5.0 out of 5 stars I underestimated this album a lot
As someone who never really paid attention to Britney, apart from the odd song here and there, I recently fell in love with the maturer sounding "Perfume" and so I decided to purchase the album.

I had low expectations of the album, I did buy it for one song, but I can assure you I was pleasantly surprised.
I'm not sure if Britney's progression from...
Published 3 months ago by Ash Bellamy

3.0 out of 5 stars Hits and misses one more time
Published 17 months ago by Scarlet Jupiter

3.0 out of 5 stars Hits and misses one more time, 2 Dec. 2013
Scarlet Jupiter - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Billed as a sequel to career-highlight, and fan-favourite, "Blackout", it made no sense to launch the album's campaign with a hummering electro-club anthem called "Work bitch". For the most part, "Britney Jean" showcases anything but what its title implies; it is mostly heavily auto-tuned, polished, melodic electro-pop stompers, and only a few sparse personal touches. The insanely addictive "'Til it's gone", combines great vocals over a massive beat-frenzy; "It should be easy" with its Daft Punk-esque bassline, is another thundering affair; and "Tik tik boom"'s crawling beats are irresistibly sexy. On the more subtle side, are the wonderfully isolating yet intimate gentle opener, "Alien", "Passenger", a guitar-led midtempo with a mystical vibe, and closing track "Don't cry" whose fragility is reminiscent of former, sublime, single "Everytime".

Digital pop may be all about sonic perfection, but soul, substance and emotion, is frustratingly lacking. "Britney Jean" is almost a pristinely crafted result but, for an album that is suggested to be personal, it is a shame that much more intimacy and depth are not showcased. Publicity implied that this would be an intimate affair, with Britney herself saying this is an album "specifically for my diehard fans", referring to it as her "most personal record yet". It is not; in fact it is anything but. Evidently, it is more of an experiment than an autobiography, a transitional record, being her first album released in her thirties. Over the years Britney has been grabbing hold of trendy musical ideas in the most unnuanced ways possible. That is a task she has skillfully accomplished. That's what makes hit albums; "Britney Jean" is a guaranteed one.

5.0 out of 5 stars I underestimated this album a lot, 5 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Britney Jean (Audio CD)

I'm not sure if Britney's progression from Pop Princess to this new sound has happened in stages and I've been living under a rock, but compared to her older singles I have heard throughout growing up, this album just seems to beat them all.

Britney Jean is a Pop/EDM release, it feels recent, diverse within itself (from 'Perfume' to 'Til Its Gone', and 'Chillin' with You' to 'Tik Tik Boom'. Britney sounds more mature in this album and the EDM style makes it an addictive album (and a great revision soundtrack too).

If, like me, the latest song you could remember prior to 'Perfume' was '3', or even older, then this is a pleasant experience which changed my view of Britney Spears from a generic pop idol to a solid artist, I guess years of experience pay off.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sack the producers and stick with 1 producer!, 13 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Britney Jean (Audio CD)
I like this album but it has its downfalls which are mainly down to her team rather than Brit herself.

Alot of my dislike of this album comes down to the producers/production on the album. One minute you get a raw vocal then next you get a polished vocal then you get the Will.i.am mess of auto-tuned to death. Some parts sounds like she has a blocked nose and others you could say her background vocalist takes over(aka the in-famous Myah Marie). Fair enough she doesn't have the strongest vocals but I like to see a simple acoustic / raw vocal album without the production. Fans and critics would respect her more without all of the tweeks.

I'm not even sure Brit even knows what she sounds like these days since her albums are generally over produced then when it comes to live! shows she simply lip-syncs / mic turned off.

Stand Out Tracks - Body Ache, Til It's Gone, Alien, Tik Tik Boom and Don't Cry. Those saying its not "personal" then i'd disagree some of the tracks are personal if you can see between the production and lyrics you'll see the meaning of the song.

5.0 out of 5 stars Way too good to be underrated, 6 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Britney Jean (Audio CD)
Brilliant and underrated album, if you like dance/pop music I don't see why you wouldn't like this!

1. Alien 10/10
One of the album's best songs to start off, definitely a highlight

2. Work B*tch 10/10
The amazing first single from the album, the best song on here

3. Perfume 9/10
An amazing ballad written by Sia, the album's second single and one of it's fine ballads

4. It Should Be Easy (featuring will.i.am) 10/10
A great upbeat dance track, it does feature heavy autotune but it isn't unnecessary as it fits with the song

5. Tik Tik Boom (featuring T.I.) 10/10
The album's most urban moment featuring hip hop artist T.I., this could've been a smash!

6. Body Ache 10/10
Another great dance track with credits by David Guetta, totally fresh souding

7. Til' It's Gone 10/10
An instant stand out track, definitely worth the listen!

8. Passenger 10/10
At first it didn't really stand out to me although I liked it, however it grew on me and is much better than I initially thought

9. Chillin' With You (featuring Jamie Lynn) 10/10
A ballad (in my opinion) better than Perfume, also featuring great vocals from her younger sister

10. Don't Cry 9/10
A great ending track to the standard edition album, good song!

11. Brightest Morning Star 7/10
The weakest track on the album but is still good and worth the listen

12. Hold Tight 10/10
Surprisingly good, I didn't think it was anything special at first just like Passenger but it grew on me, a lot!

