this one has the same problem. I've tried reformatting the memory card, resetting the camera and updating the firmware but the issue is still there. What I've decided to do is set the video length back to 1 minute and it works fine. To be fair, 1 minute video lengths are fine. Just be aware that yours may also have the same issue if you set it to 3 minutes. (I note another reviewer had the same issue and gave it 2 stars.)

UPDATE: Following advice from other Amazon customers, using an alternative media player (VLC Player) to view the files works perfectly. Clearly windows doesn't have the right codec to play these files. If you are having problems with Windows Media Player playing 3 or 5 minute clips, try an alternative player.
Review amended to 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars First dash cam, can't fault it!, 23 April 2014
Length:: 1:01 Mins

I'm not a person who normally leaves reviews, but this camera definitely warrants praise.

- - - -

Background: I'm a first time driver, I want a camera to use as evidence in a non-fault incident should one ever arise; I felt a camera would provide security in a 'his word against my word' scenario.

- - - -

I knew I didn't want to spend a lot of money, no more than £100, but I didn't want to go for a cheap £40 option. I did a bit of research on Google and read reviews on an array of different options on Amazon. I ended up opting for this camera and I'm glad I did!

I had my reservations, but when I received it the other day I set it up in my car, plugged it in and it was ready to start recording. I spent a bit of time hiding the wire in the trim (approx. 4m long) and then took it for a spin. I literally did nothing further to sticking it on my windscreen, so I expected it to perhaps be out of focus or for something to not be right, but when I got home I was incredibly impressed with the results. I have uploaded a short video of the first run. It is only short because of Amazon's restrictions and because I uploaded in 720p, although it does record in 1080p, which is crystal clear when played back on my iPad (via the iOS app, which is also very good!) and computer. I chose to upload this segment of the film mainly because of how impressed I was with the sensor's adaptability when going from low-light conditions in a tunnel to the bright outdoors which ensures that no detail is left out.

Since this video was recorded I have driven in clear skies facing the sun and it again shows a fantastic adaptive capability. The camera is also amazing at night on lit roads and also on country lanes with full-beam lights. I think the best description of this camera is that it records exactly what you can see; in my car it records pillar to pillar.

Overall, this camera is excellent. It looks neat and tidy in the car, it is small, easy to use and it is top-quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved my behind!, 24 May 2014
Ric Brook "rbrooky" - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Was involved in an accident which without the evidence this camera produced I would have been viewed as at fault. Sure enough the 3rd party not knowing I had recorded the incident tried to claim for whiplash and an investigator was sent out to meet me. Unfortunately for the 3rd party the HD video from the DrivePro clearly showed the guy turning his wheel towards me and hitting my car not the other way round.

Without this I'd have lost 6 years NCB and had to pay £500 excess so the camera has more than paid for itself.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 9 Dec. 2014
Samantha (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
Design:
The DrivePro 200 Car Recorder has a very stylish and neat design, which should look great in any car. Its not the smallest car recorder I've seen, so it will stand out in your vehicle. So it may need to be unclipped from the mount every time you leave your car, as it may get stolen if you leave it attach to your vehicle. Even though its not the smallest car recorder around, its still fairly small, so it should not take up too much space or obstruct your view of the road. The DrivePro 200 does come with a permanent mount, so once you have stuck the mount to your window, it is designed to stay there. However you can purchase the ‘Transcend Suction Mount for DrivePro 200’, if you prefer a mount with a suction cup. Overall the DrivePro 200 feel very well built and strong, so it should be able to withstand a few knocks and bumps on its journeys.

Features:
The DrivePro 200 Car Recorder has a full HD 1080p resolution camera and a 160-degree viewing angle. There is also a 2.4-inch LCD screen, which shows you a live view of the road ahead. However if you do not like the screen being on whilst driving, you can turn it off. You can also use the screen (obviously when its safe) to watch previously saved videos. There is also a built in microphone, which can record sound whilst your driving. There is also a Motion G-sensor feature, which when it detects impact, it will automatically trigger the emergency recording mode. The emergency recording mode protects any recordings, including 10 seconds before the accident took place and will store them in a file which will not be overwritten. There is also a free app for Apple and Android devices, which allows you to watch live footage, adjust the settings, and download videos (without removing the memory card) on your smartphone or tablet. Also included with this device is a 2 years warranty. However to get the 2 year warranty, you must go onto the Transcend Website and register this device.

