5.0 out of 5 stars Prodigy's pyromaniac practicalities...
Customer Video Review     Length:: 0:11 Mins
***DISCLOSURE***
I was kindly provided this item free of charge to test and evaluate. In exchange, I agreed to provide an honest review detailing my thoughts. This is said review.

===== WHAT'S IN THE BOX? =====
3x...
Published 9 months ago by DARKcell

2.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant idea... but....
A brilliant idea in theory but can you get it to work as described? I certainly can't!
The fire-steel itself is as good as any you'll find but the magnesium block is the problem. Using the striker you can scrap up a small pile of magnesium shavings (although this takes some time and effort and it's hard to keep them all in one place).
This pile is a small target...
Published 1 month ago by george

5.0 out of 5 stars Prodigy's pyromaniac practicalities..., 22 Mar 2014
DARKcell - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Friendly Swede Magnesium Emergency Fire Starter Blocks (3 Pack), Black (Misc.)
Length:: 0:11 Mins

***DISCLOSURE***

===== WHAT'S IN THE BOX? =====
3x flint/magnesium blocks
3x saw/strikers
3x metal chains

===== INITAL IMPRESSIONS =====
Straight out of the box the items are well packaged and come with clear instructions on how to use effectively. They all would appear to be of a high quality, something I am coming to expect from 'The Friendly Swede'.

===== METHOD =====
Simply use the saw to scrape away at the magnesium block and create a small pile of fillings. This will need to be somewhere relatively covered, as they are very susceptible to the wind.
You should already have the rest of your fire starting kit to hand, i.e. tinder, wood etc.
Use the back of the saw, the striker; and push this rapidly against the back of the magnesium block, the flint.
This will create sparks. Make sure said sparks fall on your pile of magnesium fillings and you're sorted. Fire!
Chuck in the tinder and build slowly. Simples.

===== PRODUCT IN USE =====
To create the pile shown in the video I've attached, it took around a minute or so of scraping away at the magnesium block with the supplied saw. Obviously to create a larger pile, or to get results quicker, then you could always use a more substantial saw/serrated blade; but for normal fires, the supplied saw fits the bill just fine.
Using the striker against the flint to create sparks was ridiculously easy and also rather fun! It took just a couple efforts to get used to it, and the sparks created (as shown in the video) easily ignited the magnesium.
The length of the metal chain that attaches the magnesium block to the saw is perfect. I was fearful that it would be too short and hamper the process of striking the flint, or indeed too long and get in the way. Neither of these concerns have been realised, as at 17.5" unravelled, they are just so.
The magnesium held a flame for a good 20-30 seconds after ignition, giving you plenty of time to throw in some tinder and get going.
One thing I'm impressed with is that using just the one magnesium block I've already created two piles of fillings easily large enough to start two separate fires, and the amount of the block that I've used is easily just a fraction of 1%. Meaning that with just the one magnesium block, you could easily start hundreds of fires, if not more.

===== CONCLUSION =====
For the quality of the products, and the ability to make a large amount of fires over time, I believe that the current price would have been almost acceptable to charge for just one of each of the supplied items. As it is, you get three of each, meaning value for money is extremely good.

I simply can't fault this product.

OVERVIEW
----------------------------------------------
Would I recommend this product to a friend? Yes, without hesitation.

PROS:
+ High quality items
+ Simple to ignite the magnesium
+ Supplied chain keeps everything together
+ Ability to start many, many, many fires with just the one magnesium block
+ Great value for money
+ Three times the fun!

CONS:
- None
----------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------

5.0 out of 5 stars The Friendly Swede Fire Starting made easy, 22 April 2014
Alessi Lover "C.A.D." (Knightley UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Wow even I can now start a fire!

These are just so useful if out camping or even having a barbecue and needing to light a fire. We are a non smoking household so either the candle lighter gets lost. (Other half tends to have a habit of leaving it in his coat pocket, never to be found). Or looking for soggy matches again left in his pocket.

This is a safe item to carry about in your pocket or bag, no fear of accidentally lighting it. But I must warn you that it needs not to left near children, as they find it quite fun and start to mess. They wonder what it is, then when told, well like most kids they want to try it out.

I did get it to light but only after a few goes, but thinking it better that way at least I can feel safer knowing that it will not strike a light straight away.