13. Now That I Found You 10/10
A brilliant dance track which could have easily made the standard edition album

14. Perfume (The Dreaming Mix) 10/10
Better than the original, worth the extra mark out of 10! Amazing

Overall, this album is a 5 star. I can listen to it easily without getting bored halfway in and all the songs are worth taking the time to listen to. Ignore the negativity towards Britney and give it a go!

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVED IT, 7 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Britney Jean (Audio CD)
I loved this CD. A mix of catchy dance tracks and slower pop ballads. Loved all the songs and would recommend the album.

4.0 out of 5 stars Britney's back!, 7 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Britney Jean (Audio CD)
This album is not chock-full of hits, but it has some moderately good and fun songs.

I really like "Chillin' With You" which I just discovered features .... Jamie Lynn Spears!

Obviously "Work" and "Body Ache" are the top songs in the album.

"Don't Cry" gave me flashbacks to the Oops I Did It Again, N*Sync days (in a good way).

"It Should Be Easy" and "Til It's Gone" are danceable yet generic fast-paced electro songs.

I was not happy with the album art, which I thought was uninspired.

I hope Britney continues to make great electronic dance music!

5.0 out of 5 stars Britney Jean is some of her best work to date - track by track review, 3 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Britney Jean (Audio CD)
Britney Jean, the newest album from Britney Spears is being released today, one day after her 32nd birthday. Overall this album has more hits than misses but strangely the strongest tracks weren't released as the first or second single. Unlike, Femme Fatale, this album features a fair balance between the dance tracks and the mid-tempo/ballads. While I think Britney's voice is suited for dance backdrops, she sounds surprisingly good on half of the mid-tempo tracks. The lyrics have gotten significantly deeper than her previous albums and we are seeing a more grown-up Britney.
If you are only going to buy a couple tracks to try the album out, then you should start with:
1. Body Ache
2. Till It's Gone
3. Passenger
Here is a review of the tracks IN ORDER of FAVORITES:

1. "Body Ache" -- This hot electro house edm track reminds me most of "Scream & Shout," mixed with some 90's hi-nrg euro. The best track on the album with her best vocals to date. RELEASE THIS NOW!
2. "Til It's Gone" -- Heavy EDM track that is hard to get out of your head and another vocal stand-out from Ms. Spears. One of her best songs ever!
3. "Passenger" -- Katy Perry gets writing credits and Diplo gets production credits on this slower mid-tempo track and what I think should have been, either the first or second single from this album.
4. "Alien" -- William Orbit worked on this awesome mid-tempo track.
5. "Work B----" -- We all know this one. While I love this track, I am not happy that it was chosen as the first single. Nonetheless the beat is hot and the video is hotter.
6. "Tik Tik Boom" (featuring T.I.) -- Super sexy lyrics against a hip-hop pop-hop backdrop with super catchy chorus to boot. Ultimately this could have been released by any of today's female singers so expect more from Britney but nonetheless its highly addicting.
7. Now That I Found You - Great EDM track with a country vibe similar in sound to that Pitbull/Kesha collaboration that's out. Beautiful lyrics, beautiful vocals. Great track! This should be on all versions of the album.
8. "It Should Be Easy" (featuring will.i.am) -- This is my least favorite of the EDM Will.I.Am tracks.
9. "Perfume" -- Sia gets writing credits for this track. I was expecting much more from a Sia collaboration and these are not my favorite Britney vocals. Shocked that this was chosen as a single release. This is sadly headed for flop status. The "Dreaming" version (which is on the deluxe) sounds significantly better to me than the original.
10. "Chillin' with You" (featuring Jamie Lynn) -- Awkward track on an overall great album. Clearly, shes trying to help promote her sister with this filler track. Pass.
11. "Don't Cry"/"Brightest Morning"/"Hold On Tight" -- Not impressed with any of these slow jam fillers.

5.0 out of 5 stars she's still the best.., 13 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Britney Jean (Audio CD)
She never fails me to please me, she's still the best... love you Brit and the album !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Underrated, 14 April 2015
This review is from: Britney Jean (Audio CD)
Very underrated album , it is actually very good with very few bad songs.

Highlights are the singles and Passenger , Til its gone , Don't cry , Alien. I recommend this album to any Britney fan.

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit of the old Britney is back!, 8 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Britney Jean (Audio CD)
I've been a Britney fan since the Baby One More Time days and so I always look forward to a Britney album. This album release incudes some great songs, some of which remind me of that classic pop type era and similar to tracks from her 'In the Zone' album. There are some slower tracks on there too one of my favourites on the whole album is Passenger which is a lot different from her recent release of 'Work B****'. This album has a good mix of up-tempo and slower songs which Britney fans should enjoy.