Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.75

on 11 February 2014
I must say that this was an excellent book, full of period detail and in Matthew a "hero" I want to read about again.

Lovers of the period should give this book a try, I doubt that you will be disappointed .
on 26 February 2014
More please Alan. If this is the first novel I can't wait to read the next. Alan brought Elizabethan London to life. I could almost walk down the streets with Matthew and his friends. The story had many fascinating twists and turns. Well done Alan.
on 4 January 2014
I love Alan Butler's writing. His work is always detailed, challenging simplistic perceptions; and it reads well.
I am looking forward to this being published as a proper book. It is a change of direction from Mr Butler; most of his work is based on history and the meaning and mystery of past cultures, but as far as I am aware this is his first book concentrating on a single historical figure;and I love the fact that it is someone who is formerly completely unknown to me. This particular story is fascinating, I want more!
on 31 January 2015
I really liked the way the characters were portrayed in this book. To be honest it took me several chapters to decide I could actually get in to the story line , but as it got further on , I really wanted to find out what was going to develop. Hence the 4 star rating . I did enjoy reading it , even though it didn't grab me in the first few chapters it did evolve.
on 17 December 2013
This is one of the best historical books I've read, great characters with unexpected twists, and the descriptions are written in such a way that really brings Elizabethan London to life. I'm looking forward to more from this excellent author.
on 5 February 2014
I haven't finished it, yet - but am loving it so much, just HAD to recommend it! I can't wait to see what happens!
I'll write another review when I get to the end!
on 26 February 2014
Thoroughly enjoyed my foray into the dark world of Tudor intrigue and treachery, made all the more enjoyable by the fact that I found myself really liking the book's main character, Matthew Prior as I followed him through an exciting web of danger, violence, murder and mayhem tempered with life's best qualities, love, friendship, loyalty and a liberal sprinkling of humour. The author bought Tudor London with all it's vivid contrasts, wonderfully to life. He has a mastery of easy and natural dialogue which makes all his varied characters - from Prince to Pauper - human and believable. I couldn't put the story down until I knew how Matthew had fared. I feel quite bereft now the book is finished and only hope the author is going to treat us to more of Matthew's adventures.

Julia Hannan 25.02.14
on 31 December 2013
Loved this story. Full of Historical realism and Matthew is so believable that I felt I knew him! I think it would make a super TV serial. I can just see him!
on 4 January 2014
I love to learn something when I read a novel and clearly this is very well researched and written. I felt I was in the Elizabethan period. Matthew Prior is an interesting character and I hope there will be more stories about him. An excellent read.
on 29 January 2015
Interesting storyline poorly edited, carelessly spelled, with anachronisms. A pity because promised more.

I hope next book to these points.