5.0 out of 5 stars Great replacement for BT Home Hub5

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars How-to Fix vDSL connection issues- Update, 8 Aug 2014
Important update, please read below
-----------------------------------

I have owned this router for over a week and been having a hell of a time with the DSL ping and speed. I search everywhere online on how to resolve x2 higher ping (from 15ms to 30ms) without success. Firstly you must remember that any new router will face the dreaded DLM ( Dynamic Line Management - https://ttb.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/651/~/dlm-%28dynamic-line-management%29 ) that can last week(s) finding the optimum speed. But anyway, here are the things to help.

Here's how to improve speed and decrease ping:

1. Update firmware

2. [wireless] settings
a) Disable [WPS] (security risks)
b) 2.4 GHz
i) Disable [b/g Protection]
ii) Set [Channel bandwidth] to [20 mhz]
iii) Set [Control Channel] to one of [1, 6, 11]
c) 5 GHz (Dont touch)
3. [WAN] settings
a) Disable [uPNP] (security risks)
b) Set [Connect to DNS Server automatically?] to [no] and add [8.8.8.8] and [8.8.4.4] to DNS Server 1 and 2 (Google Public DNS).
c) !important part! Set [MTU] to [1442] and [TCP MSS Option] to [1400] (Improve ping and connection speed).

4. [Advanced] settings, select [DSL Setting] tab
a) Set [DSL Modulation] to [VDSL2] (vDSL line)
b) Set [Rx AGC GAIN Adjustment (VDSL)] to [performance].

I couldn't be more than happier now, extremely fast and great WiFi range/speed! Good luck!

----------------------------------------

Update: 2014-09-16

Unfortunately I've found my vDSL connection dropping again and with the recent DLM effects my connection speed has dropped from 48Mbps to 20Mps. Looked at Asus wireless forum and it seems others are experiencing the same. Follow [vdslhelp] posts, I'm hoping my DSL speeds return to normal. It seems the DSL-N66U isn't ready for vDSL yet, due to firmware issues..?

When the DSL-N66U had a connection, the download/upload speed were slightly faster. The upload had increased from 12Mbps to 16Mbps, but my ping had increased from 15 to 30 back to 20 in addition to this I was experiencing a lot more CRC errors.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice router, beware the modem, 5 Aug 2014
Michael Smith "mixima" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Asus DSL-N66U Wireless ADSL/VDSL Modem Router (Accessory)
The modem in this unit was unreliable. I wanted an integrated unit, since I use port forwarding and VPNs, and have found these tricky to set up on separate modems and routers in the past. So I decided to ignore other reviewers' warnings about the instability of this modem.

Wish I hadn't. The modem would not connect after following basic setup instructions. I had to install another modem to download the firmware upgrade, install it on the new unit and then reboot before my DSL connection would work. That would have been OK, but (just as others have noticed) the untouched DSL settings started to fail again after a few days. I was unable to get the unit to reconnect, so have returned for a refund.

When the modem was working, the router seemed to function OK. It has useful parental control settings that can limit access to individual gadgets on the network according to a weekly schedule - ,my previous Netgear N600 was unable to manage that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great replacement for BT Home Hub5, 1 Feb 2014
This review is from: Asus DSL-N66U Wireless ADSL/VDSL Modem Router (Accessory)
This is a great product and works well (had it running for a couple of days now). I've got BT infinity and replaced my BT router (which was faulty) with this one. I was particularly looking for a modem router that had a good interface to set up port forwarding and VDSL capability, dual channels helps a lot too (2.4 and 5GHz). Setup was easy, once you realize you need a PPPoE/PPP username and password for BT (doh!). I now have access to my home Security cameras linked to my DVR via the internet after configuring port forwarding. In addition Asus provide you with a host name (DNS) so you don't have to worry about the WAN ip address changing if you reboot. So far so good!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the hassle or the money, 16 July 2014
This review is from: Asus DSL-N66U Wireless ADSL/VDSL Modem Router (Accessory)
Looks lovely, works or rather doesn't work horrendously. How this got to market I don't know. Took me 3 hours just to get some internet through put. 30 second internet wizard! Naahhhh.

I must have been through at least a dozen modem routers- this is by far the worst I've come across. The setup wizard simply doesn't wiz- I went through the process umpteen times before I factory restored and it decided to work..........well sort of. And before some bod from Asus says try the latest firmware , did that right off the bat (1.0.7.3).

