Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

on 22 December 2015
Thank you Steven Wilson for introducing me to Nils Frahm. This album is a gorgeous blend of classical piano driven melodies with modern synthesizer twist. A few songs lean towards what would be considered electronic music ('Says' in particular), but the majority here consist of solo piano melodies. Thankfully there are no glitchy sounds or beats of this album and the electronics compliment the music perfectly. Nils Frahm gets round the problem of playing solo by utilizing loops to build magnificent song structures, and where percussion is needed, he simply bangs the piano.

I now own several of his other albums, but this (alongside the more organic and folky 'Wintermusik') remain my favourite. While it is technically a live album (and you can hear the audience cheer at the end of each song), there are many pieces of music exclusive to this release. Live versions of songs from 'Felt' (another great release) actually sound superior in my opinion and the sound quality is superb. I hope this music does not get dismissed as purely 'new age' or 'neoclassical', because the music is really quite accessible for an audience far outside either genres. I believe fans of post and progressive rock and ambient-electronica will find much to like here.
on 21 November 2013
Bought this after hearing "Says" on BBC 6 Music. While that is the most instantly likeable, stand out track the rest feels like stuff that I will grow to love as I hear it more. Delighted with it.
on 1 July 2014
To me, it was purely fortuitous to discover Nils Frahm as I was browsing through youtube. I then decided to search via allmusic and realized how good this LP was considered, so after listening to some excerpts, I decided to purchase the CD. From the first listening to the 10th or so in about a couple of weeks, I must say this is a purely musical masterpiece. This compilation of what may be considered as the best 'live' moments of the artists, is absolutely thrilling. Some tunes are just as touching as they are inspired. Others are mainly recongnisable by the skills of the artist ('Hammers'). The collection and variety of sounds is also remarkable in this CD. From beginning to end, a joy of a listen.
on 17 April 2014
This is one of my favorite albums of the last 12 months. Nils Frahm creates the most fantastic sound scapes; the energy changes with each track. I've even given this album as a present to a very picky music lover!
on 2 September 2014
The beauty and passion for minimal and new music is not only hearable but almost touchable on this record. It's independent form the mainstream but als part of a tradition. It let me associate with the Köln concert of Keith Jarrett.
on 17 August 2015
Purchased after hearing played in Fopp Tufton Street, on the basis of which I got four of his albums. Brilliant evocation of early Tangerine Dream, ambient Adams, ECM jazz and Nymanesque soundtracks, but insistently itself. This album will not permit itself to be background music.
on 16 October 2015
This is a really outstanding piece of live modern electronic classical music, I can't stop playing it !
Hauntingly beautiful in places and jarringly minimalistic in others this would be on my desert island for sure
on 1 February 2014
Most exciting album have heard in years. Spectral, haunting & uplifting in equal measure. Almost beyond classification: classical? Jazz? Ambient? Who cares. Simply entrancing.
on 17 September 2015
Love the album. Very refreshing to see this sort of music being in vogue. I just wish he would do more in the studio (personal taste by I don't like hearing the audience shuffling and coughing on my recordings)
on 21 December 2014
Brought this album after hearing Says on Mary Ann Hobbs 6music show.
It's been over a year since buying the album and it remains a regular on my stereo.