Note: The supplier sent me a review sample, no attempt was made to influence my opinion

I've used quite a few media streamers, including the WD Live series and the Roku offerings. Both did the job but the WD was laggy and slow, and the Roku was priced too high in my view for a media player/streamer.

The Keedox Android Smart TV box is quite compact making it easy to put anywhere.
A few highlights of the box include:

* The box has a number of connections including an SD card slot, 2 USB ports, HDMI out and LAN, optical out and digital audio out.
* You do get a supplied remote which works ok, there are no batteries provided though (takes 2x AAA)
* You get a composite video and stereo audio out included, I used the HDMI lead I already have
* It's running Android 4.2 not the most up to date version, but recent enough and it offers MIRACAST (for devices that support this)

Powering on the unit it's very much the same experience as using an Android tablet, though you do get a launcher which lets you use either the normal Android look, or the Keedox skin which has larger icons and text and might be more useful for quick media use. Wifi is built in but I had to do a reset on the unit to get that to connect (first time it refused to), it's now connecting just fine (with good signal strength) and I've been testing it for a while with no other problems to report.

Using the Keedox is simple and easy, you can use it just like any other Android powered device. After registering and going to Google Play, you are free to use any "apps" you wish on the unit. I do subscribe to Netflix so I put that on there and it worked just fine for playing movies back.

I didn't find the dual core processors slow, in fact I found performance fairly decent overall thanks to 1GB of ram moving between apps was fairly quick and without notable lag or other issues. You do get 4GB Nand Flash built in, which is enough to get you started, the SD card slot will allow you to increase your storage or to put video/music files on there too.

The remote is ok for what it is, moving between apps and basic controls on the unit is simple enough and responsive. The range was also fairly good. It might be worth investing in a mini wireless keyboard though as this will greatly help if you are doing web browsing, some of these have control pads which act like a mouse too.

File format support covers most of the common audio and video files you will encounter. If you want extensive file support you should install the VLC media player which plays just about anything out there. The major advantage of the Android platform is that you can use it just like any other device, install apps, games, other software and customise the entire experience to suit your needs. The Keedox isn't just a media player like other proprietary streamers, it can be a media hub and with a huge number of apps available it's much more than just a playback device.

This is one reason Android smart TV boxes are so popular of late, you have a box that can be tailored to your own needs.
Areas for improvement?
- I'd prefer an HDMI cable to be bundled with it
- Remote is ok but a couple of batteries would be useful
- Base of the unit is smooth, rubber feet would help it grip surfaces better

Overall though, thanks to the decent price and the flexibility the Android platform offers, this is a solid budget Android box which is well worth investigating.
on 13 January 2014
We bought this box for our spare bedroom we don't have aerial socket and couldn't watch telly. It's great we can watch Sky Go and other tv apps. My Fiance has even dowloaded an app for watching football that is not being shown on the tv.
I have used it for the internet and it works well but sometimes needs a min if you try to do too much but in the whole works well.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 24 January 2014
Out of the box I was really impressed with this. I was so impressed that I purposely did not write a review straight away as I thought it was too good to be true.

The box comes pre rooted, wow awesome!
A modified version of xbmc (vidOn xbmc) I never heard of comes pre installed, so uninstalled this and went for the official app. Uninstalled that and reinstalled vidOn as there were more features added for the modified version that was pre installed.

Video playback was awful to start off with playing files stored on an external drive. It was only after tinkering with the audio settings to pass through to my av receiver and the display output that it was able to play videos without freezing frames, and still can notice slight choppiness during playback especially when there is a scene where it's panning.

Those of you who don't know, if you plan to download thumbnails for your library in xbmc, the app stores this cache locally and will indeed keep doing so until the local sdcard space (nand) has been filled, This then causes xbmc to crash and reset the app! Losing all library cache. I have since been on the search for some help in regards to the app being able to save the cache to ext SD, no luck so far (directory bind app on xda doesn't work)

Lastly and the most annoying thing is that the android display settings will not save to what I have set it to. Every time I turn the device off then on again, the display reverts back to 720p when I've set it to 1080p, I wouldn't mind so much but this affects video playback in xbmc.

Other than those things, you couldn't ask for anything more for £47
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I really like this Keedox Android TV box - I paired it with one of my smaller Sony TVs and it's opened up a whole new world and encouraged me to experiment. The smart box looks and feels well made being finished in glossy black with a silver Android logo on it.

In the box you get the TV box, UK mains adaptor, remote control (which requires 2 AAA cells not supplied), composite video/audio cables (HDMI cable not supplied) and instructions. The TV box sports the following connections - AV composite, HDMI, optical, 2 USB sockets and an SD/MMC socket plus it has support for 802.11b/g/n wireless. It runs Android 4.2. and, of course, for many people the interface will be familiar because of their phone. There's also support for HD, DLNA and WiFi etc.

Setup was quite quick and this a device that you have to "tinker" with a bit to get the best out of it but then that's part of the attraction - the more I played with it, the more I found it could do. I've tested this box with internet TV and browsing, attaching an HDD, memory stick and SD card. Like any Android device you will be prompted to sign in to your Google account and you'll then be able to access the Play Shop and can "customise" your box.

I found start up a little slow and there's the occasional "hang" but overall this device works really well. Picture quality is good and with my setup it worked slightly better via Ethernet connection rather than wireless but both were ok. I viewed videos, still pictures from SD card plus streamed video from the Net without a hitch.

I think this box represents really good value for money, will transform your TV into a Smart TV and offers plenty of scope for creativity. I like it a lot.
on 25 May 2014
I am not quite sure what the purpose of this item is. The instruction manual is printed in micro format and is totally unreadable for anyone without 20/20 vision. There are no batteries supplied, which meant a hunt around the house to find some AAA batteries.

Worst of all, maybe I am naive but I really thought that my Kindle HDX would connect and play my content as would an apple TV. The item has been returned for a refund.

I think that Amazon's return system is great but what really is missing is a technical boffin that can be consulted prior to purchase of an item which would save me returning items that I hope will fulfil the intended task and I then fail miserably.

Also when I finally worked out that if I put one of my films - in .mp4 format - onto a SD card it would not play as it was the wrong
format. Strange as my .mp4 films play on my Kindle HDX.
on 15 May 2014
It seems that I get the Keedox box at it's sale price and what impresses me is that this box performs so awesome. I can now download the android app and XBMC also works great! After I read the XBMC instructions I contact seller for help and they give me the software to update. Everything works good now and I can enjoy everything on my smart TV now! I really love this box!
on 20 August 2014
Bad product
Does not perform well always crashing
Vendor not interested in refund
on 6 June 2014
I choose this box because the price is good refering to the configuration. Dual core CPU, 1GB/4GB enables the system to run smoothly. XBMC and HDMI also work well though I need to set it to 1080p each time. In all, I think it's a good item because it has been selling on Amazon for a long time until now. So I trust it and bought it.
on 8 October 2014
Pretty good, but I consider an external wireless keyboard to be absolutely necessary for practical use. The remote is fine for volume etc, but tricky for navigating the full android screen.
on 23 May 2014
This player is totally useless. It does not play movies smoothly, just stutters. Do not Purchase, Im sending back after 4 hours of frustration. Pay a bit more and get something that works.