Performance:
The DrivePro 200 Car Video Recorder is very easy to set up and use. All you have to do is mount it to your window, connect it to your cars lighter port for power, turn your engine on, and it will automatically come on by itself and prompt you to input the time and date. Then it will start to record every time you turn your car's ignition on. You also can choose whether to record video clips 1, 3 or 5 minutes long. I personally recommend the 1 minute video clips, as they are a little bit easier to manage. Recording works absolutely brilliantly, and there should be no gaps in-between your video files. The Wi-Fi feature is also brilliant, especially for changing the cameras settings or update the devices firmware. And if you like, you can view your video footage on your phone or tablet or watch live footage. However there is a slight delay in the live video footage. Also if you want to transfer a file to your phone or tablet, it can transfer very slowly, as some of the files can be very large. Plugging the included 16GB memory card into your computer would be the easiest option to get your files saved onto your devices. The picture quality is incredible in both the daytime and night, as you can clearly read the persons number plate in front of you in the video footage. However the sound quality was a let down, as everything seems very quiet, even when you turn the volume levels up. When the memory card is full, it starts to overwrite the older files (not any protected files). And a 16Gb memory card should give you just over 2 hours and 20 minutes of recording time in 1080p. Unfortunately, the G-Sensor can be quite sensitive, however I can imagine G-Sensors on other cameras having similar problems. For example, if you drive over a speed bump or hit a pothole, it can trigger the emergency recording. So you will probably see lots of random videos stored in your protected file, if you leave the G-Sensor on. If you prefer the G-Sensor off, you can turn this off in the settings. And just use the emergency button instead. Also I must mention, this camera forgets the time and date if you do not use this camera for over 4 days. So after 4 days of no use, please remember to input the time and date again and you do not want to have an accident and the recording shows the wrong date.

Overall the DrivePro is an excellent video car recorder, very impressed with it.

3.0 out of 5 stars A very good product, 2 Jun. 2014
Very happy with this purchase. Found the camera to be extremely easy to install and there was adequate power cable to fit it in my BMW X1. Set up and use is very simple and in fact you hardly need to read the manual to get it working. Linked fine with my iPhone and the camera continues to work correctly when the BMW stop/start is used. Only small criticism is that it seems to `lose' the date occasionally. Now know why the date keeps resetting. Its seems to be because the internal battery is totally inadequate so if you don't use the car for a while, and hence the camera is not powered up, then the internal battery discharges and the data is lost! This is a nuisance that could be easily rectified by the manufacturer.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lorry driver, 2 Mar. 2015
As I am a lorry driver I use dashboard cameras daily, and in past have had 3 different cameras.

I was doing some research before buying this camera and found out that this camera should mach my expectations for current price.

As I received it, streight away there was a problem with it. The mounting on this particular camera, has been designed with a sticky tape. So it means you can stick it only once. If you are lucky maybe twice. For me it was not good, as I am changing lorries daily I need to take it off and on everyday. So I spend extra 10 pounds on a holder.

Second thing I did not like about this camera, is that there is no battery. So it means, if your vehicle is stationary and is not charging it, or let's say after a crash you will loose connection or power supply to camera, it will not record. So no point to leave camera in your vehicle as it will not record if somebody will hit you and decide to run away.

Third thing - saving some videos... Well, if you can predict what will happen in next 5 min then you can use this feature, otherwise it is pointless, as when you pross red button to save video it will save the next part not the one which just was recorded.

Forth and the last thing, there is no cover for display. It will flash in your eyes when you drive at night time, so I used duck tape to cover it. And the worst is that when you take your camera off and put it in your bag, the display is not protected. The glass can be smashed with a single knock, what happened in my case.

But there are some good things. This camera has a really wide angle of capturing picture. You can easily adjust it to capture all 3 lanes on motorways and still see signs on the side of the road. Even from lorry windscreen camera will capture bottom corners with lane lines and in the same time you can see traffic lights on top. And the quallity of recording is really good.

Summary:
You can buy this camera if you want to use it only in one vehicle and only when you driving. Othervise, I would advice to check something else in the same price area.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little HD dashcam. My first venture into using one of these and I am impressed, 31 Dec. 2014
R. Charlton (UK) - See all my reviews
Good value at under £55 on a lightening deal from Amazon. Arrived within 24 hrs and very easy to set up and scroll through setup options on device.

Followed advice in other feedback and ordered the suction cup holder alongside it for about 6 quid. They came in an Amazon outer box together. Glad I did, as initially tried to position it behind rear view mirror, but was too tight a squeeze due to my car type. The suction mount let me move it to where my tax disc used to be... at bottom left of windscreen, and it doesn't interfere with my view of the road etc. This also meant a three metre USB cable I have was long enough.

Impressed with images and hassle-free use. Gets a bit of glare from street lights at night, but okay. Great in daytime. The wide angled lens also means it works well despite me not locating it in the middle of screen (behind the rearview mirror).

