on 31 January 2014
What a disappointment. I heard a lot about this book and as it was on offer at the time - £0.99 - I thought “why not”. I now realised I should have said “why?”

Who would have thought it: Making plans, setting reasonable goals, checking your progress and adapting it to changing circumstances and building up networks worked! Emmm, well pretty much everyone actually.

The examples in the book were laboured and just fitted too nicely into the points the author was making, which lead me to believe they were cherry picked to fit. Or they could have been constructs of various people he’d met along the way, or real, who knows? The book isn’t referenced so it’s impossible to verify. I also disliked – intensely – the feeling I got from the book about dealing with demanding managers – get into their good books before anyone else does. He also gives an example of a typical working day that last 12 hours! Really?

Also the liberal use of the word “paradigm” begins to annoy one. So much so that every time I read it I substituted “model”. I should have known that if I’m editing a book in my head while reading it something’s wrong.

Rash generalisation also got on my nerves. For instance the frequent reference to Christian beliefs assumes all readers are church goers – I’m not - and after a while I had to skip bible stories to get to the actual point.

The final breaking point was the Left brain / Right brain personality type – it’s wrong. And it was proven wrong 8 years before the book was published. By that time I’d had enough. If you want advice on time management and people skills look elsewhere.

This was not worth the money even at 99p
on 9 February 2014
It was on my reading list at Uni and I'm glad it was. These sort of books are my thing and I've read many from this genre. This is the best I've seen so far.

My only regret is not reading this while the author was still alive, as I have many questions but the beauty of the book is that he gives you the tools to work those answers out yourself. Whether you wish to improve your personal, family, business or social interactions, this is the book for you
on 29 July 2014
I was surprised by how much I liked this book. I got it because it was a Kindle daily deal and because I had heard many people rave about it. The title had always put me off before - it sounds like a book for managers on how to make more money. On one level it is, but it is not a get rich quick scheme. Following the seven habits can make you more effective in any area of your life. It has even inspired me to write a personal mission statement - something that I never expected to want to do.
on 11 April 2016
I came upon this book in an MBA reading list and whilst this is categorised as a self help book, it clearly has implications to management and leadership within a business context but also beyond the world of work.

To me the book’s title suggested this would be more of an analysis of really “effective” (I read “successful”) people and how they achieved their success. In the end this was more of a guide to living a principle centred life. Which sounds boring but actually for me this book had an enormous impact on how I see my life and all my many roles, employee, manager, husband, son, father, friend, brother. This book is holistic, it is not a guide to career success, but a guide to how to live your entire life and the key is it helps you to write your own guide, define your own version of success, creating your own mission statement that allows you to keep perspective, and refer to your principles to help you make decisions from the big to the small.

The book is written from the point of view of the author, Stephen Covey, and the lessons he has learned from his study of personal effectiveness. Covey is clearly a thoughtful man and one who has applied his seemingly great intellect, ambition, dedication and emotional intelligence to providing a guide to living a principle centred life. The style of this book is quite informal, with a conversational tone. You feel often as though you are in a conversation with Steven Covey - albeit a one way conversation if that makes any sense!

The structure of the book is clear, it is based around the 7 habits but also gives a map of how they interrelate. The language is clear and convincing. Ideas are well developed with multiple examples to illustrate the points being made. Some examples are better than others but no major issue there.

I read this book from cover to cover in two weeks but more time is needed to fulfil all of the “suggested applications” at the end of each chapter. I plan to continue work on these and refer back to the book on an ongoing basis.

The book is light on anything you could call a conclusion but this is a guide to life, these principles need to be applied day in day out so the lack of an ending here is somewhat fitting. We are left to our own devices to begin work applying these principles to our lives. I certainly have begun and will continue to do so. This is a book to keep and dip back into for a refresher from time to time.

Seriously how many of us have stopped to really question what success means to us? Money, the next promotion, a bigger house? This book will help you take a broader view and more clearly define your own version of success. In so doing it helps you direct your efforts to achieving the things YOU want to achieve. Not blindly following some vague and generic notion of success.

Personally, I can’t recommend this book highly enough.
on 9 October 2015
This is a classic book and still has a lot of value today.

It offers solid advice that is as far from "get rich quick" and "ten easy tricks for lazy people" as it is possible to get. But it is inspiring and can help you build the character you need to succeed and do so consistently.
on 28 January 2014
I've just read this book for the third time in about 15 years and still it inspires me. This book may appear to be about leadership at work but it is just as applicable to all areas of life. For me it's about how to be a better person and get more out of life.
on 20 June 2015
I have owned a copy of this book for about 15 years and it has taught me so much. As a trainer I have used its content widely and can see in other materials how widely the concepts are used. Highly recommended for anyone who wants to influence at work
on 13 March 2015
I am pleased I purchased this book at such a good price. It has open my mind in many ways and helps me to see things differently. I am still reading and each page brings a new insight of myself. I am very much interested in counselling and self development and this book fits the profile in every way.
on 13 March 2015
This is an excellent book I will love to recommend to all who want to be high achiever and develop an effective personality in life to read yearly

The 7 habits require a daily practise in life`s endeavours and a constant reminder of them in our thoughts and behaviours.
on 6 January 2014
Read the book, did the course, had the planner. Absolute unmitigated nonsense. Simply regurgitated management / religious claptrap. Tosh! Anyone wasting their money on this must need so much help a book won't do it.