5.0 out of 5 stars An incredible spectacle from a modern Pink Floyd.
Having just come back from the cinema seeing this film I can't really comment on the extra features, so I'll focus on the gig itself and hopefully go from there.

Published 9 months ago by Tim Senna

3.0 out of 5 stars Muse live on holiday?
Not the best Muse album by far.I suppose I expect too much from the West Country rockers. As a showcase the video performs better than the music cd. As a fan I am satisfied, just.
Published 6 months ago by Michael J. Hawkins

5.0 out of 5 stars An incredible spectacle from a modern Pink Floyd., 8 Nov 2013

Visuals: Firstly I can safely say this film lived up to the hype presentationally. 4k sounds gimmicky, but looks beautiful, the panning camera shots capture the crowd's and Bellamy's movement like nothing I've seen on video before and for a band like Muse this is perfect. Each violent and emotive chord Matt grills into his guitar looks almost as if you were there and the ultra hd makes you really appreciate the visual work the likes of Tom Kirk and co have put into the set design. Stunning is the word I used and at times I was taken back to the experience of actually seeing them live at the Ricoh Arena. 5/5

Sound: Simply Epic. Each instrument sounds perfect, crisp and detailed and most of all immersing. During Hysteria you feel the low crackling bass right through the room and you can't help but lose yourself in some of the guitar riffs Matt produces: I lost count of how many times I ended up head-banging in the cinema or tapping my feet and clicking to Survival. The crowd noise also is controlled well; enough to make you feel the scale of the event, but not enough to drown out the music. What I would say though is that fans used to the festival reaction to Muse, might find certain parts quite muted, but nonetheless brilliant. Sound was obviously a really important factor, and I think they've nailed it here, Knights of Cydonia gave me chills. 5/5

Setlist: One of the key issues I've seen people highlight here is the omission of certain songs off the setlist, if you're worried don't be, it's not a major problem. What I would say is that the absence of Unsustainable from the dvd of the "Unsustainable tour" is slightly puzzling, but footage from another performance is included in the extras. I would also say that the gig itself didn't have the strongest setlist, at Ricoh I was lucky enough to get Sunburn and Dead Star, neither were played in Rome and likewise New Born which I would have liked to see. Like I say, however there is still a strong blend of new and old material delivered with typical perfection from Matt, Chris and Dom (and Morgan whose synths really add to the sound). So basically it's a typically strong Muse live set, although avid fans, particularly of the older material, will probably prefer Haarp because of the nods towards the first three albums (OOS in particular) throughout and what I feel is a generally more guitar driven vibe. Oh and I don't like Guiding Light. 4/5.

Performance: The performance itself was lauded by Matt via Twitter and you can understand why: the Italian crowd get really into it (Matt's ability to speak a few phrases is also quite impressive) and the general standard is high as ever. However, what I would highlight is that as a fan of older Muse, it is a bit disconcerting to see Matt put his guitar down so willingly, especially for such a talented musician. I can't help but feel that parts of Follow Me and Madness would have benefited from more guitar, and Matt without his signature Manson looks worryingly close to a pop singer, though normal service resumes with the likes of Supermassive Black Hole. Not wanting to overlook the contributions of Chris and Dom (as both are exceptionally talented) you really appreciate the amount of work each has to do with the cut camera style: Dom's talent and effort even where you wouldn't expect it in songs like Survival is impressive and we all know about the basslines in TIRO and Hysteria for Chris. Overall the good songs outweigh the less-good ones and since it is Muse we are talking about, it would have to be a serious off day for them to not produce a top-standard gig. 5/5.

Overall: In terms of a concert dvd, I would genuinely rank it amongst the world's finest, Muse are a band unlike any other that can take ludicrous and bombastic grandeur and perfect it like a subtle craft. Matt's ego needs a bigger stadium, but personally I enjoy watching him perform as it makes a change from the sultry Gallagher attitude of modern indie. Admittedly at times the absence of any instrument from Bellamy's grasp or the occasional choppy black and white filter on the camera detracts from the experience and the exclusion of Unsustainable remains puzzling, but there is no doubt that this is a highly accomplished dvd and considering how rare chances to see Muse live are, for the asking price it's brilliant. In a way it makes me sad that I know some media reviewers will take one look at this and remember their prejudice for Muse, then brand it 3 or 3.5/5... or 4.2/10 for Pitchfork, (who are pretty clueless) when it really deserves better. I have to say personally that I prefer HAARP, but bear in mind that's like saying I prefer Origin of Symmetry to OK Computer, both are undeniably incredible. I know that my title may draw criticism- I mean in terms of mastering the stadium sound/spectacle, not musically- but I truly believe that this film, far from the murmurs of a dying breed, is proof that Rock as a genre is still live and moshing. Muse are the live band of the 21st century and I truly hope efforts like this see more people embrace them with the praise that they deserve.

