on 15 July 2013
Found that this book was neither a dry textbook, nor the script for a TV drama. It steered a middle course, presenting enough facts, in an interesting way, without being over melodramatic. The full coverage from a medieval kingdom to the first signs of a modern world are explained by describing the lives of the five monarchs that ruled during that period.
on 15 March 2013
This book was concise and easy to read, covering the six Tudor monarchs in some depth - showcasing their political, religious and personal achievements and failures. A great overview of one of the most fascinating eras in British history.
on 25 April 2015
What an absolute bargain.

For the purchase price of £1.79 this book is a steal. Like most people, I suppose, I had some knowledge of the Tudor Period and the more prominent characters that made it such a rich and fascinating era. Having read this book I now know a good deal more.

This is a history book that reads like a novel; it isn't dry and full of meticulous detail and is all the more enjoyable for it. Of course some level of detail is important, otherwise there would be no point buying it. For me there is the correct amount of detail within the framework of what it sets out to be: a concise record of perhaps the most defining period of British history.

It's not just an enjoyable and interesting read; it will, I am sure, also act as a good reference book if something of that period comes to your attention.

I have no reservation in recommending this book; Jane Bingham has provided me with a lot more knowledge than I had previously and kept me thoroughly entertained. Take my advice. Buy it.
on 14 April 2013
On page 7 of the book it reads 'On one side were the descendants of the Duke of Lancaster, whose supporters wore a white rose emblem. On the other were the offspring of the Duke of York, who sported a red rose.'

On page 8 it shows a table showing - A Royal House Divided. This also shows Lancaster as the white rose emblem and York as the red rose emblem.

I have checked other editions of the book by the same author showing the correct information that Lancaster was the red rose emblem and that York was the white rose emblem.

I am very disappointed. How will I know what other information may be incorrect in this edition of the book?
on 14 February 2015
I was looking for a book that would give me plenty of background into the Tudor period, being as it is so full of religious and political twists and turns.
First, the positives: it is a straightforward narrative of the period that is fairly easy to read.
Next, the negatives: it is very simplistic. There is very little, if any, analysis or discussion that would have brought the whole text to life. It reminded me of a school textbook, where you are simply fed dates and people's names. I was looking for more.
If you know nothing about the Tudors, then this book is ok, but beyond that, there are probably other books you should try.
on 8 November 2015
I should've paid heed the the other negative reviews about this book but I thought I'd give it a try, I have several other books on the subject of the Tudors and thought maybe this one might offer up something new. I was sorely mistaken, it just seems like the author cobbled random bits of fact with a lot of made up supposition. Completely glosses over the time spent by Catherine of Aragon in financial and emotional limbo. To be honest I gave up after that. Please don't buy this book there are far far better ones on this subject out there.
on 19 February 2015
my interest in this arose from seeing the television adaptation of Wolf Hall. i read a sample chapter of that book and found the writing style awkward and annoying.
Jane Bingham's style is neither of those. despite being a slow reader and easily lost by complex relationships, i got on well with this book. it's thorough but not overly detailed: some history writers insist on including every snippet of information they have uncovered but Bingham doesn't. she maintains a breezy pace but not at the expense of depth.
it's a tribute to her writing that i read this book at every opportunity and managed to keep track of the many relationships it covered.
i thoroughly enjoyed this and would recommend it to anyone.
on 15 August 2012
The most charismatic dynasty in English history is neatly encapsulated by Jane Bingham, who chronicles the battles, the plots, the relationships and the purges in a simple and easy-to-follow style with plenty of pictures and illustrations. For anyone who wants to get a clearer idea of all that the Tudors got up to - and they got up to an awful lot in not much more than a century of rule - this will give you the big picture.
on 19 October 2014
There are many books on the Tudors but I found d t his one extremely readable . It is,clear and concisely written including all he facts one wants. it creates a human picture of the main participants without the usual flights of romantic fantasy. I would recommend this to any lover c th he Tudor period as a good,and accessible reference source
on 13 February 2015
What a brilliant book, as a person who disliked history at school I couldn't believe how interesting it was. I have read many fictional books on the Tudors but the factual version was much more enjoyable. I have a newfound interest in history!