4.0 out of 5 stars He sings, it swings, he's a crook, with hooks!
Malkmus & The Jicks return with their sixth album, and maybe their sunniest effort to date.
Produced by the band, togheter with long-time Pavement sound engineer Remko Schouten,
"Wig Out at Jagbags" offers a lot to embrace and contain some of Malkmus's best pop songs
since his Pavement days.

Both "Lariat" and "Cinnamon and Lesbians" sound a bit...
Published 11 months ago by Hilton Royale

Published 10 months ago by TCH

4.0 out of 5 stars He sings, it swings, he's a crook, with hooks!, 9 Jan 2014
since his Pavement days.

Both "Lariat" and "Cinnamon and Lesbians" sound a bit like Pavement around "Brighten the corners"
and both are ridiculously infectious, the same goes for "Houston Hades" and "J Smoov" .
Beck produced "Mirror Traffic", the preceding album, and maybe I'm mistaken, but to me it sounds like
"J Smoov" comes with a heavy Beck Hansen soul imprint. In any case, it's a beautiful song.
I think all of his earlier albums have been a bit hit or miss, but on Wig Out the hits are plenty
and the misses very few. "Surreal teenagers" and "Shibboleth" are the only songs I don't like too much.

As usual he comes up with quite a few great lines: "Come slam-dancing with some ancient dudes,
we are returning, returning to our roots, no new material, just cowboy boots".
He's always been great with songtitles and lyrics, one of the wittiest around, and according to Malkmus
he also had "Morrissey's Trainwrecked Daughter", "New Yoga for Cleavage Hounds", "Chocolate Euros"
and "Swingers Blowing Freddie" as potential album titles. He he!

Wig Out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jig Pout Love Gladrags, 5 Sep 2014
This review is from: Wig Out At Jagbags (Audio CD)
I'll be honest - until a few weeks ago, I had never heard of Stephen Malkmus, The Jicks or Pavement (except the kind you walk on when you're shopping on the high street) - and I certainly had very little idea as to what 'Jagbags' meant (I still don't, to be honest). Add to that a general apathy when it comes to being bothered to write reviews on Amazon, and it is all the more incredible that I have taken the time to post this today. Why have I done so? Simple. It's because Wig Out At Jagbags is a most marvellous record; one which deserves to be heard by a very great many people. One that should - if there was any justice and Simon Cowell pop clones didn't rule the world - sit atop the hit parade for week upon week upon all-conquering week.

That's if there was any justice. As it is, there isn't much justice and this wonderful album seems to have been met (on Amazon at least) with a decidedly average response. Which, quite frankly, is a terrible crime, and an absolute affront to beautiful tunes, fantastic musicianship and mind-boggling lyricism.

I could review this record track by track but that would probably be tedious both for you (imaginary reader) and me. Suffice to say, every track is a triumph; a kaleidoscopic cornucopia of tuneful wonderment and magic that will fill your ears (not to mention your heart and your brain) with beauty, joy, happiness and general, all-round nice feelings.

Ignore the crazy 1 star review you will find on here. This confused individual hasn't even heard the record the whole way through (and yet still feels they have the right to award the lowest rating possible). Let us have no trolling. Instead, let us have 'LOLling' to the mighty majesty of Malkmus and his captivating cohorts. This album is 5 stars all the way, baby. It will delight you, enthral you, please you, thrill you... it will carry your very soul away to a place where there is only the sweetest of sounds.

I urge any and all: listen to this album. Buy this album. Enjoy this album. Be lifted by this album. For people like S. Malkmus are a gift from the gods of the crotchet and the quaver, and their infectious brilliance is gone all too soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Consider Me Well & Truly Wigged, 13 Feb 2014
Ianham "Ianham" (Ross-shire, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Wig Out At Jagbags (Audio CD)
Sound investment for all, barring those who "just don't get it".

For those uninitiated, Stephen has a voice that approximates a tune - rather than hitting the correct notes he fires for the right ones. His songwriting balances between off-kilter folk/psych/prog (small p) and lo-fi indie. On several tunes however he does successfully morph into The Grateful Dead playing "Loaded" (Velvet Underground) - "Cinnamon & Lesbians" is for example, first cousin to the Dead's "St Stephen". This is no bad thing!

"Surreal Teenagers" also manages to include the word "Tesseract" - no mean feat. The lyrics are a cut above most and have the added bonus of bringing a smile to my face - (this is a good thing , since I can be a miserable B....)

"J Smoov" gets an added bonus star for including what I believe to be a trombone solo. This is really good in the confines of your car as you are inevitably tempted to accompany it on mouth trumpet. (no sexual connotations , please).

This is a CD of rare beauty and my favourite of 2014 ..so far. I suspect it will remain so.