TA

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 8 Nov 2013
Went to see this in the cinema last night and it was mind blowing. Having seen them live numerous times I wasn't sure that this would really be able to capture the sheer amount of energy generated at a Muse show but I was proved completely and utterly wrong.

This is absolutely beautiful to watch, the 4K presentation may sound gimmiky but it captures every little detail and sucks you into the performance like you were there.

If you haven't been to a Muse concert before, I can guarantee that once you've watched this you'll be first in line for tickets when they tour again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliving the Event, 6 Dec 2013
Having been an actual member of the audience of this concert in Rome in July, I was dubious... My concern was that after being there in the flesh, this film would put a dampener on the whole experience and undermine the fantastic memories that I gained from attending the concert. However, I SO did not have to worry. Exhilerating, energetic and groundbreaking, this film has truly captured the essence of that day.

Put it this way, if it didn't disappoint me, having been at the live concert, it won't disappoint any Muse-lover. EPIC!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Saw this show live, 13 Nov 2013
Massive muse fan, saw this tour live at coventry in the summer and it was phenomenal even at a smaller stadium and i was standing. Judging from the trailer they did pretty much an identical show in terms of the stage props and stuff so i imagine it will be a lot better from a stadium like rome. Great setlist, great performance, great atmosphere.im sure any muse fan will love this cant wait to see them again live at some point. just to note apparently unsustainable was cut from this which i can understand as although it featured an on stage fire breathing robot, the song itself was a bit crap tbh and didnt go with the rest of the show at all. not just 2nd law songs either.this is the setlist (not in order) that i remember when i saw them live and will likely be in the rome dvd:

supremacy
knights of cydonia (harmonica intro)
supermassive black hole
stockholm syndrome/new born (random roulette decided)
bliss
undisclosed desires
panic station
madness
survival
there was some i didnt recognise at the time which may have been b-sides i havent heard or much earlier stuff

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but some flaws., 29 Oct 2013
Firstly let me say how much I enjoyed the DVD. It had good quality and it had Muse so by default that makes it good anyway. Now the bad points. Okay firstly as much as the DVD did flow well, they shouldn't have cut songs from the main setlist from Rome. That was wrong. I mean look, it's the Unsustainable Tour and they cut Unsustainable. I really don't get why. Anyway second point. The black and white scenes really pissed me off. Muse put on such a colourful show with loads of coloured lights and lots of fire so this was ruined by the black and white scenes. And also why bother filming it in 4K Ultra HD resolution if you are going to make loads of it black and white. But apart from that it was good apart from the CD not having many songs on it. Oh and one final thing that irritated me. The cardboard packaging. Why? Because it damages so easily. I have other CD's that are are only a few years old in cardboard packaging and they tend to be very tatty looking and fraying at the edges.

4.0 out of 5 stars Could`ve been a classic, 3 Dec 2013
Christopher Bailey "Chris Bailey" (Wirral, England UK) - See all my reviews
I`ll keep this short, Muse are arguably the best live band in the world, I saw them a few weeks before this show at Manchester, Brilliant, as always, they played at least 27 songs at the Rome show, yet only 20 tracks on the dvd, & 13 on the cd, a full dvd concert and double cd would have made this a 5 star review. simple.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Band, 25 April 2014
As always, Muse never faily to disappoint. This is a great CD as I thought it would be - what more can I say

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Quality Video..., 24 April 2014
Steve C "Steve C" (Staffordshire, England, UK) - See all my reviews
...and the audio's not bad either!
It's a pity that this is sold as a CD plus BluRay as the latter contains many more tracks than the CD. It's also a pity that the packaging lets the product down - these cardboard thingamajigs leave a little to be desired sometimes. Bring back vinyl and LaserDiscs for their huge artwork!!!
A brilliantly captured live show (4K HD) from superb live performers at the top of their game with a great stage-show. Just a pity they couldn't have toured with all of this in the UK (we appear to have had a cut-down version at The Ricoh Stadium, Coventry, methinks)! At least we had the robot though. ;-)
Well recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Muse - nothing more needs to be said, 11 April 2014
Lesley F (Wolverhampton) - See all my reviews
I would recommend this to anyone who has a half decent taste in music. It's Muse - it can't be anything but brilliant

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 6 April 2014
Favorite group so have to give it 5 stars. Lived up to expectations! Almost as good as seeing them live.