on 10 January 2014
I already have an official Apple Ipad air case (with back and front) but I was already thinking of selling the Apple one on ebay and finding an alternative. The reason is that the official Apple case is a high quality finish, but quite poor as an Ipad stand.

I have bought several Anker products before. What I really like about them is that they give an awful lot of thought to design and I think they must actually listen to customer feedback.

So - the Anker cover came boxed in their usual plain but practical recycleable cardboard box. There was no instruction booklet but really none needed.

The Ipad cover is a fairly bright orange and "leather look" rather than actual leather. The case was very easy to install. I always push in the side with the volume buttoms first, then push gently down on the opposite side.

The case has all the needed holes for camera lens, earphones etc and is a snug fit. Importantly then for me, there are two slight ridges on the inside of the lid. This allows me to use the case very nicely as a stand, with a choice of two screen angles.

Anker have also included the magnetic "sleep/wake" magnet to control the Ipad air. They also have been very clever with the closing magnetic clasp. It acts as a clasp to keep the lid closed when not in use, but when not in use, it folds back on itself and the magnet keeps it tucked away.

At the moment Amazon are selling this in the UK for £9.99 which is about one sixth of the price of the Apple case. I think this is remarkable value for money. Based on a combination of value for money and features, I definitely would regard this a 5 star product.
on 1 January 2014
After buying other Anker products and finding them fantastic value for money for the job, I decided to buy the Ultra slim ipad air case.

Looking around at various cases that varied in price from around £5 upto £60/£70 I just wanted something that gave some protection to my ipad while I was out and about and was not too bulky.

The case itself is fit for purpose, has a nice plastic backing plate fitted to the case to clip your ipad into and has all the cut outs for the charger, volume, on/off button and speakers, the ipad fits snugly without moving around.

The outer case I was slightly disappointed with, I was expecting slightly better from Anker, the outside of the case is made from a gloss synthetic covering, in my opinion looks slightly cheap, compare this to the Samsung Tab 3 7" case I have brought from Anker which has a nice textured finish, this case does not have the same quality finish.

The inside of the case has a good soft slightly velvety finish to protect your screen and face of the ipad and has two slightly raised what I would call bumps to stop the ipad from slipping while the case is folded back, allowing you to stand the ipad up for various viewing positions.

The back has the same gloss finish as the front with two cut outs for the camera and mic and has a magnetic fold over tab that secures to the front when closed, this also folds back when the case is open.

For the money this case is fine, it is slim so doesn't add bulk to the slim ipad and also gives a nice deal of protection.

To be honest, I would liked to have seen a better finish to the outer case and a hand strap to make holding the ipad safer, but for a tenner it is worth the money to protect the casing and screen of your expensive ipad.

Update: since leaving my review I have been contacted by Anker who according to the email said they were 'sorry' that I was not completely satisfied with their product and have given me a full refund for the item, so thank you Anker for your great customer service and caring what your customers think.

For the excellent customer service I have added you another star.
on 16 January 2014
Having received this case I am pleased to say that it is up to the usual Anker standard of high quality at a good price.

The packaging is minimal, made of brown cardboard with the case coming in a nice neat tray. The material of the outside of the cover has a nice smooth feel with a soft feel plastic holder that clips around the iPad on the inside.

This case has the simple half fold on the back so that the iPad can be adjusted to different angles on the inside of the front cover. Anker have put two ridges on the inside so there are really only these two positions that it can be put at. I feel that the ridges could protrude further up from the case as occasionally when in the lower of the two positions the iPad falls flat after a couple of light screen taps. Nothing major but can be annoying.

Everything fits nicely around the iPad and it does protect the iPad very well but I do dislike that the magnet on the front cannot be adjusted to close the case more snuggly. I'm guessing that is is just there to simply keep the cover from opening but it does feel a little loose.

Finally the case is a little on the heavy side. It is not bulky and is nice a slim, but the plastic and materials used do seem to add quite a lot of weight when combined with the iPad.

I have for now resorted to going back to a less protective leather case that I originally bought for my iPad mainly because of the weight issue.

All in all if you are looking for a tough protective case for your iPad Air this is a great alternative to the Apple case, just be aware that the protection it offers does add to the overall weight of your tablet.
on 6 June 2014
I bought this in Jan 2014 for a great price of £9.99. I received it promptly and was initially very happy with the fit, weight, design and feel.

However at almost 6 months later I'm afraid the edges around the top cover have started to fray and come away from the insert which has made it look very shabby. The top material is also starting to come away from the clasp.

I've tried gluing it down but that didn't really work.

I use the iPad every day and carry it too and from work in a laptop bag so I can't say that it's being knocked around.

At the price I paid I am happy to get 6 months out of it but I had hoped it would last longer.

*Update - 16 June 2014*

After writing my initial review Anker contacted me within a few days to apologise for the inconvenience and to remind me that the case has a lifetime warranty (which I had forgotten).

They immediately sent me out a replacement that seems to be of a better quality finish around the edges so hopefully will last longer this time.

