Boiler Room follows in the tradition of Wall Street and Glengarry Glenross (both mentioned in the film). It tells of the pitfalls and perils of the cruel, cold world of hard sales. Having worked in that industry, I can relate to so much of it.

Published on 2 Oct. 2006 by Mr. A. E. Hall

3.0 out of 5 stars tasty enough
Published 4 months ago by sean paul mccann

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Now, I don't even look at my customers, and I pushed them something they never even asked for'., 2 Oct. 2006
Mr. A. E. Hall "brother_of_sadako" (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Boiler Room [DVD] [2000] (DVD)

I first watched it while working in one of those sales jobs with my work mates and we laughed at the similiarities between J.T. Marlin and our own company (NOT the illegal parts). The self-centred, unbearably conceited sales reps and the testosterone charged relationships between them were all too familiar.

The film tells the story of Seth (Ribisi), a young, college dropout who runs a small casino in his living room. Desperate to win the respect of his father and believing that 'honour's in the dollar' he takes a job at a stock broking firm - J.T. Marlin. Working his way up the ranks he learns the art of the hard sell but soon begins to see that everything is not as clean and legal as it first seemed. Before he knows it, he is sucked into a world he hates and he is ruining lives.

The acting is first class. Giovanni Ribisi is easy to sympathise with and Ben Affleck gives the best performance of his career and in general, the rest of the cast are excellent. The script and story are very engrossing and make an excellent film for all.

The DVD is also very good. Although the commentary is AWFUL and best avoided, it does include the trailer and four deleted scenes, two of which were clearly cut for a reason and the other two are great, especially the alternate ending, which I feel works better than the one in the film - much darker.

For me, having worked (past tense, thank God!) in hard sales, I love the film on a personal level. Many phrases like 'ABC' and 'act is if' were my mantras for too long and the work all hours, your-job-is-your-life, think your better than everyone else in the whole world is disturbing to watch now. It is a strong enough film for any movie-lover, but if you love it for the same reasons as me then Juice!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyable movie, 4 May 2013
Bacchus (Greater London - Surrey) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Boiler Room [DVD] [2000] (DVD)
Some movies can present really useful training material. As someone who has been of the receiving end of callers from boiler rooms,I found that watching this film gave me some insight into the mentality and behaviour of the kinds of people who work in them. Since watching this movie, I have learned that it is a favourite film for the kind of people portrayed in it. If you ever receive a cold call offering you a once in a lifetime investment that will earn you a lot of money, it is likely that the caller would have watched this movie and learned some tricks from it.

The boiler room in this movie is a firm based in an out-of-town office building an hour's drive outside New York. Despite this, all the employees dress and speak as if they are Wall Street brokers. In this movie, the firm is called J.T. Marlin, which sounds a bit like J.P. Morgan, the massive US investment bank. The similarity of names is deliberate. The employees then cold call potential customers and reel them in to buying speculative investments, which in this movie turn out to be worthless.

The key behaviours of brokers in these boiler rooms are: a hunger for money, a complete lack of any scruples, aggression (often enhanced through drug taking) and a readiness to use any number of rebuttals to make a sale. The firm in this movie specialises in corporate stock but nowadays, boiler rooms are just as likely to sell development land, carbon credits, vintage wine and coloured diamonds etc, which turn out to have far less an investment potential than the 'brokers' claim.

Although I have experience of boiler rooms in Britain and Europe, I could see so many parallels with the US firm in this movie. It is very well acted movie with superb sense of pace and atmosphere, which helped show the viewers the human price exacted by such scam artists.

4.0 out of 5 stars A film about men wanting to make loads and loads of money, 27 Mar. 2015
Alan Jones (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Boiler Room [DVD] [2000] (DVD)
Giovanni Ribisi's Seth Davies moves effortlessly from illegal backroom 'casino' owner to successful cold calling amoral stockbroker in this no-nonsense exploration of unregulated capitalism in the 1990s. There are many notable performances in the testosterone filled environment of J.T. Marlin, a 'chop stock' brokerage firm who makes its profit through duping its investors to purchase worthless stocks of expired or fake companies, The narrative is brisk with a pulsating hip-hop soundtrack and the dialogue suitably scabrous and scathing. Although it doesn't quite reach the heights of Glengarry Glen Ross or Wall Street, it nevertheless is a valuable addition to the genre and brazenly pays homage to both films directly. Ben Affleck successfully mirrors Alec Baldwin when he gives a couple of belting inspirational speeches to his greedy acolytes while Gordon Gekko is mentioned on more than one occasion. I found this film through Amazon reviews and unhesitantly recommend it for at least one viewing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Suprisingly, a 'chick' who liked this flick, 12 Feb. 2001
By A Customer
A film with some fantastic acting and passionate performances from some of last years most promising new stars, especially Giovanni Ribisi and Vin Diesel. Ben Affleck provides a charismatic performance and has an amazing screen presence (despite the fact that his total screen time can't be more than 10 minutes), a fast, clever and convincing script, (with a brand of humour its best not to take too seriously) and perfect sound track, all come together to create the testosterone packed world of the J T Marlin Stock Broker's. This film, however, often moves too quickly over important plot points and spends too long on relationships that go no where. And (with out giving anything away) I found the end a let down after the promising build up. This is however a fast moving film, with immense attitude, that might just convince you to hang up on the slick, phone salesmen...if you're lucky...or female.