The chain on it is a good idea, easy to misplace if not, but then again with there being three in a packet we should not have any worries about fire starting. Really is good for picnics, parties and just in case you get stuck out in the back of no where without heat, at least you will be able to start a fire.

They look well made and come with a lifetime guarantee, fast delivery and packed really well. So glad to have been sent these to review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Since i m a son of an army i love these items- survival kits, 14 Aug 2014
I have been into this kind of world a short while before the end of the world in 2012.LOL. Since i m a son of an army i love these items- survival kits. I have almost everything to survive in the wild as a hubby and who know what's next. and this fire starter kit is the must to do everything as we know how important a fire is.
son is on scout and he loves it too.

I have used many fire starter so far and when i saw this one on youtube i had to get it. Probably you would feel the same when you check out the video on youtube. It's kind of impossible to start a fire with the other fire starter even with the bear gryll ones. but this one is amazing. The sparks it throws is always awesome, massive. scratch a bit of aluminium from the back of the block provided, Gather them together and let some sparks get over it and the magic happens for few seconds to minute. Then you will have an enough time to place some dry timber, paper, whatever you need to make it bigger. The fire it creates with the magnesium is so good that it could fight with small wind.

other cheap brand fire starter are still ok with me in build quality so i am just wondering how far it's gonna go due to it's -strong build. Its cheap too, think about the size of magnesium block you get on top of it with three set. Could leave one on a car, one at house and one in your bag all the time.

If you want to show some tiny fire works to kids than go for other brand but if you are serious about what you need it for than close all the tabs now and don't even think about other starters. This is the Man. Extra long chain keep them together ,is not long enough to put through the head but it's not needed as it's not a necklace but it's long enough to hold them in distance when making fire which makes it comfortable.
looks heavy in the picture but it's light enough to carry, It has rough feeling which makes it easy to grip the main body and wouldn't slip though your hand like a fish...

I am so happy to have both the version (new has a handy ruler and bottle opener ) and very thankful to The Friendly Swede for prompt delivery ,amazing item and great service. HIghly recommended item and seller. Would definitely buy from you in future.

I want to be the 100th feed-backer but can't wait to give them what they deserve.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it's meant too - awesome!!, 15 July 2014
Perfect bit of kit. The weekend was the first opportunity i had to test out the fire steel, it was my first time using any product of this type. I managed to ignite an upside down stack with one strike of the steel and left the fire to take hold with no more attention - I wasn't smug at all!! Ha. What's more I ordered on a Saturday and received it on the Sunday less than 24hrs later. This fits perfectly with some tinder cards in the small pouch on the sheeth of my Becker BK10. What's more it comes in a three pack so we have one tucked away in each car too just incase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant design and bright light when lit. Reasonably easy to use., 21 April 2014
Silverfrog (Leeds UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Length:: 2:23 Mins

I was kindly provided this magnesium fire starter kit by the manufacturer and as far as I am aware is identical to the retail version.

The magnesium firestarter kit is a very good design and comes in a pack of 3 magnesium and flint blocks, 3 beaded chains and 3 saws. To start off with, I suggest you put each magnesium block and saw together on the provided chains so you don't lose them. The chain is long enough so that you can use the saw easily when either creating magnesium shavings or using the flint to light it, The magnesium blocks have a coating which you need to saw through to get to the magnesium itself and on one edge, there is a long flint stick that you use to strike to light up your hard earned shavings.
As mentioned in the video, it is extremely difficult to use if there is the slightest wind as the magnesium shavings go everywhere so I advise to use a piece of paper to catch the shavings and bend the edges so that they don't blow away. It takes a little time to light the shavings with the flint but once lit, the magnesium flares are hard to blow out.
All in all very good design and handy to have on a camping trip.

5.0 out of 5 stars Use it and you'll love it, 13 Oct 2014
Excellent product, matches the advertised description perfectly.

I took one with me on a two night wild camp and used this product exclusively for my fire starting. If you have appropriate kindling, they work perfectly.

Two tips. The product comes with a fine coating on it that need a few seconds to scrape off. Once the coating is off, you will get an excellent spark and the magnesium bursts into a super hot flame. Second, keep out of the wind when scraping off shards of magnesium, it tends to get blown about quite easily. I found that if I scraped the magnesium into my kindling bundle ( on this occasion I used the inside of some dry birch bark from which I'd scraped off some fine particles and also used some dry pine needles ) and then sparked the ferro rod, everything went fine.