The jury is still out on the durability of the product but given the low price I can't complain too much and added this review just so others are more aware of what they are purchasing.

One thing that I cannot fault however is the Anker customer service and despite the issue I raised here I would have no hesitation in purchasing from them again and recommend them to others.
on 3 November 2014
Anker sent this to me for free for test and evaluation as part of their poweruser program, in exchange for a fair and honest review.

The case is supplied along with a good quality screen protector and screen wipe, which is a nice touch as they didn't have to include those. The case itself looks very smart in black synthetic leather with a subtle embossed Anker logo on the bottom corner. The iPad clicks into the case very easily and everything just works as it should; the volume buttons are accessible, there's a hole for the camera on the back just as you'd expect. I particularly like the fact that the bottom is cut out so as not to muffle the speakers, it's another nice touch.

You can stand the iPad up in two positions in landscape, the case forms a simple hinge at the back so the iPad itself is still held securely in the case.

The case comes with a lip along the landscape side so you can close it over the iPad and it won't flap open.

I can see this case being useful for all types of users, it's just a good general-use case. I really can't think of any downsides to it. I have a much more expensive case already but I'm really tempted to use this one instead, it's that good (edit: so, my baby puked all over the more expensive case so now I am using this one and I actually do prefer this one now!).

All in all I really like this case, it's not too bulky and seems well made. It seems like it should have cost more than a tenner!

After using this for a little while I'd like to add one positive and one negative point:

Firstly I forgot to mention that you can fold the case back on itself when you want to hold the ipad in your hands, which is good because I hate cases that don't easily do that.

Secondly, the only bad point I've found so far is that I wish there was a hole in the cover of the case so that when you fold it right round the back of the ipad you could still take photos. As it is you just need to open the case up a bit to take pics, which is OK but could be that touch better,

Otherwise still totally happy with it.

[Update: This is by far my favourite case. Have been using for 10 months and there are no problems at all, no wear and tear, nothing annoying. Just a good solid case. Love the fact it locks closed.[/update]
on 2 November 2014
First off I was sent this Anker product in return for my honest feedback. This is the third Anker case I have reviewed for my iPad Air having previously used the keyboard case and another slim case.
The packaging as ever is simple yet effective, included in the package is the case and a screen protector (including the very useful bubble remover) and cleaning cloth (yes all for £10).

The case itself is synthetic leather and is very light and slimline. It has a felt like inside so it will not scratch the ipad or the screen. Putting the iPad in is very simple it just clips in place held at all for corners. I was a little concerned when I first put the iPad in that it would not be held very well but doing some small tests the iPad did not feel like it would fall out.

Once the iPad is in the case it doesn't add much weight or size to the iPad and feels like it would offer protection to the screen and body if dropped. The case includes a kick stand type design so you can stand the ipad in two positions which is ideal when you are watching videos on the ipad. I have used it on my lap whilst sitting down and lying down and it feels very sturdy and does not feel like it would slip or fall down. The case will also turn the screen on or off when closed. It has a clasp to keep the case closed and does not come open when the iPad is leaning again something.

Compared to the other Anker cases I have tried and other manufacture’s cases I really like this case it has a solid build and good finish and for £10 I think it is amazing value for money even more so when you include the screen protector. Other manufactures would be charging double or triple that for a case of this quality.
on 11 January 2014
Anker was kind enough to send me their latest iPad Air case for review.

The case was very well packaged. I'm always impressed by Anker packaging. Inside the box was the case, a returns slip and a note from Anker inviting you to review their product.

The first thing I noticed about the case was how well built it is. The method it uses to hold the ipad in is one I have not seen before, and it works very well. When I clicked my iPad air in, it felt very secure. It also protects the sides of the iPad. On a previous case I used on my old iPad mini, I got a dent in the corner because the sides were exposed. On this case, only the buttons and ports are exposed, and even they are recessed for protection.

The case is very slim. It has a magnetic clasp that keeps it closed. It turns the iPad on and off like the Smart Cover sold by apple. It does add a bit of weight, perhaps a little more than I was happy with but it feels solid, protected. It also doubles up as a stand which was very stable and offered two viewing angles, both which I felt were good for watching films. The inside of the case has a lovely soft velvety feel to it. The clasp that holds the iPad is a soft to touch but rigid plastic material that does the job well.

The version I received was blue. It's covering is made from a synthetic leather that looks and feels nice. It's a little on the shiny side, but certainly doesn't look ugly!

Overall, I feel this case is great value for money. It's on sale for £9.99 and when you compare that to the smart case at £65, it's a bargain. For me, a case must be trusted to protect you iPad when the worse happens. And I think this case does that. It also looks great, and acts as a great little stand.
on 8 January 2014
The Ultra Slim Case with Multi-Angle Stand for iPad Air - Synthetic Leather Folio comes in a black semi-gloss-styled synthetic leather covering on the outside weighing in at just over 9 ounces. I like this case. A lot! The interior is made from a supple and smooth microfiber material to help protect your screen from unsightly scratches and foreign matter. The Ultra Slim Case Folio is a minimalist design while ensuring full functionality of the device it holds inside. Pre-cut holes allow for full function of your iPad Air which includes unobstructed camera viewing, microphone reception, speaker sound, headphone port, lock button and volume buttons.