When I did eventually get an internet connection the 2.4 ghz band kept failing- requiring a reboot to get it working again. Life is too short. It's going back. In this day and age this simply is not fit for purpose.

I should have taken heed from the previous reviews. But this is the only product with both adsl and fibre modems and thought I'd get a bit of future proofing.

I wouldn't even give it one star if I had the option and I'll definitely take heed of previous reviews in the future.

Poor, poor , poor............. If anyone from Asus feels like commenting on this review, don't bother. This product is simply terrible out of the box. Life is too short to carry out some spurious recommendations from you- I'm not getting in contact with your technical support and wasting more of my life on this . You must know how bad it is - why is it still in the market place? Shame on you..................

UPDATE

The second unit

Having sent the first unit back for being hopelessly terrible Amazon reduced the price to where I thought it maybe worth another try. The first one performed so badly perhaps, just perhaps it was a faulty unit. Surely a company like Asus with it's reputation for quality couldn't produce something so bad. Well yes and no.

Initially I didn't upgrade the firmware on the second unit, but found the DHCP table didn't work- reserving ip addresses for devices. So I upgraded with trepidation to the latest firmware. I had trouble with the dsl connection too as other reviews here have mentioned. This was rectified by manually using one of the preset profiles. Not lost a connection for over a week as of this review. I think a lot of the problems with this unit is where people are not installing the firmware properly/ it's over complicated to install. After upgrading the firmware it is essential to perform a hard reset- pushing and holding the reset button for about 10 seconds.

I also had repeated problems with the wireless where certain devices talking to each other on the 2.4ghz band over the network would cause the 2.4ghz band to totally fail- requiring a reboot. However this seems to have corrected itself and I've not needed to reboot the device in a week.A few gripes, in order to get wireless stability I've had to turn off the support for older b/g devices. This seems to improve initial connection to the router from n devices. The second gripe probably isn't really Asus' fault. The 5ghz band is near to useless unless you have clear line of sight to the router. Put a wall, floor or ceiling in the way and the performance is terrible. More the nature of 5ghz than poor manufacturing.

So it's been stable for a week. If the situation changes I'll update this review accordingly.

On the day to day practicality of the unit a few things I would like to see in any future firmware update. One would be an option to turn off all of the led lights on the unit. At the moment you can turn off all but the two wireless band traffic indicator lights- I find where my router is placed the lights to be a distraction.. And secondly an option/button on the user web interface to disconnect the modem- useful if you want to get a new ip address and also justto stop internet access.

Out of the box this device is terrible. After a proper firmware update and instillation it may work for you.

So there you go. My faith in Asus products partially restored. I hope this review is proves useful to you.

2nd UPDATE

So I've had this second unit for about three weeks. One of which it was not plugged in. I managed to get wireless stability for all of six days and then it started to fail constantly at which point I unplugged it. Talked to Asus support where the issue was escalated, a few requests for network info etc and now well over two weeks and no solution. Noticed a firmware update release 1.0.7.6 and thought I'd install and give it a try from the previous 1.0.7.3. Only forty minutes of wireless stability. Hence to say it's going back.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good potential - not ready for prime time, 26 Mar 2014
This review is from: Asus DSL-N66U Wireless ADSL/VDSL Modem Router (Accessory)
I have had this product for a couple of weeks so far - and can confirm that it's quite good and offers a great potential, yet it's not ready for prime time.

It identified my ADSL2+ connection quickly and correctly; I then manually updated the settings to match the static IP details I have from the ISP. WiFi signal is good, 5GHz network is much faster than 2.4 GHz, yet it's flaky and my laptop keep dropping back to 2.4GHz. Yet my main concerns are with high number of bugs in the firmware. I received the unit with firmware 1.0.5.4 and promptly update it to 1.0.6.7 (the latest available at the time). Here are immediate bugs I found:

* it adds an invalid entry to its routing table. My static IP is 78.x.x.x - the router automatically added to routing table entry 78.0.0.0/255.0.0.0 with gateway being itself - this effectively blocks the entire 78.0.0.0 range for me (there are a lot of big name public sites in that range). I logged into the router and manually deleted the offending entry from the routing table - but upon reboot it was added again. I submitted bug report to ASUS but haven't heard back.

* it automatically generates incorrect dnsmasq.conf file thus preventing dnsmasq from starting up - consequently DNS resolution from the router itself does not work. Consequently to that, it cannot resolve hostname of the NTP server and hence cannot sync the time (this is easily solved by specifying IP address for the NTP server). I submitted bug report to ASUS but haven't heard back.

