We pre ordered this book as my wife is a big fan of the Hairy Bikers and we already own two of their other books (from the Hairy Dieters series).

Published 13 months ago by Chris M

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as programme
Not as good as programme. Difficult and expensive ingredients. Long list of ingredients too. Let down by this book by hairy bikers. Interesting read tho.
Published 3 days ago by sbailey

5.0 out of 5 stars An exciting and inspirational cookbook, full of images and advice. Would highly recommend, 30 Jan. 2014
Chris M (York) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)

We are keen cooks and like to cook a lot of meals from scratch but it has to be said that when it comes to Asian food, our knowledge and experience is lacking, despite loving this type of cuisine, with only a couple of recipes that we tend to do frequently at home.

I have posted a more in-depth review for those that are interested after this initial summary, as well as a full recipe list at the end, but to try and briefly summarise the main things I like about the book:

- Every single recipe has an image; the majority have a large colour image or multiple images, and a few will have the image on the page before or after that recipe.

- As with their other books we own, the Hairy Bikers’ methods are in-depth and really explain the recipe well, leaving you in no doubt as to what to do, and which ingredients you can or can’t substitute (I have uploaded a couple of images on this page to help try and show what a typical recipe page looks like).

- My wife loves the fact Si and Dave have made an effort to keep the recipes healthy even though this isn’t formally a part of their dieting series (note no calorie info though)

- The recipes, as with many books, seem to vary in their apparent difficulty. As we are relatively new to cooking Asian cuisine there are some recipes we can’t wait to try, and others that look a little complicated for now or require ingredients we don’t think we’ll be able to get in our local supermarket, and may be more something to try and a weekend when we have the time (the time for things to potentially go wrong!).

Looking for criticisms… I sincerely have none. I think the key is knowing that this book is aimed at those that like Asian food, and like to cook from scratch. If you are looking for a recipe book that won’t require you to buy and prepare fresh chilli, ginger and garlic etc, then perhaps this won’t be the book for you.

My only word of caution when recommending the book, is that some of the recipes will call for specialist ingredients, that you are unlikely to have to hand (e.g. Black rice vinegar). But my view is that there are plenty of tasty looking recipes in the book that do not require specialist ingredients; we have started to cook our way through these with two great successes so far.

I have posted a recipe list at the end of my review, which hopefully will help you in your decision of whether or not to buy, but my personal opinion is this is an excellent book, and one I hope I will be reaching for again and again as my confidence with Asian cuisine improves. I will of course update this review later.

Ok so now for those of you wanting a more in depth review…

The first thing I look for with any new recipe book is images, and this is one of the few books I own where every single recipe has an accompanying image, which is nothing short of fantastic. Added to this, there are lots of images from Dave and Si’s travels that accompany the recipe sections, which for me really makes the recipes all the more inspiring and something I can’t wait to cook.

The book is split into ten main sections:

Our Asian Adventure
South Korea
Puddings and Cakes
Ingredients A-Z
Suppliers

The introduction section ‘Our Asian Adventure’ nicely sets up the book and alleviates any fears you may have with regards to the recipes being too difficult. It’s certainly worth a read, it also introduces how to ‘rock your wok’ (i.e. season it), however we do not yet own a wok since our hob is induction, so thankfully they also state that a frying pan will be fine.

Each regional recipe section again has an introduction with text and some wonderful pictures of the region and the food in that region. So if like us you have yet to see their accompanying TV series, you still get a nice sense of context for the recipes in that section.

As with the other two books Hairy Bikers books we own, Dave and Si introduce the recipes well and give plenty of advice and hints throughout. I also like how they immediately recognise that not everyone will be familiar with Asian food and so they explain certain elements e.g. the recipe for pork and mushroom gyozas, my first thought “what are gyozas”, and the first line of the introduction ‘Gyozas are Japanese dumplings that are shaped like little Cornish pasties”.

The explanations they give, combined with the wonderful full colour images, really do help put aside any issues of ‘what is this’ or ‘how should it look’ before setting about a recipe.

