We pre ordered this book as my wife is a big fan of the Hairy Bikers and we already own two of their other books (from the Hairy Dieters series).

Published 7 months ago by Chris M

1.0 out of 5 stars atrocious formatting for the kindle
No linking whatsoever . Very poor rip off attempt at an e book do not buy. Get the paper book instead
Published 1 month ago by Nicholas Paulley

5.0 out of 5 stars An exciting and inspirational cookbook, full of images and advice. Would highly recommend, 30 Jan 2014
Chris M (York) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)

We are keen cooks and like to cook a lot of meals from scratch but it has to be said that when it comes to Asian food, our knowledge and experience is lacking, despite loving this type of cuisine, with only a couple of recipes that we tend to do frequently at home.

I have posted a more in-depth review for those that are interested after this initial summary, as well as a full recipe list at the end, but to try and briefly summarise the main things I like about the book:

- Every single recipe has an image; the majority have a large colour image or multiple images, and a few will have the image on the page before or after that recipe.

- As with their other books we own, the Hairy Bikers’ methods are in-depth and really explain the recipe well, leaving you in no doubt as to what to do, and which ingredients you can or can’t substitute (I have uploaded a couple of images on this page to help try and show what a typical recipe page looks like).

- My wife loves the fact Si and Dave have made an effort to keep the recipes healthy even though this isn’t formally a part of their dieting series (note no calorie info though)

- The recipes, as with many books, seem to vary in their apparent difficulty. As we are relatively new to cooking Asian cuisine there are some recipes we can’t wait to try, and others that look a little complicated for now or require ingredients we don’t think we’ll be able to get in our local supermarket, and may be more something to try and a weekend when we have the time (the time for things to potentially go wrong!).

Looking for criticisms… I sincerely have none. I think the key is knowing that this book is aimed at those that like Asian food, and like to cook from scratch. If you are looking for a recipe book that won’t require you to buy and prepare fresh chilli, ginger and garlic etc, then perhaps this won’t be the book for you.

My only word of caution when recommending the book, is that some of the recipes will call for specialist ingredients, that you are unlikely to have to hand (e.g. Black rice vinegar). But my view is that there are plenty of tasty looking recipes in the book that do not require specialist ingredients; we have started to cook our way through these with two great successes so far.

I have posted a recipe list at the end of my review, which hopefully will help you in your decision of whether or not to buy, but my personal opinion is this is an excellent book, and one I hope I will be reaching for again and again as my confidence with Asian cuisine improves. I will of course update this review later.

Ok so now for those of you wanting a more in depth review…

The first thing I look for with any new recipe book is images, and this is one of the few books I own where every single recipe has an accompanying image, which is nothing short of fantastic. Added to this, there are lots of images from Dave and Si’s travels that accompany the recipe sections, which for me really makes the recipes all the more inspiring and something I can’t wait to cook.

The book is split into ten main sections:

Our Asian Adventure
South Korea
Puddings and Cakes
Ingredients A-Z
Suppliers

The introduction section ‘Our Asian Adventure’ nicely sets up the book and alleviates any fears you may have with regards to the recipes being too difficult. It’s certainly worth a read, it also introduces how to ‘rock your wok’ (i.e. season it), however we do not yet own a wok since our hob is induction, so thankfully they also state that a frying pan will be fine.

Each regional recipe section again has an introduction with text and some wonderful pictures of the region and the food in that region. So if like us you have yet to see their accompanying TV series, you still get a nice sense of context for the recipes in that section.

As with the other two books Hairy Bikers books we own, Dave and Si introduce the recipes well and give plenty of advice and hints throughout. I also like how they immediately recognise that not everyone will be familiar with Asian food and so they explain certain elements e.g. the recipe for pork and mushroom gyozas, my first thought “what are gyozas”, and the first line of the introduction ‘Gyozas are Japanese dumplings that are shaped like little Cornish pasties”.

The explanations they give, combined with the wonderful full colour images, really do help put aside any issues of ‘what is this’ or ‘how should it look’ before setting about a recipe.

The recipes seem to vary in difficulty; we today did two of the most straightforward looking ones, but some, especially the sushi recipes look a lot more involved and complicated, but great for when we have the confidence and the time.

The recipes we have tried were the Chow Mein and my wife made the Five Spice Poached Plums.

When looking at the Chow Mein recipe, there’s no timing summary given anywhere, so I read the method from start to finish before thinking about attempting this and I’m glad I did.

Reading through made me realise how much prep is involved (which wasn’t actually as bad as I’d thought) and how quick the actual cooking process is once all ingredients prep is done. The end result was fantastic (my wife agreed!), using the dry noodles we had in the cupboard they were unbelievably tasty. So we are very pleased and can’t wait to do the next (which I think will be the Chicken Katsu Curry).