I commend this CD to the house.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very pop!, 14 Mar 2014
This review is from: Wig Out At Jagbags (Audio CD)
The genius we like to call Malkmus has made it again. Exceeded expectations by transforming into a pop-star.
The most openly pop S.M-album made since Brighten The Corners.
Let's hope he continues his journey for years to come. We deserve it.

5.0 out of 5 stars More great music from S.M. and friends, 9 Dec 2014
C. Willis (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wig Out At Jagbags (Audio CD)
Proving that his musical chops have, if anything, continued to increase since his time as the lead singer of Pavement, Stephen Malkmus and the rest of the Jicks- all experienced musicians from notable bands- have released yet more fun, cleverly-constructed music for fans and new listeners alike to enjoy. The refinement in song-writing and musicianship, distilling each track down into its essential elements but not leaving them feeling stripped-down, speaks well of Malkmus's idiosyncratic and original approach.

5.0 out of 5 stars Slacker Genius on top form, 30 Jan 2014
This review is from: Wig Out At Jagbags (Audio CD)
Fabulous indie guitar pop showing lots of different influences, Steely Dan, Pixies. Stand out Tracks for me are Larriat and Houston Hades,

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 14 Sep 2014
This review is from: Wig Out At Jagbags (Audio CD)
Item as described, prompt delivery.

3.0 out of 5 stars Underwhelming tossed off album from the 90's slacker god-head......., 1 Feb 2014
TCH (Cambs, UK.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Wig Out At Jagbags (Audio CD)
On a first listen I thought, "Christ, Malkmus isn't even pretending to try on this one". On repeat listening things aren't quite as bad as that first impression but not much better, I'd say this might well be the worst solo/Jicks album Malkmus has come up with yet simply because it feels so tossed off with the usual self-conscious, mannered, smart alec-y lyrics (which I've always had issues with since they reek of smug superiority to me) but instead of the usual compensations for his lyrical misadventures [ie. strong tunes] Malkmus hasn't come up with much in the way of memorable music (melodies, riffs, guitar solos, arrangements, etc). I know quite a few reviewers had issues with the Beck produced "Mirror Traffic" but that was a near masterpiece compared to this. All bar two songs are less than 5-minutes with only the occasional flashes of Malkmus' brilliant psych/prog/post-punk/alternarock hybrid guitar playing and he hasn't filled this (huge) gap with memorable tunes to compensate with everything sounding so...... generic yet somehow also half-formed. There are admittedly a trio of strong songs ('Lariat', 'Cinnamon & Lesbians' & 'Shibboleth') but not nearly enough and these are offset by some real clunkers ('Rumble At The Rainbo' [my God this one irks me in it's assumed 'cleverness'], 'Chartjunk' with its sloppy horn arrangement; Van Morrison it certainly ain't, and the Pavement by-numbers 'Scattegories' and the less said about the banal 'Surreal Teenagers' the better).

Malkmus has recently relocated to Berlin, perhaps this has contributed to a loss of direction? I don't know what it is but I reckon the large amount of good-will accumulated from his Pavement days that he has been trading on for over a decade now will rapidly diminish if he doesn't regain his focus, especially after the cynical cash-grab Pavement live reformation of a few years ago (where it was clear Malkmus' heart wasn't in it). One or two more albums like this half-hearted effort and I think that will be it for his solo career (which will prompt another Pavement reformation no doubt..... sigh).

1.0 out of 5 stars I DON'T GET IT!!!, 8 Feb 2014
This review is from: Wig Out At Jagbags (Audio CD)
Every so often an artist comes along that makes me go 'Huuuuuuuh? What am I missing here?!?'.
Steven Malkmus is one of those artists.
Granted, he receives nothing but glowing reviews, full page ads for his albums, interviews in music mags from Mojo to Rolling Stone but I still don't get it.
I hear no great songs, no captivating voice, no interesting music, but apparently, I'm in the minority.
The last artist that befuddled me like this was John Grant.
I succumbed to a year's worth of accolades showered on his first album and finally bought it.
It was OK, but 'groundbreaking' and 'album of the year'?
Sorry. Didn't hear that coming from my speakers.
I even went and bought his second album, thinking it just has to be me.
Liked that one even less.
I thought about getting this SM and The Js album.
I listened to several tracks online and wasn't particularly impressed.
Then I saw them play live on Jimmy Fallon's US talk show.
They were terrible - weak frontman, amateurish playing, out of tune - and I held on to my money.
I'm sure there will be a few disparaging comments left here, but it won't really matter how many times you type the word 'idiot' or whatever insults you tend to throw when someone doesn't share your opinion.
I simply don't get it.
And I'm not convinced that many of the ones who say they do, really do.

Wig Out At Jagbags
Wig Out At Jagbags by Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks (Audio CD - 2014)