on 5 February 2014
This is the first of, presumably, a series of recordings by the RAF Central Band, which plays superbly well. The repertoire is interesting, but by the time you have listened to volumes 1-12, you will know what to expect! It is clear from this series of recordings, that Sousa never developed as a composer: his late music could have been written 40 years earlier!
The recording itself is this issue's big drawback, sounding constricted and not allowing the music or band sound to expand/breathe. It is bass heavy, and lacking in ambience, presumably owing to the recording venue?
on 7 February 2014
My favourite military band is involved but trying to be impartial - this is an excellent CD of Sousa music of which this CD is thirteen in the series of expected twenty-five. It augurs well for the remainder.
BUT - I preordered this CD at about the same time as my friend in Lancashire, the web page showing release date of 3rd February. I was later advised of expected delivery date to me of 7th Feb. I received the CD on the 6th. Imagine my surprise and a little annoyance when speaking to my friend to learn he had delivery of the CD on Sunday, 2nd February, one day before the release date. So my friends at Amazon please accept a slap on the wrist, a blip no doubt having experienced excellent service from you in the past.