on 5 January 2015
As someone who never really paid attention to Britney, apart from the odd song here and there, I recently fell in love with the maturer sounding "Perfume" and so I decided to purchase the album.

I had low expectations of the album, I did buy it for one song, but I can assure you I was pleasantly surprised.
I'm not sure if Britney's progression from Pop Princess to this new sound has happened in stages and I've been living under a rock, but compared to her older singles I have heard throughout growing up, this album just seems to beat them all.

Britney Jean is a Pop/EDM release, it feels recent, diverse within itself (from 'Perfume' to 'Til Its Gone', and 'Chillin' with You' to 'Tik Tik Boom'. Britney sounds more mature in this album and the EDM style makes it an addictive album (and a great revision soundtrack too).

If, like me, the latest song you could remember prior to 'Perfume' was '3', or even older, then this is a pleasant experience which changed my view of Britney Spears from a generic pop idol to a solid artist, I guess years of experience pay off.
on 17 December 2015
Initially I was disappointed in this album (as we Britney fans always seem to hope for "In The Zone Part 2" or "Blackout Part 2"), but it has really grown on me. I still hold the opinion that it's her weakest album to date, but this CD should not just sit on the shelf and collect dust.

Firstly, this was marketed as her most personal album, which got us all very excited before its release. We were then dismayed to find that her "most personal album" contained the usual dance numbers, which are great, yes, but personal? No. These dance numbers are It Should Be Easy, Tik Tik Boom, Body Ache and Til It's Gone, and I resented them filling track space as I'm generally not into dance music like this, prefering "popney" or "urbanney" (forgive me for using these names). But I've grown to like them, with the exception of Til It's Gone, which I usually skip. I really feel like It Should Be Easy would have made a great single, or maybe Tik Tik Boom. If it had a real music video that got airtime on channels like The Box and Smash Hits, she would have had a hit.

Promo was poor for this album and I think that's the reason it bombed. But Britney and her management were focusing on the beginning of her Vegas residency, so album promo was half-hearted. It's a shame. I've never seen Perfume on one of the music channels, nor have I ever heard it on the radio. It seemed to go unnoticed and ignored, like a Hilary Duff song. Pity!

It's not all dance numbers - much of this album (if you buy the deluxe version) is pop, and, upon listening to the lyrics and reading people's interpretations of them, the songs may be more personal than I thought. I read an article stating that a lot of the songs may actually be about God. And I agree. My favourite song on the album by far is Hold On Tite (deluxe), and as I listened to it I felt as though it could be about God. I'm not alone in thinking that. It's a beautiful song, and completely underrated. Other songs which may be about faith are Alien, Passenger, Now That I've Found You, and Brightest Morning Star. But maybe not... it's all interpretation. They do not sound religious so don't be put off if this isn't your thing, they could simply be about relationships, or freedom, or confidence.

The songs I like: Hold On Tight, Passenger (would have made a great single!), Chillin' With You (yes, really), Body Ache, It Should Be Easy, Tik Tik Boom, Don't Cry, Brightest Morning Star, Now That I've Found You, Perfume and Alien.
The only songs I don't like: Work, and Til It's Gone.

So, a much better album than originally thought. Bring on the next album, Brit!
Digital pop may be all about sonic perfection, but soul, substance and emotion, is frustratingly lacking. "Britney Jean" is almost a pristinely crafted result but, for an album that was suggested to be personal, not much intimacy and depth are showcased. Billed as a sequel to career-highlight, and fan-favourite, "Blackout", it made no sense to launch the album's campaign with a hummering electro-club anthem called "Work b*tch". For the most part, "Britney Jean" is mostly heavily auto-tuned, polished, melodic electro-pop stompers, and only a few sparse personal touches. The insanely addictive "'Til it's gone" combines great vocals over a massive beat-frenzy; "It should be easy" with its Daft Punk-esque bassline is another thundering affair; and "Tik tik boom"'s crawling beats are irresistibly sexy. On the more subtle side, are the wonderfully isolating yet intimate gentle opener, "Alien", "Passenger", a guitar-led midtempo with a mystical vibe, and closing track "Don't cry" whose fragility is reminiscent of former - sublime - single "Everytime". Publicity implied that this would be an intimate affair, with Britney herself saying this is an album "specifically for my diehard fans", referring to it as her "most personal record yet". It is not. Evidently, it is more of an experiment than an autobiography, a transitional record, being her first album released in her thirties. Over the years Britney has been grabbing hold of trendy musical ideas in the most unnuanced ways possible. That is a task she has skillfully accomplished. That is what makes hit albums. "Britney Jean" is a guaranteed one.
review image review image review image
on 6 April 2016
I love Britney and this album isn't a let down. There are some catchy tunes and some good collaborations. I particularly like that she did one with her sister.