The recipes seem to vary in difficulty; we today did two of the most straightforward looking ones, but some, especially the sushi recipes look a lot more involved and complicated, but great for when we have the confidence and the time.

The recipes we have tried were the Chow Mein and my wife made the Five Spice Poached Plums.

When looking at the Chow Mein recipe, there’s no timing summary given anywhere, so I read the method from start to finish before thinking about attempting this and I’m glad I did.

Reading through made me realise how much prep is involved (which wasn’t actually as bad as I’d thought) and how quick the actual cooking process is once all ingredients prep is done. The end result was fantastic (my wife agreed!), using the dry noodles we had in the cupboard they were unbelievably tasty. So we are very pleased and can’t wait to do the next (which I think will be the Chicken Katsu Curry).

My wife initially commented that the pudding section does not seem especially authentic, and much more Asian inspired, then in reading the introduction, Dave and Si state that the puddings they experienced on their travels did not seem to translate well here in the UK. Still we love the look of the puddings and the thought that has gone into them. So this slight lack of authenticity is not a criticism just something to note if you are considering buying the book. It’s a plus for us that you can see so much thought and time and effort has clearly gone into this.
One small word of caution is that upon first glance, it can seem that some recipes have a rather long ingredients list. However upon closer inspection this seems to be down to the fact that the majority of them are herbs and spices, therefore yes there’s a lot that goes into them and quite a lot of time may be spent putting the ingredients together before quickly cooking them, but for us it was worth it.

I was worried you would need to buy a lot of specialist ingredients, but the majority of ingredients for the recipes I’ve looked at doing are now available in supermarkets. Having said that there are certainly some recipes (looks like the more complex ones) where I would need to go to a specialist supplier, but the suppliers section at the end is great since it starts by listing online nationwide suppliers, then goes to listing by region (with one supplier near me in York).

Having only cooked two recipes, I am hopeful that this is a book we shall continually reach for (as we do with Dave and Si’s other two books), and as our confidence improves we will progress to the more complex and specialist recipes. But I will certainly post updates in a couple of weeks to add a little more depth and experience to my initial thoughts. Feel free to post any questions about the book and I’ll do my best to help.

RECIPE LIST:

Rainbow Rolls
Chicken Donburi
Tempura Scallops and Asparagus with Ponzu Dressing
Dashi Stock
Toridashi (pork and chicken stock)

KYOTO AND RURAL JAPAN

Lychee and Ginger Pavlova
Coconut Sticky Rice Pudding with Lime and Papaya Salad
Red Bean Cheesecake
Sake and Mint Granita

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of interesting recepies and nice and easy to follow, 20 Mar. 2014
This review is from: The Hairy Bikers' Asian Adventure: Over 100 Amazing Recipes from the Kitchens of Asia to Cook at Home (Kindle Edition)
I got this book around 2 weeks ago having been following the serie on TV. I do love the Hairy Bikers and there approach to cooking. As with the other books they have done the recepies are really easy to follow.

Before each of the recepies there is a small description/story/explanation to the dish or how you could do things different or why it is eaten or how in the country of origin, I like this as I get a bit of an idea of the country. The book also got beautifull pictures which help you to get an idea of the food you are cooking and how it should look when finished.

Two of the dishes I have made with great sucess is the Kimchi Stew and Kimchi Pancakes. They were delecious and the taste was quite close to the original dishes I tasted at my Korean friends house, a bit simpler in taste but not far off. Also I cooked some of the Japanese recepies and they were really nice as well.

With the ingredients I find that most can be found in the bigger super markets if not the book got a wonderfull list in the back showing where the ingredients can be bought online. If living near to London most of the ingredients can be found in and around the Asian super markets in ChinaTown (I was lucky enough to be able to shop there the other day), however, for the people who don't live near London or don’t have big supermarkets try to buy it online instead.

Most of the recepies does not require all kind of fancy equipment, however, a pestle and Motar seems to be essential.

