Format: Kindle Edition|Change

on 28 November 2013
This has got to be one of my all-time favourite Joanne Clancy books so far, seeing as I'm sure there is much more to come from this brilliantly talented writer and I can't wait to read them, being a huge fan of her work already. The Offering is the captivating and gripping story of a loving mother and child who move to a remote and mystical part of Ireland to start a new life and what happens when they come into contact with the wrong person at the wrong time. As the madman not only takes over their lives for a short while, but ultimately he commits the most heinous of crimes against them that it resonates within your mind and disturbs it slightly so you become entwined with the storyline as much as the vines in the forest. It takes a special author to be able to make you feel the kind of emotion that Joanne Clancy brings out in her characters, for if this skilled author can make you care about what happens to a man that everybody who knows him is literally scared to death of him and rightly so when you find out why he became the monster he turned into, then Joanne Clancy must be doing something right. Along with her vivid descriptions and wonderful writing to bring the whole thing alive and make it breathe of its own accord so it comes across as being very real and it could happen to anyone. Plus the pace of the plot was perfect and the way in which the insanity was portrayed was strongly convincing, while I also particularly liked the way it was broken up into parts and you got to read about how this affected everyone involved. It was at times heartbreaking to take in as you felt the hurt, the horror and eventually, the hope of a peaceful conclusion to this haunting tale that will stay with you long after you've finished it. For this is definitely a page turner and then some, so I think you should treat yourself to this fascinating novel and I bet you'll feel the same way too by the end of it.
on 27 October 2015
WOW....Doesn't even begin to size this book up... I read A LOT and I'm a newish fan of Joanne Clancy and am I glad I am ..... I enjoyed this book from beginning to end the twist I didn't expect AT ALL.... where I read a lot I do need to recap on books as you do forget .... BUT I KNOW that this will stay etched inside me ..... This is a VERY WELL WRITTEN BOOK....Joanne has written a lot of books so I best get stuck in to the next one .... and I'm not going to stop till I've read them ALL......
on 18 January 2014
Quite an interesting, different story. Very descriptive, you could "see" the village etc. It was a book that kept you interested.
on 5 January 2014
Very well written and so perfectly descriptive.

I am so glad I bought and read it and will, most definitely read it again!
on 20 September 2015
First book I have read by this author and it was really good. The chapters were quite short so I found myself thinking oh I'll just read another one and then stayed up into the early hours to finish it. I love crime thrillers and this had everything but with a different twist to it. Will definitely read more books by this author
on 26 December 2013
As the story develops you begin to feel sorry for the bad guy, but only for a while. I enjoyed the way the main story and back stories are revealed. I read it all in one session, I was so engrossed.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 February 2014
Super easy delivery, never without a read. Always nice to try different authors and different styles and subject matter when reading
on 20 December 2013
really enjoyed reading this book. Lots of times I don't even finish a book but this one kept me intrigued. Would recommend.
on 28 November 2013
The Offering is a brilliant, raw, and emotional book. The storytelling is brilliant. This book was a frightening and emotional read, and a savage portrait of desolation and rage. A must read.
on 3 December 2013
Without any desire to be rude, I note the other reviewers are women, which may have something to do with their extraordinary bias. I frequently wonder how books can attract such polar opposites of opinion but for me, this is one of them. The writing is wooden, not remotely gripping, as alleged elsewhere and it borders on the surreal. I fought through barely a quarter of the book, fully expecting a blinding conversion based on the flowing praise from other critics but alas, it did not improve. The first chapter, involving Sofia's "abduction" uses language that is so unreal, describes behaviour that is equally unlikely and left me feeling astounded anyone could offer up prose like this and think it's either realistic or gripping. It was free but I still feel cheated!