You can instantly tell it is Britney- style and music are typically her.
on 13 June 2014
I like this album but it has its downfalls which are mainly down to her team rather than Brit herself.

Alot of my dislike of this album comes down to the producers/production on the album. One minute you get a raw vocal then next you get a polished vocal then you get the Will.i.am mess of auto-tuned to death. Some parts sounds like she has a blocked nose and others you could say her background vocalist takes over(aka the in-famous Myah Marie). Fair enough she doesn't have the strongest vocals but I like to see a simple acoustic / raw vocal album without the production. Fans and critics would respect her more without all of the tweeks.

I'm not even sure Brit even knows what she sounds like these days since her albums are generally over produced then when it comes to live! shows she simply lip-syncs / mic turned off.

Stand Out Tracks - Body Ache, Til It's Gone, Alien, Tik Tik Boom and Don't Cry. Those saying its not "personal" then i'd disagree some of the tracks are personal if you can see between the production and lyrics you'll see the meaning of the song.
on 3 December 2013
Britney Jean, the newest album from Britney Spears is being released today, one day after her 32nd birthday. Overall this album has more hits than misses but strangely the strongest tracks weren't released as the first or second single. Unlike, Femme Fatale, this album features a fair balance between the dance tracks and the mid-tempo/ballads. While I think Britney's voice is suited for dance backdrops, she sounds surprisingly good on half of the mid-tempo tracks. The lyrics have gotten significantly deeper than her previous albums and we are seeing a more grown-up Britney.
If you are only going to buy a couple tracks to try the album out, then you should start with:
1. Body Ache
2. Till It's Gone
3. Passenger
Here is a review of the tracks IN ORDER of FAVORITES:

1. "Body Ache" -- This hot electro house edm track reminds me most of "Scream & Shout," mixed with some 90's hi-nrg euro. The best track on the album with her best vocals to date. RELEASE THIS NOW!
2. "Til It's Gone" -- Heavy EDM track that is hard to get out of your head and another vocal stand-out from Ms. Spears. One of her best songs ever!
3. "Passenger" -- Katy Perry gets writing credits and Diplo gets production credits on this slower mid-tempo track and what I think should have been, either the first or second single from this album.
4. "Alien" -- William Orbit worked on this awesome mid-tempo track.
5. "Work B----" -- We all know this one. While I love this track, I am not happy that it was chosen as the first single. Nonetheless the beat is hot and the video is hotter.
6. "Tik Tik Boom" (featuring T.I.) -- Super sexy lyrics against a hip-hop pop-hop backdrop with super catchy chorus to boot. Ultimately this could have been released by any of today's female singers so expect more from Britney but nonetheless its highly addicting.
7. Now That I Found You - Great EDM track with a country vibe similar in sound to that Pitbull/Kesha collaboration that's out. Beautiful lyrics, beautiful vocals. Great track! This should be on all versions of the album.
8. "It Should Be Easy" (featuring will.i.am) -- This is my least favorite of the EDM Will.I.Am tracks.
9. "Perfume" -- Sia gets writing credits for this track. I was expecting much more from a Sia collaboration and these are not my favorite Britney vocals. Shocked that this was chosen as a single release. This is sadly headed for flop status. The "Dreaming" version (which is on the deluxe) sounds significantly better to me than the original.
10. "Chillin' with You" (featuring Jamie Lynn) -- Awkward track on an overall great album. Clearly, shes trying to help promote her sister with this filler track. Pass.
11. "Don't Cry"/"Brightest Morning"/"Hold On Tight" -- Not impressed with any of these slow jam fillers.
on 14 April 2015
Very underrated album , it is actually very good with very few bad songs.

Highlights are the singles and Passenger , Til its gone , Don't cry , Alien. I recommend this album to any Britney fan.
on 10 December 2013
Firstly, i want to say that i do like this album, the good songs on here outweigh the not so good ones for me, but i can understand where a lot of critics are coming from. The album is too messy and too weak for such a well established artist to release. As it is Brit's 8th album, the album does fail to reach her already very high standard which is a shame. but i can't help but feel her move from Jive to RCA played a role in the albums fate. i just hope she does at least make another great album and end on a high, rather than retire now as she has already stated that she might do.