5.0 out of 5 stars easy come and easier go, 2 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Boiler Room [DVD] [2000] (DVD)
I wanted to see this movie way back when, at a time we were much involved in the market. While never involved with this sort of thing, it was very interesting to watch this. I suppose there were such things just like it or else there would not be a movie on the subject. I found it gripping and have saved it rather than donate as we normally do with DVDs. Plan on watching it one more time. We used to play the tech stocks almost exclusively and the excitement was something I haven't the vocabulary to describe. Our moto tho was, All Tech All The Time. Maybe not original (?) almost nothing beats watching a volatile stock on NASDAQ back in the day, move like a roller coaster and when you're watching three or four at the same time and playing with your own money, well. Quite a high. I could relate a bit with this in the go-go quick-quick environment. And our love of Amazon (AMZN) dates from the beginning when the "experts" said Amazon would never make it and started referring to it as, Amazon dot bomb. HA! Some bomb huh Mr. Bezos. We loved seeing it hit something like $400 a share for a brief time too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded even my best expectations, 26 Dec. 2007
Mr. T. Jaconelli "jaco223" (Bangladesh) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Boiler Room [DVD] [2000] (DVD)
I'd heard a fair bit about this film since it came out quite a few years ago, and finally I got my hands on a copy of it and this didn't disappoint. With great performances from Giovanni Ribisi, Ben Affleck and Vin Diesel, a great story, a really good old school hip hop soundtrack and very well filmed this has to be seen as a modern classic. Based around the illegal stockbroking business this film plays out like a gangster movie without actually being a gangster movie. By this I mean it is similar in the way it is about organised crime and we follow the rise of the central character(Ribisi) from a nobody who makes a bit of cash setting up illegal poker games to becoming the pinnacle of the illegal stockbroking business. Though having resemblences with gangster movies it leaves out the unnecessary shootings and violence and replaces it with a well-thought and effective piece about the ins and outs of city and business life and the fraud and other illegal activities within it. It prevails in being a cool, stylish movie featuring some well-known actors who are all on top of their game. This is a must-see movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the favourite films., 11 April 2014
Paul G "Paul" (Liverpool, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Boiler Room [DVD] [2000] (DVD)
Love Giovanni Ribisi, think he is really understated.

And don't let Vin Diesel put you off, he doesn't just punch people all the way through it, probably his best acted film.

It is an old one now, but still a great story, and very true to life, this stuff was always happening.

Almost like the Wolf of Wall Street of the late 90's.

4.0 out of 5 stars J.T. Marlin., 24 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Boiler Room [DVD] [2000] (DVD)
Its quite amusing. - You can tell the film is from the early 2000s by some of the rap music that is played throughout!
In a lot of ways this film seems dated because it came out at time when the finance industry was flying high, (and the general public had no beef with it!)
Affleck's speeches to the new rookies are good and Vin Diesel is great in his role as a senior broker. The protagonist Ribisi is initially running a back street illegal Casino where he makes a good living and its only by chance that he gets into the broking game.
The thing is J.T. Malin sell stocks in companies that don't exist, (they're a Boiler Room), and do a, "Pump And Dump."
Interestingly Ribisi says that he used to sell to people in the flesh what they wanted, but now he doesn't even see who he sells to and sells them stuff they don't want.
A dated film, but still enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Underrated Movie, 14 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Boiler Room [DVD] [2000] (DVD)
The movie 'Boiler Room' is one of the underrated movies. What I love most about it is the enthusiasm of the young cast. In particular, Giovanni Ribisi is at his very best; his narration carries through the whole movie and he is a very believable stockbroker-to-be. I'm yet to see a movie where Ribisi manages to do a better job. He is a great actor.

I have no clue why this movie never made it big. If you can look past the constant cursing, 'Boiler Room' draws a picture of a boy-father relationship that many young men can identify with. For some reason I can see myself in 'Seth'. Maybe that's why this flick remains one of my favourites. However, this is definately a guy movie. I bet not many women will enjoy watching this one.

3.0 out of 5 stars tasty enough, 9 Dec. 2014
sean paul mccann "mccanns23" (ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Boiler Room [DVD] [2000] (DVD)
Although the film mentions both wall street and glengarry glen ross it isnt as good as either of them but is still great. Many moons ago when i lived in england i worked in a cold calling place that reminded me of this. We were selling stuff that wasnt real. i was awful at it and got turfed after 4 weeks, it was certainly seedy and i knew i wasnt good enough because i wasnt a bastard, i wasnt ruthless, i wouldnt have sold my granny but the guys i worked with who were good at it would have , thats the difference. This film has good depth to it, good cast and decent acting and yes affleck is mustard in a role similar to that of alec baldwins in glengarry but not as slick to be fair. I liked this and i would recommend it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Boiler Room [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Boiler Room [Blu-ray] [Region Free] by Ben Younger (Blu-ray - 2014)