* Port forwarding does not have an option of specifying source IP's - you either forward for the entire internet or not forward at all. I reported this to ASUS and they replied that they will include this into a future version of the firmware.

* It doesn't like my ISP-provided netmask for my static address. It believes that netmask 255.255.244.0 is invalid. While it's certainly not following the RFC recommendation - it's just that, the recommendation - it is valid, but the router doesn't accept it.

* There are bugs in the UI interface javascript. Sometimes I click a button and nothing happens - I then look in the javascript console - and there are javascript errors, such as undefined functions or variables, etc. I reported the bug to ASUS but haven't heard back.

On the whole, it looks rather promising, but it'll probably be another few months before it's solid enough to be of real use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased. Very easy to set up (took about 5 ..., 20 Aug 2014
This review is from: Asus DSL-N66U Wireless ADSL/VDSL Modem Router (Accessory)
Bought to replace my BT Home Hub 3. Has extended the wi-fi range almost double what the HH could provide and doesn't reboot constantly when you try to pass large files through it to another network machine. Very pleased.

Very easy to set up (took about 5 minutes) and looks great.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Router - lose 1 star as the admin interface is a bit dated, 12 May 2014
This review is from: Asus DSL-N66U Wireless ADSL/VDSL Modem Router (Accessory)
I've had this modem/router for nearly over 4 months as I was upgrading to FFTC from ADSL and it has been working fine with the exception that IPlayer stutters after 1min and then reconnect a lot of the times. All other videos sites work fine including youtube, 4OD, Prime etc, so I don't think it is the problem with router but more likely some infrastructure problem with the BBC. Ironically, BBC live streaming has no problems.

My sync rate is 79999 and I can achieve download speed of around 75mb and upload of 70mb. I have had no problems with the wi-fi on 2.4 or 5GHZ (I use both). In all there is not a lot say.

PS: For anyone using the FFTC modem, make sure that you set 802.1q to YES and VLAND ID to 101 or it won't connect.

5.0 out of 5 stars This device has two processors rather than sharing one which means it's nice and quick, 1 Sep 2014
This review is from: Asus DSL-N66U Wireless ADSL/VDSL Modem Router (Accessory)
I've been looking for a VDSL modem router for a while. This device has two processors rather than sharing one which means it's nice and quick.

It also support BT Vision multicast transmission which was key to my requirements, so I can watch live stream TV.

I have also used the VPN function which was another requirement, nice and easy to set up and seem to be reliable.

I have purchased many routers in the past and all have some features which were missing or didn't work correctly, this router seems to offer everything you would need for a home router and maybe a little more.

5.0 out of 5 stars as implied in the literature but WOW if you need help the customer help team are fantastic., 16 Aug 2014
This review is from: Asus DSL-N66U Wireless ADSL/VDSL Modem Router (Accessory)
Was not plug and go, as implied in the literature but WOW if you need help the customer help team are fantastic.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Up To Expectations !, 18 Jun 2014
Mark Walters (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Asus DSL-N66U Wireless ADSL/VDSL Modem Router (Accessory)
I bought this router to replace a BT HH5 in order to improve WiFi performance and resolve an HP wireless printer issue. I had read the other bad reviews for this product but thought I'd ignore them as I'm quite technically minded and have always been able to solve WiFi/Broadband issues in the past. Upon receiving the DSL-N66U I upgraded to the latest firmware (1.0.7.3) and then connected it to the BT master socket. Everything worked perfectly and I was very pleased as WiFi performance was definitely improved and the HP printer issue seemed to be resolved. However, during the course of the next few hours, different members of my family kept saying that their devices had lost the internet connection and so I checked the router "System Log" only to find that, after being on for just a few hours, the router had dropped the WAN connection (VDSL connection to the exchange) four times and each time had re-connected. In the seven hours I had the DSL-N66U installed, the connection to the exchange had been dropped a total of nine times which is totally unacceptable and a problem I had never had with the HH5. I have no idea why this routers VDSL connection is/was so unstable but, as far as I'm concerned, it should work straight out of the box. I have therefore re-installed the HH5 and will return the DSL-N66U for a refund. I have previously owned three other ASUS routers and have always found there performance to be excellent but, unfortunately, this is not the case for the DSL-N66U IMO.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›