My wife initially commented that the pudding section does not seem especially authentic, and much more Asian inspired, then in reading the introduction, Dave and Si state that the puddings they experienced on their travels did not seem to translate well here in the UK. Still we love the look of the puddings and the thought that has gone into them. So this slight lack of authenticity is not a criticism just something to note if you are considering buying the book. It’s a plus for us that you can see so much thought and time and effort has clearly gone into this.
One small word of caution is that upon first glance, it can seem that some recipes have a rather long ingredients list. However upon closer inspection this seems to be down to the fact that the majority of them are herbs and spices, therefore yes there’s a lot that goes into them and quite a lot of time may be spent putting the ingredients together before quickly cooking them, but for us it was worth it.

I was worried you would need to buy a lot of specialist ingredients, but the majority of ingredients for the recipes I’ve looked at doing are now available in supermarkets. Having said that there are certainly some recipes (looks like the more complex ones) where I would need to go to a specialist supplier, but the suppliers section at the end is great since it starts by listing online nationwide suppliers, then goes to listing by region (with one supplier near me in York).

Having only cooked two recipes, I am hopeful that this is a book we shall continually reach for (as we do with Dave and Si’s other two books), and as our confidence improves we will progress to the more complex and specialist recipes. But I will certainly post updates in a couple of weeks to add a little more depth and experience to my initial thoughts. Feel free to post any questions about the book and I’ll do my best to help.

RECIPE LIST:

Rainbow Rolls
Chicken Donburi
Tempura Scallops and Asparagus with Ponzu Dressing
Dashi Stock
Toridashi (pork and chicken stock)

KYOTO AND RURAL JAPAN

Coconut Sticky Rice Pudding with Lime and Papaya Salad
Red Bean Cheesecake
Sake and Mint Granita

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 27 Feb 2014
Great recipes very authentic having lived in Asia for 5 years I should know especially liked the Penang beef curry

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Hairy Success, 5 Mar 2014
pvmk (Cambridgeshire, England) - See all my reviews
Great fun book, easy to follow, some unusual ingredients but not impossible to find. Si and Dave are able to bring something of each region to life.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Culinary Adventure, 3 Mar 2014
Bought this beautifully presented book during their current TV series (Feb/Mar 2014). The TV series is truly wonderful to watch and I hope that the BBC bring out a DVD eventually. I have worked and lived in SE Asia and know the area and cuisine well and this book refreshes past memories. It is set out in an easy to read way and nowadays the majority of ingredients are available somewhere. A lot of the dishes dealt with in the TV series and book are really easy to prepare. Cosmetic(!!) woks are available in big department stores, but more useful ones are bought from Asian supermarkets. Season it well, but Dave & Si inform you how to do this. There are a lot of great easy recipes to try. Pre cooking preparation of the ingredients is the key to using a wok to cook SE & NE Asian food. Practice the same dish a few times and you will easily get the hang of how "wok chi" works. What I found really interesting watching the TV series was exactly how the locals do it - the preparation & the procedures & the additions & accessories used. The visuals help the book to really come alive. But a superb book - buy it

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, 2 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Hairy Bikers' Asian Adventure: Over 100 Amazing Recipes from the Kitchens of Asia to Cook at Home (Kindle Edition)
Fantastic, but prepare to spend a lot on ingredients, also need a Chinese supermarket or shop online, but we'll worth it

5.0 out of 5 stars The very best yet, 22 Feb 2014
excellent book every recipes looks good. Can't wait to start cooking for my friends at dinner parties and hearing there comments

1.0 out of 5 stars atrocious formatting for the kindle, 12 July 2014

2.0 out of 5 stars The Hairy Bikers Asian Adventure, 22 April 2014
Bought this on Kindle. Almost useless as you are constantly having to flick between pages while trying to make the recipe. Will only buy this type of book in real book form in future. The kindle is great for stories but useless for cookbooks!

4.0 out of 5 stars Satisfied Customer, 2 April 2014
I've been a fan both of Asian food, and of the Hairy Bikers, for many years, and this combination of both had me excited. The book did not disappoint, I have maybe 7 or 8 Chinese and Thai cookbooks around, and twice as many other cookbooks, I've come not to expect miracles from any cookbook, just half a dozen recipes that are nice enough and easy enough to make regularly and add to my reportoire. This book delivers that so far and I believe will be more like 10 or 12 new regular meals for me. Frankfurter and noodles is my favourite so far!

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute must have!, 1 Feb 2014
Fantastic book at an amazing price. Recipes you've always wanted to try and cook made simpler. With the help from this northern duo.