I bought a separate 3m mini to std USB lead so I could charge via a two-port USB adapter in my lighter socket, rather than the cable provided means I can charge my phone at the same time. One thing to watch out for is that if you buy / use some dual Use charger adapters, in some cases one socket has a lower power output and if a low power socket is invertently used for the camera you might find it keep resorting to emergency recording mode as it repeatedly relies on the internal capacitor or battery within the camera to keep the footage going.

Screen on camera is decent and easy to view.

Finally I have bought a 32gb fast microSD card for about a tenner to use with the camera instead of the supplied 16gb card, though this is by no means essential.

I have also used black electricity insulation tape to help fix the use charging cable discretely out of the way, around edges of trim etc. Means the wire isn't unsightly and won't keep getting caught by passengers.

I am pleased I bought this camera and was reassured by buying a known and trusted brand, as I appreciate there are a lot of similarly priced (and often cheaper) dashcams out there, and didn't really know which to go for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good camera, 2 Oct. 2014
S. Capes - See all my reviews
Very good quality video saved, by default, in 1 minute files. If it gets jogged, either accidentally or due to an impact, it stores the current file in a separate folder making it easy to quickly find the recording of a possible problem. Great fun to watch parts of your journey again if something interesting happens or you see something new.
The image is slightly 'fish eye' to make a good wide angle view but not enough to distort the image. You can read car number plates but only when the car is very close. If you have a zoom facility on your PC video playback you might be able to see better. I don't have that option. I have linked it to my smartphone once just to see what happens. The camera screen switches off and you can view on the phone but I'm not sure what the benefit is.
Like other people, my one quibble is that it will only hold the current date in memory for about 3 days and it takes a while to reset it when it defaults back to a date in 2013. As I don't use my car every day and my husband rarely remembers to put the camera in his, the date is lost frequently. It does get hot during operation and in both our cars, stays on even when the engine is switched off so we always pull out the cigarette plug when we stop anywhere and remove the camera if we are leaving the car for any length of time.
It comes with an adhesive mount which I installed in my car and I bought the suction version by Transcend for my husband's car. Both do the job well. He has the long cable supplied and this fits neatly around the windscreen trim with the excess coiled inside the glove box. I bought a separate USB cable to use with a cigarette lighter USB adapter but couldn't get the length so I have a cable dangling down the middle of my windscreen. It doesn't bother me though and doesn't obstruct the view in any way.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easily worth the money for peace of mind alone! 1 accident and you've saved the costs already., 30 Dec. 2014
The cable for this camera is really nice and long at around 3m it will go all the way from the top of your windscreen, around the trim, past the glove-box and still have spare to the 12v socket. The stick on bracket supplied is more than adequate if you ask me; I've not felt that a suction cup is needed at all.

I turned the g-shock feature off as on our roads I don't think it's a good option; the amount of holes and bumps mean it just goes off all the time thus clogging the memory card up. If you see an incident or are involved in one then the chances of you being able to remember when the video was and copy/paste it later are very high. The only way this wouldn't be the case is if you were travelling a very long way and might record over the clip and couldn't get it off in the mean time.

Picture quality is amazing even in low light. Genuine HD and you should have no problem at all picking detail out at a later date. Viewing my nighttime journeys back shows everything that you would expect to see in person from in the car.

I do wish the camera trim was changeable as the silver bezel is very noticeable from outside the car even when tucked up against the rear-view mirror. I want this to remain hidden if possible to deter thieves and this is something I have to down-grade the camera for. For me personally this is a big issue as I leave it mounted 24/7. I could paint over it or get a permanent marker out I guess but don't really want to damage the camera in case it has to go back. Given the fairly obvious desire people would have in making these cameras near invisible I have to wonder why they didn't think of this and provide a spare in black.

It's very easy to get clips from the memory card by taking it out and viewing in a laptop. The supplied 16GB is plenty.

For those that are wanting to fit this permanently then you have some work to do. Unfortunately for me my Ford Focus has a permanently on 12V socket which means I cannot utilise it for this camera due to fear of running the battery dead. I did leave it for 8 hours at work once and the car started fine but would not want to risk this every day. What you might want to look out for is a piggy back fuse and wire a 12 socket adapter to an ignition feed from the fusebox. I.e. wire something in that the 12 to 5V adapter supplied can plug into.

Finally, I have to say that it's very comforting to drive around knowing that every move is recorded and it's given me real peace of mind. Tucked behind the rear-view mirror and with the screen turning off after 1 minute I have already forgotten the camera is there except for when the red LED catches my eye. On this note, double edged sword here. As above I would ideally like this to be concealed and so was going to cover it up but I have to say I've physically noticed drivers drop back behind me when they see the flashing red LED of a camera recording. They seem to know that it's best, just in case! An unexpected and welcome positive!

4/5 as I can't fault the product itself in terms of quality but I just wish they had a replaceable bezel for that silver one on the front giving a big signal to thieves that I have an expensive camera worth stealing in the car :(