5.0 out of 5 stars A treasure trove
Published on 22 Mar 2011 by grianane

3.0 out of 5 stars not required Dvorak
This set is very reasonably priced and makes decent background listening, but there is rarely anything in Dvorak's solo piano music that comes close to his work for strings or piano trios.
Published 8 months ago by Mr. M. Todman

5.0 out of 5 stars A treasure trove, 22 Mar 2011
Never having heard any of Dvorak's piano music apart from the famous Humoreske I bought this set on the strength of a Gramophone magazine review. It is destined to become one of my most played sets of piano music on Cd. Firstly, the recording is stunningly natural. One of the finest piano recordings I have heard in recent years. The playing is rhthymically incisive, almost masculine, with just the required hint of rubato where required. The pianist clearly loves this music and so do I. Why are there not more recordings of these pieces. I have sought them out and now attempt to play many of them myself on my own piano. This set has, therefore, not only given me nearly eight hours of listening pleasure but introduced me to sheet music that will challenge me and delight me for many years to come. My only regret is that the outstanding programme notes cover the music in great detail but do not mention the pianist. I can find nothing about her on the internet. If anyone knows anything about Inna Poroshina please let us know.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, 8 Aug 2011
Dvorak has always been one of my favourite composers but the piano music has never been a part of my listening until now. This box set has been a real discovery. The music is of a high quality and the playing is excellent. The sound recording is 1st class. There is a detailed 24 page booklet in English which explains the pieces to new listeners. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hours of Delightful Music, 20 Aug 2012
Graham (Fife, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I have always loved the music of Dvorak, truly one of the greatest composers of the nineteenth century and standing alongside Schubert as one of the greatest lyrical geniuses of all time. Johannes Brahms was one his most enthusiastic admirers and remarked, "I should be glad if something occurred to me as a main idea that occurs to Dvorak only by the way".

I have known, loved and admired the symphonies, including the early ones - what an amazing work is the first - for most of my life. I love the other orchestral works, particularly those remarkable late tone poems, which anticipate some of the things that Janacek was to achieve. I have the greatest admiration for his choral works such as the Stabat Mater and the Requiem, which are still not given the recognition they surely deserve. And what of the inexhaustable Slavonic Dances and many other lighter orchestral pieces? Then there is the chamber music in which Dvorak surely invites comparison with Haydn, Beethoven and Schubert. I could go on.

Why, then, have I never heard the music for piano? Why have I deprived myself of this great pleasure for all these years? It is wonderful and amazing, so full of good ideas and memorable tunes, and it is all played with such skill and devotion by Inna Poroshina. Like another reviewer I had never heard of her, but she is superb.

This set from Brilliant is a superb bargain. Buy it today before it disappears and treat yourself to hours of delightful music.

5.0 out of 5 stars A revelation, 10 Aug 2011
I felt sure that after a lifetime of collecting recorded music I had heard it all.
Somehow Dvorak's solo piano works passed me by.
I can't praise these CDs enough. The music is beautiful, the playing superb, and the digital recording absolutely lifelike.
A stunning bargain from Brilliant Classics.

5.0 out of 5 stars This really is BRILLIANT, 20 Feb 2012
What a pleasure to hear piano music away from the usual composers of keyboard viz.Beethoven,Mozart et al. This album is so refreshing it is unbelievable ! Not being a pianist I don`t know the technical terms but find it so different from the norm that it`s as refreshing as sherbet.

The pianist Inna Porshina is brilliant

The pieces are brilliant

The sound quality is brilliant

The value (5CD`s)£9.99 is brilliant

The label is BRILLIANT (no pun intended)

Buy it--it can`t fail to please.

The best buy I`ve had in months.

3.0 out of 5 stars not required Dvorak, 5 Mar 2014
Mr. M. Todman - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars New To Me, 17 Jan 2014
Eddie Nguyen (Toronto Canada) - See all my reviews
This compilation of Dvorak is lovely...lots of unfamiliar pieces...a great way to get a real feel for this composer...a great buy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, 15 Jan 2014
Excellent value for a collection including some little known but characteristic works by a composer much better known for his orchestral output

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential !, 12 July 2013
As an amateur classical music listner and amateur musician I highly recomend it ! I don't have theoretical or pratical knowlegde to write a deepest review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dvorak, 5 Jun 2013
Great production, always love piano works, many evenings ahead of peaceful enjoyment. Would recommend this CD to anyone who enjoys this type of music

Dvorįk: Complete Piano Works