on 11 March 2014
If you are in the transition from beginner to intermediate php, then this book will teach you some good stuff.
Such as stored procedures for mySQL and how to implement a shopping cart.

I think thats where Larry was aiming it at.

There are some areas. explaining the MVC architecture for example, I am at odds with.

to me , the book implies that the database layer is the entirety of model and that php is the controller.
this is not entirely true. The database layer is only part of the Model, the other part of the model being the business processes that are implemented in php. but that's possibly going somewhere the book maybe didn't want to cover

Also, The use of objects are not as comprehensive as they could have been.
for example, in a book of this substance, I would have expected a templating system be used , to separate out the view code, from the PHP. This would actually have made it even easier to comprehend

I gave it 4 stars because of that. Perhaps in the next edition, we'll see a templating system and more objects. Then I will give it 5 stars.

But hey, this is a good book and worthy of a read, its certainly better than most of the books out there trying to cover similar topics. I've got hundreds, so I am in a position to compare..

I guess I'm just a critical reviewer

Also, Unless you want to jump in at the deep end, this should not be your first php book.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 April 2016
I have given this book four stars, only because I have yet to read it all the way through and can't say for sure if it's worth five or not.
I am relatively new to web development, having only been learning for about 6 months (including HTML and CSS). And the only other PHP and MySQL book I have read is 'PHP and MySQL for Dynamic Web Sites', which is by the same author.
I was unsure if the jump from 'beginner/intermediate' to 'intermediate/advanced' would be too hard, but this book follows along perfectly from the last,
almost as if Larry intended it to be so.
It starts off with no coding at all, just two chapters of security and general concepts, then it's right back to the code writing.
I like that it doesn't hold your hand too much, it requires that you understand what you are doing, not just mindlessly copying. But at the same time it's not hard to understand, everything is explained in good detail and I really feel like I could create an online store from scratch after finishing this.
If there's one thing I wish this book had, it would be the 'Review/Pursue' sections at the end of each chapter, that's one thing I miss from the other book.
on 11 April 2014
Had the first edition but this one's gone a step better. Inclusion of OOP and 2 payment options (paypal and stripe) is a bonus ... but boy oh boy its chunky ! Lots of info. I'd say its targeted to intermediate. Beginner get his other "building dynamic web pages".
on 21 April 2016
Without a decent knowledge of php you will be struggling to get anything from this for instance the file paths on windows are certainly wrong. He fails to mention his set up to start with and all in all this book is very disappointing!