I would recommend this book to anybody who is interested in Asian Flavours but would like to make nice and easy uncomplicated food. If you are a very experienced Asian Cook you may find that a lot of the recepies are not super unique and similar recepies occure in other cookbooks.

I loved the fact that the introduction to the dessert chapter clearly stated that this is NOT authentic but included because the Hairy Bikers really liked deserts. And for a dinner party it’s nice to have a take on deserts with Asian flavours.

I have given the book 5 stars as I can see myself using it again and again and all recepies seems nice and easy to actually follow.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent cookery book, 21 April 2014
I received the book about a month ago. I have tried three recipes so far: the ‘hot and spicy squid salad’, ‘Thai massaman chicken curry’ where I replaced the chicken breast by chicken thighs (more juicy) and the ‘Thai fish ball noddle soup’. I am extremely happy with the resulting dishes!!! The flavours and the textures are wonderful. Having the guidance of these recipes has opened new doors for me, using ingredients I wasn’t used too. Many of the recipes require a few ingredients we might not have commonly in our cupboards, but nonetheless, these are very easy to get in Chinese supermarkets.
The ‘Asian Adventure’ of the `Hairy Bikers’ is an excellent overview of the food traditions of the Far East. A very big thank you to Si, Dave and all the team behind this project, for given us a very good insight into the Far East cuisine, and as part of this, this book that gives easy access to achieving those wonderful dishes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, 2 Mar. 2014
Fantastic, but prepare to spend a lot on ingredients, also need a Chinese supermarket or shop online, but we'll worth it

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 7 Mar. 2014
A wonderful book with great photos, and wonderful mix of recipes that are easy to follow. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because there is no index of recipes in the kindle edition so to find recipes you have to go thought the whole book.

5.0 out of 5 stars You can't go wrong with the Hairy Bikers!, 5 Feb. 2015
FLB (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
We love the Hairy Bikers recipes. They are a minumum of faffing for a maximum of taste and texture. The recipes are easy to follow, in a format that I like, none of the arty farty formats that some of my other cookbooks have that find them relegated to charity shops after a week of frustration. I want one recipe with one picture and in a standard font. Hairy books always have clear instructions, great photos and are just a non nonsense delicious approach to cooking.

Even my 12 year old twins like to read the cookbooks - we have 5 of theirs now and have never had a bad meal.

5.0 out of 5 stars 善哉善哉 The Lads, 11 Mar. 2014
Five stars because I can't give it ten! Yet another great book from another great TV series; the Sumo wrestling had me in stitches. Like Great Curries the book is well illustrated throughout, the recipes are easy to follow and fairly quick to prepare. Anyone who says they can't get the ingredients probably thinks the internet is something on a West London tennis court.

Again, as with Curries the section describing the ingredients is excellent and likewise the list of suppliers. One (minor) gripe; they failed to mention the fabulous Asian Cookshop, check out that web site, where you can not only get the exotic ingredients (great Bombay Ducks), but also the exotic cooking equipment (even Rick Stein now has a proper cast iron wok), even a home-sized Tandoori oven. I just hope they follow it up with a UK cooking demonstration tour as they did with Great Curries.

If you are new to Asian cuisine but Dude and Kingy have whetted your appetite, check out Charmane Solomon's The Complete Asian Cookbook. Easy to follow recipes including from Asian countries that the lads didn't visit, presumably because of BBC budgets.

PS

Dave Myers isn't a Brummie, dude, he's from Barrow-in-Furness.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Hairy Success, 5 Mar. 2014
pvmk (Cambridgeshire, England) - See all my reviews
Great fun book, easy to follow, some unusual ingredients but not impossible to find. Si and Dave are able to bring something of each region to life.

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute must have!, 1 Feb. 2014
Fantastic book at an amazing price. Recipes you've always wanted to try and cook made simpler. With the help from this northern duo.

5.0 out of 5 stars The very best yet, 22 Feb. 2014
excellent book every recipes looks good. Can't wait to start cooking for my friends at dinner parties and hearing there comments