5.0 out of 5 stars A great mix of tales for both men and women
I received an Advance Review copy from the author in exchange for a frank and honest review.

Published 13 months ago by SoozBuch

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm not a short story fan. But if you are, I'm sure you'll love these
Nine Lives - nine short stories about real people, with real lives, and real predicaments...

I must confess, that this review is a wee bit late in the writing, because I've been really struggling with what to say about Nine Lives.

I have really thoroughly enjoyed everything I've read of Terry Tyler's before, so I was excited about her new stuff...
Published 13 months ago by Stormd

5.0 out of 5 stars A great mix of tales for both men and women, 19 Nov 2013
This review is from: Nine Lives (Kindle Edition)

I'm not a short story fan, but I have read and enjoyed all of Terry Tyler's books, so figured Nine Lives would be worth downloading. I wasn't disappointed. Apart from one of the stories, all are modern day. Most people will be able to relate to many of the stories and I would imagine people's favourites will differ. As expected, the author's stories had a few twists. One story totally caught me unawares and I was very indignant and totally in agreement with the protagonist, until the very last line which revealed a huge twist. Maybe some would guess it, but I honestly had no idea. There were at least two of the other eight stories which had twists at the end and I truly didn't see them coming.
The momentum of the stories was good, just the right amount of build-up before the author whipped the carpet out from under us. The dialogue is believable, the prose tight and the nine tales are very different, so there's something there for everyone; yes, even the men - one set in a snooker club.
Of all of Terry Tyler's works I personally feel this is one which is almost equally appropriate for men and women, with problems both can relate to: heavy drinking, adultery, possessiveness, overbearing relatives, getting the wrong end of the stick, too much testosterone and more.
For someone who isn't a fan of short stories, Terry Tyler may just have changed my mind. A resounding 4.5 stars from me.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read., 21 Nov 2013
Sharon (Norfolk, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nine Lives (Kindle Edition)
I'm not usually a fan of short stories but I did enjoy these.

I wanted to read more about Angel's situation & the twists at the end of `Bright Light Fright' & `Mama Kin' were clever & funny. I did guess the twist in `Mia' but that was probably because I'd been in her shoes & I think that many people will have felt the schadenfreude which happens in the tale `Kiss Your Past Goodbye'.

My one moan was that, once I started reading it, it was over too quickly so I read it again. I wanted more but that often happens with Terry Tyler's books as they are so brilliantly written.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant collection, 24 Nov 2013
Joanne Phillips (Shropshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nine Lives (Kindle Edition)
I downloaded this for free, but would have been more than happy to pay for this short story collection. I love Tyler's writing, and in the short story form her brilliant eye for the mistakes people make and the ways in which they mess up their lives is even more focused. Hugely enjoyable, with some characters that will linger with me and a couple of fantastically plotted twists in the tail. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good taster of this author's work...fabulous, 18 Nov 2013
This review is from: Nine Lives (Kindle Edition)
I admit to being a bit of a fan of this author's writing and I was pleased these were up to her usual standard of entertainment.

My favourites are:

'Angel', a tale of lust, jealousy and adultery...always a good combination.

'Mama Kin' is a funny story with a fabulous twist. I could see the horror on Emma's face as the tale unfolded, her mind hardly able to comprehend the implications of what she was hearing.

'Shut Up and Dance' is the girl power one for me; the controlled woman breaking out, flicking her hair, saying 'enough!' and doing it anyway.

'Kiss Your Past Goodbye' is a great bit of 'karma comes back and bites you', a tale with a very satisfying ending.

These nine stories are a great introduction to Terry's writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 21 Nov 2013
This review is from: Nine Lives (Kindle Edition)
I don't like short stories, but I loved every single one of these so much that I read them in one sitting, and was left wanting more! Terry is a fantastic writer and I love all her books. Would love another collection of shorties ...

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect choice!, 9 April 2014
This review is from: Nine Lives (Kindle Edition)
I’ve just spent the day being treated at a health spa and took this book along to read in those leisurely lying down moments between sessions of extreme pampering. It was the perfect choice. I love short stories and there are really not that many books of them about. I like Tyler’s style of writing very much, and with surprise endings and twists, some humorous and some heartbreaking each story is a delight. I read it in a day and this book would be great for all those times when your reading time is broken up, such as when travelling, waiting for appointments, being pampered or really for any other time at all!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ms Tyler can do anything., 12 Feb 2014
This review is from: Nine Lives (Kindle Edition)
I love short stories, but was a little bit unsure about reading this particular selection because I love Terry Tyler’s novels so much and very few writers are good at both the full length novel and the short story.
I shouldn’t have worried. It would appear that Ms Tyler can do anything.

These nine tales deal with life, love and relationships in much the same way as her novels do. And they are, as you might expect, extremely well-written. Ms Tyler has a supreme command of the English language and her characters are exceptionally well-drawn, even within the restrictions of a short story.
She seems to switch effortlessly to the quite different style of plot and pace required.
Like all good short stories there is a twist at the end. My own favourite is the very first one, ‘Angel’, which took me utterly by surprise.

If you have not read Terry Tyler’s books before, I urge you to try this one. It will give you a taste of how good she is, and it includes a sample chapter of her latest novel, ‘What it Takes’, at the end.
If you’re not hooked by then I shall be forced to eat my hat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nine Lives is the cat's whiskers, 23 Dec 2013
This review is from: Nine Lives (Kindle Edition)
The author of this short story anthology is a rising star of the British literary world and I was curious to know why. Now I completely understand. All nine stories are simply written, but each leaves an indelible mark on the reader and any would be writer need look no further for an example of how to write the perfect short story. The reader is hooked from page one and drawn into the strong narrative of each story, so much so, you never see the well disguised final twist coming, until it slams you in the face.

This compilation is the perfect introduction to the works of this talented and prolific novelist and I could not offer a stronger recommendation to any would be reader. Terry Tyler is simply a wonderful wordsmith and if you've not read any of her work yet, you should do so without delay.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant collection of short story's, 23 Dec 2013
This review is from: Nine Lives (Kindle Edition)
Nine lives is a collection of short stories from the amazing Terry Tylor.

Each story in this collection is well written and easy to read, carrying little warning messages that are relevant to everyday life.

I’m pretty sure once you start reading you will be able to identify with the situations that Terry puts her character’s in.

Angle:

Angle the perfect wife with the perfect life will it all come falling down around her when she meets and falls for the charms of the charismatic Max?

Loved the twist around in this short well written story of lust and infidelity.

Mia:

Oh Terry you really had me there with Mia, not much more can be said, it simply is a brilliant piece of writing. An excellent portrayal of some women’s struggles in life and it’s got to be said a little scary.

Kiss Your Past Goodbye:

Ah the lost love every girls worse nightmare rewarded by Karma, Love this piece and I’m sure many girls can relate to this.

I have said it once before but Terry Tyler really is quickly becoming my favourite author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for whenb you want a short story, 19 Dec 2013
This review is from: Nine Lives (Kindle Edition)
I got this a few weeks ago when it was free. Have been reading it on my phone on the kindle app. A collection of short stories is ideal for those times when I want a short read nit an unputdownable book - on a short bus journey, at the hairdresser, waiting for a take away meal. I recognise some characters from other books of Terry's . My favourite was about a lady who worked in a biscuit factory

Nine Lives