Delivery of the item was super fast and I now have one of these in my Every Day Carry tin. Excellent value and a very reasonable price. Kudos to The Friendly Swede for an excellent product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for both price & quality, 21 Nov 2014
Just got these & they are really good, hold the striker & saw sharp side flat against the magnesium & shave up & down to get a good mix of particle sizes, this makes it easier to light & burns really hot... me & my girlfriend have these with our tins of home made char cloth from old denim, brilliant combination that can't fail to start a fire... & we are considering buying more so we have a couple in each of our emergency packs as fire is essential in an emergency to survive (unless the emergency is a fire, then these won't help lol), & 1 for each of our knives (WARNING, do NOT strike these with your knife, it WILL ruin the heat temper making it easy for the metal of your knife to crack, it is a VERY high temperature spark)!!! ..... only just found this company online & am impressed so far, we shall be having a look at the other products they have that we may need in an emergency/survival situation, if we prepare for anything we will be calm, comfortable, & ready if something does happen :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product and seller, 28 July 2014
These were delivered quickly and were exactly as described, I have only tried one block but they seem to work well and for the price you can't get better! Even received a nice email explaining how to use etc before the delivery arrived. All in a good company to deal with and would happily recommend to other buyers!

5.0 out of 5 stars If only King Louie had these!, 7 April 2014
SBno1 - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
I received one of these direct from the company to try out. They have not asked for or suggested that I write a favourable review, they have left me to write what I want good or bad.

Whenever I use fire starters I always think of King Louie in the film Jungle Book "What I desire is man's red fire to make my dream's come true". If only he had a pack of these, then the film might have been very different!

In the pack you get 3 sets of fire starters, scrapers and chains. The chains can be adjusted to shorten them, but the length is just right as it is.

With traditional fire starters I have used, you get a rod of magnesium which can be scraped and sparked up. The problem with these rods is that they work well up to a point where they get so thin they snap off. Where the Friendly Swede fire starters have an advantage is that the magnesium spark rod is bonded onto a flat block so it can be rubbed down to a thin strip and still function. The added bonus is that the main block can also be scraped down into filings that will help ignite the fire.

I am not sure what the main body is made of, I am assuming a magnesium alloy with aluminium perhaps. Whatever it is, it won't inadvertently spark when scraping, easily scrapes off into small neat shavings and is very light weight.

The scraping blade is very effective on the flat side. There is a very small ridge on it that assists the scraping and/or sparking. The blade is advertised as having the ability to act as a saw, but I found mine to be blunt. It was OK at scraping though, but I preferred the flat edge.

In terms of starting a fire, it was as good as any I have tried when igniting dry tinder. A few strikes and the sparks caught perfectly. I then tried it on some tinder I had that I left out overnight. It wasn't wet, but had taken up some atmospheric moisture. My Bear Grylls fire starter wouldn't ignite it by sparks alone, I had to gently scrape the rod to get some filings in place. After that it caught as it should. Next I tried the Friendly Swede fire starter. As expected the damp tinder wouldn't ignite on spark alone. A few scrapings from the block was added into the mix, a spark and ignition.

In comparison terms, both starters worked the same to get a fire going. The difference being that the Bear Grylls fire starter needed to use filings from the sparking rod and thus accelerating the point where it will snap off. The Friendly Swede has ample fuel built into the main block and does not affect the wear rate of the sparking rod. If the tinder had been particularly troublesome, there was plenty more of the block to scrape if I needed a more intense flame. The other major difference is that I get 3 fire starters from the Friendly Swede for the price of 1 Bear Grylls fire starter.

For me it is a no brainer, when I am next roughing it on a weekend trek, I'll be taking a Friendly Swede with me :D

Now sing along:
Ooh-bi-doo, I wan'na be like you
I want to walk like you, talk like you, too
You see it's true, an ape like me
Can learn to be like you, too

Can learn to be someone like meeeeeeee

5.0 out of 5 stars Fire pretty, 6 July 2014
Crazy fast delivery and does exactly what it promises. I can't believe you get 3 in a pack for less than the cost of a Bear Grylls Ultimate Fire Starter! These things are solid and so much less likely to snap than a regular fire steel. A must have for all bushcraft/survival enthusiasts!