Format: Audio CD|Change

on 2 March 2014
As a long-running Crystal Method fan, I was severely disappointed with their latest offering. Having really enjoyed their collaboration with Martha Reeves last year as well as the non-album songs 'Make Some Noise' from the "Real Steel" soundtrack and 'Lucian', my hopes were high for their 5th album. I also thought that 'Divided by Night' was brilliant, so I figured that a mere repeat in form would have sufficed. Unfortunately, this album is a massive let down for me. The band seem to have taken the collaboration approach from their last album and let it lead them in a much more commercial and tacky direction. Awesome tracks like 'Dirty Thirty', 'Smile' and 'Blunts and Robots' which featured the usual blend of powerhouse techno and experimental synths have vanished, only to be replaced by poppy, production heavy, cut-to-shreds dance tracks that sound more like Skrillex and The Glitch Mob than The Crystal Method or The Prodigy.

I, for one, severely resent the influence of Dubstep on modern music and I hate it when bands that I love like TCM or Papa Roach succumb and implement elements of this dreadful genre in their music. The result? An album that is simply way to jumpy in places, almost so that it just becomes annoying. It's a shame too because some of the vocal contributions aren't bad, they're just surrounded by tacky music. Basically, this album sounds nothing like their classic work like "Vegas" or "Tweekend" and, although I support musical progression, I resent the way that the band has let modern the modern EDM scene brush off on them.

Hardcore fans may still enjoy this album, if only for the tracks 'Jupiter Shift' and 'After Hours' which I did enjoy. However, I don't recommend many of the other tracks. My suggestion is to watch the video for 'Over It' on Youtube and, if you find that you're not overly impressed, just buy the two tracks that I have recommended. Or go back and listen to "Tweekend" again for old time's sake.
on 5 February 2014
One of the best albums I have heard in a while. This album has a crisp mix of well produced tracks, dirty beats with fitting vocals peppered with rolling 80's ish bass guitar. A nice addition to the Crystal Method stable of music.
on 21 January 2014
Crystal Method rock! I wanted some new material for my iPod to play in the car. I would usually just use 1 or 2 tracks from an album, wound up putting the whole album on there! *****
on 18 February 2014
When it comes to electronica, Crystal Method are one of the most enduring acts around. They might not have had the influence of the Prodigy, or the commercial success of the Chemical Brothers, but the Method's sound is one of the most distinctive around. Having produced countless songs for film and TV, they are instantly recognisable, particularly to their fans.

Their masterpiece debut, Vegas (1997) set the bar incredulously high, with epic after epic leading a new audience to believe this was the best dance act since 1989's Prodigy set our 'Fire' alight. The truth is, while they have produced a number of albums since then, none have really nailed it since that '97 debut. Tweekend was strong, but maybe too grungey. Legion of Boom was reasonable but lacked many stand-out tracks. And Divided by Night was just plain weak.

Indeed, arguably their best 4 works since Vegas were not proper 'LP's' - with 2006's movie soundtrack for the feature film London, the same year's Nike Run mix, and their 2 excellent Community service mixes.

So this year's January release of self-titled 'Crystal Method' rather sneaked up on us - their first for 5 years. And, quite honestly, it's their best album since the debut.

It features 11 tracks, each a classic mix of their symbolic buzzing, sampling, electronic scratching and dirty fat beats. It's the Method as they truly are, and seems to show them rather going back to basics. It's not easy to pick out stand-out tracks, because all bar 1 are, and that one exception is the weak 'Grace' featuring Leann Rimes. If it hadn't featured her pop-heavy voice it may have sounded slightly more credible, but unfortunately the feel of the song is just too close to 'Can't Fight the Moonlight' by the same artist, and makes not visualising her singing cheesy pop on a bar virtually impossible.

That aside, the tracks remind us how good this band are. Admittedly it's probably a 'grower'. It won't blow you away first listen - it's good, but not great on that awkward first sample. But the more you listen and let it take you over, the more it emerges that, Vegas aside, this is the Method's finest studio album to date.
on 7 October 2014
all as described arrived prompt. no problems. excellent album
on 6 May 2015
Perfect.
on 2 February 2014
What a disappointment this CD is, apart from a passable first track this CD is a shambles of their former glory. A commercial sell-out and a poor quality one at that.

Just buy Vegas, Tweekend or the mix CDs.

TCM, you suck on this CD and I guess you probably know that and are just counting the cash.