5.0 out of 5 stars My second pair ...
Published on 27 Aug 2010 by Ren

2.0 out of 5 stars A great shoe, that lasted less than 1 year
Initially I thought this shoe was great. I bought these, as I previously had a pair of Merrell Chameleons that lasted close to 10 years! (admittedly I do not go hiking every day, though the old pair made it through a few trips to Thailand, through jungles, water, and various hikes over the years).

The shoe is comfortable, although quite large. I have used it...
Published 8 months ago by Mojo 2000

5.0 out of 5 stars My second pair ..., 27 Aug 2010
Cannot recommend these highly enough. These are my second pair, the others are still as comfortable as the first day I wore them, but had been worn to death and were looking a bit tatty. Supportive, very grippy (which means they can squeek a bit on hard floors), breathable (so they have never developed old trainer smell). When they get particularly muddy I throw them in the washing machine ... my old pair must have been through a gentle wash at least ten times. When ordering get a size up as these consistently come in quite small ... I am 9 to 9 1/2 and these size 10 are perfect.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bulky Bad Bays, 2 Sep 2011
Steven Winter "steve w" (spain(ex Pat)) - See all my reviews
When i first opened the box I couldn't believe how bulky they were but after putting them on the comfort is unbelievable.
I showed them to my wife and she said "they look like large bumble bees".(due to the florescent cotton stripes) But they are well made and apart from a few pieces of cotton coming away were easily cut off they repel water and keep feet cozy and secure. The ONLY thing I have found wrong is the level of grip on a wet surface. I was power washing the car at my local garage on a concrete floor and very nearly went head over heels on more than one occasion and also whilst walking on wet floor tiles is like walking on ice hence only giving them a 4 star review.

2.0 out of 5 stars A great shoe, that lasted less than 1 year, 19 April 2014

The shoe is comfortable, although quite large. I have used it for several hiking trips over the last year with no problems. On a recent trip though I notice that the shoe has worn away on 1 side, so now has a hole in the light coloured mesh material. The other shoe is showing signs of wear in the same spot. There is no obvious reason why this should have happened other than cheap material that does not last - it is clearly under tension in 1 spot where it is stretched so has simply burst.

I am now in the process of trying to contact Merrell to get a return, though have no idea if I will get a satisfactory resolution. Very disappointed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Merrells Cham Wrap Kahuna shoes, 29 Jan 2011
I bought these walking shoes following on from a previous pair of Merrells, that had lasted for 3 years & were still being used for gardening work. The new pair were instantly comfortable, very comfortable. However, my walking shoes get used 3 days a week as a wildlife guide & photographer, so saltwater, shingle, mud, etc. This pair did not stand up to this at all, in fact inside 3-4 months they were letting wet in, even grass dew meant wet feet. After 7-8 months they were falling apart, the fabric on the front edges came away, the edges of the shoe where they join the sole came away. After just 12 months they are consigned to the bin, they now absorbing water & aren't even in any use walking down the pavement if it's raining. Overall I am very disappointed & surprised, I started to wear the old ones until I replace these, they are still relatively waterproof & have been seriously abused.

If you want a pair of walking shoes for lightweight walking on dry summer paths, these will be fine & comfortable. If you were thinking of some rougher terrain than I would not recommend.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not built to last! Poor quality - Returned., 6 Oct 2014
Well after 10 months these shoes developed 2 holes one on each shoe, one was by the big toe the other was by the little toe.

I was very disappointed in the build quality. These are meant to be one of the best walking shoes on the market.
I cannot believe they developed holes in such a short period of time. Thankfully Amazon accepted them for return.

The shoes do fit well and are good for gentle walking but forget any vigorous hiking they will fall apart. One good thing about the shoe is they fit snugly and support the foot.

Other bad things are they stink to high heaven very quickly. They also are not waterproof so any small splashes from streams or dew and your feet are soaked.

So if you have high demands of your walking shoes look elsewhere.

You can check the holes in the shoes here:

and

5.0 out of 5 stars great shoe, 31 Mar 2009
Juice (co down,uk) - See all my reviews
very comfy shoe, well worth getting. think i stood on something sharp and burst an air bubble, squeaks when i walk now,aaaghhh

2.0 out of 5 stars size all wrong, 20 Jan 2014
these used to be so comfortable but now you can,t get the write size
10,s must be a nine at most
need to order a 11 just to get a pair to fit
never been a 11

1.0 out of 5 stars terrible, 22 Sep 2014
shockingly uncomfortable .. and THAT was just sitting on the couch with them on !
Merrill fit is AWFULL and totally screwed up.. I got 11 as im a 10 but they were still too tight across the toes.
I will NEVER buy Merrill again !

4.0 out of 5 stars Buy larger than usual, 15 Aug 2014
As many reviews suggest, sizing is a bit off with these shoes. I would normally wear an 11 to 11.5 in a walking shoe. Size 12 seems to fit me more or less like an 11.5. Occasionally, I think I should maybe even have gone for a 12.5. I would say go up at least half a size from your normal fit and very probably a full size, especially if you intend wearing thick walking socks. If only wearing thin socks, just half a size up might do. Once they're on, they are pretty comfy, although I wouldn't mind just a touch more width in the toe end (but I have bad feet). They are quite wide in the toe box though and the lacing is flexible enough to allow you to vary the tightness all the way from toe to tongue, so most people are probably going to find these a good fit. The midsole and insole are quite springy to give a bit of cushioning and the shape of the shoe seems to be capable of giving decent support if laced up properly. The sole seems quite grippy and tough to me, but I haven't had chance to really challenge them yet. It is supposed to be possible to leave them fully laced and just slip them on and off. What I do instead (and recommend) is just undo the lace at the top. The rest of the lacing seems to stay in place and you can get your foot in and out quickly without damaging the shoe (or your foot) and it only takes a second or two to undo or retie the bow at the top of the laces. They are also vegan-friendly, which is another reason I bought them, as well as all the reviews saying how comfortable they are.

2.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight, light on performance - and therefore poor on price, 13 Jun 2012
I bought these shoes because I liked the design. I like the design so much that this is the second pair I have bought. The first pair disintegrated about 3 years after I bought them. So I bought the second pair DESPITE the performance shortcomings.

The soles are made of the type of material that slips easily in the wet: wet rock is challenging, wet footpaths not so much.
The sole is thin: very thin. This is the first area of the shoe to fail - on the sole joint just below the ankle bone.
The rand is fine, but breaks (cracks, tears) on a line level with the base of the toes.
The breathable upper does what it says on the tin. But it lets water in. (That's fine by me)

So I like how they look but not how they perform.

And in relation to the price, I'm cross with myself for buying a second pair. So roughly 80 quid over three years: 25 quid per year, or 12 quid per foot per year, a quid a month per foot.

Looking at all my other trainers, this shoe offers very poor value for money. But I like them - how sad is that?

(EDIT Feb 2013)
The new pair has already failed: the fabric has ripped roughly in line with the bottom of the laces. This will be the last time I buy these shoes. Pity.