The opening track is "Alien" and this song is very much 'alright', definitely not a standout on the album, but i do understand where the producers where trying to go with this song (trying to make it eerie, fresh or mysterious), but i just feel that Britney's vocals just don't suit the song. - 5/10
Next is "Work Bitch" which i feel is a fantastic song. will.i.am, Otto Knows and Sebastian Ingrosso all played a role in making this song and the end result is truly brilliant. So fresh, so now and the producers really took into account Britney's vocals on this song as she sounds great on it. - 10/10
We swiftly move onto "Perfume" (which is quite oddly placed i feel as it is stuck between 2 massive dance tracks, but oh well), its the 2nd single to be lifted from the album, and its really nice to see Brit release a ballad as she hasn't in a while, Sia helped create the song and Brit does do the song justice, i just feel that this song could have been sung by Rihanna or Katy Perry; theres nothing 'special' about this song that makes it truly Britney. (I do still like the song though!) - 7/10
Okay, so next is probably the most talked about song on the album, "It Should Be Easy". Many people hate the song as the main girls vocals are way, waaaaay to over autotuned, but i really like the song. i can understand that the song is quite generic in terms of todays dance music, but theres just something about the song that i really like, and is actually one of my favourites on the album. - 9/10.
We then have "Tik Tik Boom", which i don't have much to say other than its a good song (nothing special) and it amuses the teenage boy inside of me as it does sound like she's saying 'dick' over and over again. anyway i give this song 7/10.
Then we have "Body Ache" and "Til Its Gone". both are massive club songs and a really great to dance to. i can imagine the latter being a single at some point. both songs get 8/10 from me.
Track 8 is probably my favourite song off the album at the moment, "Passenger" (which is co-written by Katy Perry) is a great track with great lyrics and i can imagine hearing this song on the radio in the summertime being a big hit. really feel good and refreshing, however sadly probably the last great song on the album - solid 10/10.
So...this is where the album starts to fail for me. "Chillin With You" is a very, very basic song with some of the simplest lyrics i've heard in a while. This song would just about pass as B-Side material. but the annoying thing about this song is that it gets stuck in my head, and not in a good way. not a fan of this one - 2/10.
We then have "Don't cry", "Brightest Morning Star" and "Hold On Tight" - all of which are not bad songs by any means, they are just very mediocre for Britney. they're forgettable and not that catchy, and its a shame. they all get a very even 4/5/10 for me. The last new song on the album is "Now That I've Found You" which is again nothing special at all. an 'alright' song - 5/10.

As i said, i do like the album in general, i just feel that it's a bit of a let down considering other albums like "Femme Fetale", "Circus" or the epic "Blackout".

Let's just hope she does do another album at some point, and that she goes back to the good old Britney we loved.

Overall a 7/10 from me.
on 7 February 2014
This album is not chock-full of hits, but it has some moderately good and fun songs.

I really like "Chillin' With You" which I just discovered features .... Jamie Lynn Spears!

Obviously "Work" and "Body Ache" are the top songs in the album.

"Don't Cry" gave me flashbacks to the Oops I Did It Again, N*Sync days (in a good way).

"It Should Be Easy" and "Til It's Gone" are danceable yet generic fast-paced electro songs.

I was not happy with the album art, which I thought was uninspired.

I hope Britney continues to make great electronic dance music!
on 2 December 2013
Since "Blackout" came out, every album Britney released seemed like something was missing. Her input on her albums was minimum and somehow felt irrelevant. But not this time. Britney Jean is an album filled half with club bangers half with heart-felt songs.

Britney has writing credits on every single song and making it her most personal album to date. She mainly collaborated with will.i.am, but also has new people she worked with like William Orbit, Sia, David Guetta, Nicky Romero and a producer from the past Dr. Luke. Even Katy Perry has writing credits on "Passenger"!

The dance songs are mainly influenced (if not entirely made of) EDM, in style of the lead single "Work b**ch". The slower songs are mainly on the last half of the album (4 of which are deluxe edition bonus tracks).

The best songs are (In order of preference):

- Til it's gone (A gem can be found in every album of hers)
- It should be easy (There's so much argument between fans for this because her voice is heavily auto-tuned (Robotney) but I simply adore it)
- Work b**ch
- Body ache
- Now that I found you (Ballad-ish at the beginning, but the after chorus breakdown can make you the happiest man on Earth)
- Tik tik boom
- Perfume

The dance songs are more powerful for me, since they are the only reminders of blackout, but there's enough for everyone! The only flaw? It's too short! There are only 10 songs on the standard edition, so you'll need to get the deluxe edition to get a full dose of Brit Brit!

Britney Jean is the best album Mrs. Britney Spears has released since "Blackout" and it's a proof that when she gets involved into her music, magic can happen! With all means, BUY IT!!!