When your Ultra Slim Case with Multi-Angle Stand for iPad Air - Synthetic Leather Folio arrives it's only a matter of slipping your tablet into the protective case and using it as you normally would. Operating your tablet is the same from this point forward with the only change being it's now protected by a beautiful folio. Once installed you have the benefit of not only protecting your tablet in a brilliantly-designed case, but a very modern and functional case as well. The case also acts as a stand for your tablet allowing you to view the tablet's screen in landscape mode in a hands-free setting. Simply prop it up on any stable surface to properly align the case and securely hold your device as you surf the web, view videos, or play games. A notable feature of this folio is the magnet feature of the case. When opening or closing the folio, the magnet activates/locks the screen. So when you open it your iPad wakes up, and when you close the folio your iPad is put into sleep mode. This is a brilliant feature because it saves wear and tear on your iPad's buttons.

The Ultra Slim Case with Multi-Angle Stand for iPad Air - Synthetic Leather Folio is recommended for anyone who wants to protect their investment in an economical, chic, and attractive case. Overall my impression of the Ultra Slim Case with Multi-Angle Stand for iPad Air - Synthetic Leather Folio is very favorable. I've already forsaken the other two cases I have in favour of this one because it's easy to open, has a magnet to auto sleep/wake, feels supple, soft and comfortable in my hands and there is no bulk added to the iPad. The synthetic leather holds up very well and takes all the abuse I throw at it (unintentional, of course) and gives me peace of mind knowing it's protected when I place it in my electronics bag. For the price, you can't go wrong. It's simply the best iPad Air folio I've tested under the £10 price point.

Overall impression:
1. Function: 5 stars
2. Design: 5 stars
3. Ease of Use/Installation: 5 stars
4. Durability: 5 stars
5. Price: 5 stars

The Ultra Slim Case with Multi-Angle Stand for iPad Air - Synthetic Leather Folio scores 5 out of 5 stars in my book. As always, Anker includes a card with their customer service information as well as an email address to reach them should you have any issues or concerns. One of the best in the industry who understand their customers needs!

I was provided a free sample from the folks at Anker for a fair, honest and unbiased review of their product.
on 7 January 2014
My recently purchased iPad Air (aka iPad 5) needed a home; I purchased the Apple cover and, as nice as it is, it has never been a favorite of mine. The fold-it-into-a-triangle-and-use-it-as-a-stand approach never appealed to me, especially when the slightest pressure or torque causes it to detach and dump my expensive iToy on the iFloor, which makes me very iMad!

Enter the Anker Ultra Slim Case for iPad 5. I've tried many iPad cases over the years (I've owned every iPad version and I have a case for each one) and most of them stink. I can honestly say that this is a superior product. No one wants a bulky case, and the Anker Ultra Slim case earns its name. This case is super slim, very smooth to the touch, but rugged. What really caught my eye was the attached molded polycarbonate plastic sleeve inside the case. The iPad Air snaps into place, ensuring it stays secure no matter how you turn the case - even holding it with the iPad pointing at the floor it not a problem. A magnetic flap keeps the case closed and when opened, folds back to attach to the back to keep it out of the way. Open the case and the iPad Air turns on, using the same method the Apple covers do. The iPad Air slides out to rest against one of the two raised "stops". The resulting viewing angles include almost vertical and a more inclined angle. The iPad rests securely against the "stops" so it won't slip when you hit turbulence in the air or a bump on the highway.

I was amazed at how good it felt to hold it - the case is sleek and smooth and adds very little to the overall size. It slips easily into my backpack and briefcase and is easy to carry around like a very slim notebook. The case includes the appropriate cutouts for the camera, speakers, and buttons.

This is an ingenious design - the inclusion of the molded "sleeve" sets it apart from any other iPad case I've ever seen. If you have an iPad Air and want to protect it without adding unnecessary bulk, the Anker Ultra Slim Case is for you.
on 7 January 2014
I was supplied this iPad Air case as a review sample.

The case arrived in the usual impressive Anker packaging and upon opening, bearing in mind the very reasonable price, I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of it.

There is a magnetic clasp which keeps the case securely shut when not in use, and the front cover will put the iPad to sleep when closed and wake it up upon opening. Inside there is a polycarbonate 'shell' which the iPad clips in to and holds it safely in place. The cutouts for the various buttons and front/rear cameras are all in exactly the right places and, although it does inevitably add a little bulk to the ultra-slim iPad, it doesn't make the combination heavy or awkward (unlike others I've seen).

The tough black outer synthetic leather finish looks like it will be extremely resistant to knocks and bumps, and should last for years.

My only slight criticism would concern the two 'ribs' inside the cover which, when used in landscape mode, allow the case to support the iPad at two different viewing angles. I found these to be marginally too small/low profile which resulted in the iPad collapsing at the slightest knock or jolt. I note that other reviews have not reflected this so maybe it's just my sample. - See more at: [...]

See one answered question