5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating novel, 10 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Perfect Capital (Paperback)
Having mainly read historical biographies over the last few years, this book has reignited my enthusiasm for reading modern novels. The intriguing cover and binding led me to pick up the book initially and then the succinct and interesting outline of it's story made me go on to buy it. It's a more unusual take on the start, and then fairly jagged continuation, of a love affair between two very different main characters; Edward and Maud. Setting the story around Maud's quest to perfect the art of lettercutting means that this story continues throughout at just the right pace - moving between being a highly readable and at times fairly naughty piece of fiction, and a well-researched,accurate and informative read about work by the great typographer Eric Gill (along with intermittent illustrations and original photographs). I am now really looking forward to reading this new author's next novel and hope it will have an equally unique theme around it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Perfect Capital, 2 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Perfect Capital (Paperback)
The deceased typographer Eric Gill's engraving work provides the intriguing backdrop to this beautifully crafted, perceptive page turner. It is an often racy, modern love story of two opposites. I indulged myself with a free Saturday to find out what was going to happen to Maud and Edward, both in differing ways damaged by life. I was certainly not disappointed. The Perfect Capital is a brillant read. The end of a good novel is a double edged sword, where one has the thrill of being immersed in a story and then the sense of loss when it has ended. The author has achieved this with aplomb. Bravo Karen Healey Wallace

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfexmct read, 1 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Perfect Capital (Kindle Edition)
I can't believe this is a first novel by a new author. I read lots, and this is certainly 'up there' with the quality of established authors, authors who have best sellers.

Well Done! Karen. I'm looking forward to reading more of your work. X

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 20 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Perfect Capital (Paperback)
This is a truly wonderful modern day love story. A great debut fiction novel from a talented author! Definitely recommend to all!

5.0 out of 5 stars Page Turner, 24 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Perfect Capital (Paperback)
Beautifully written with great observations and humour. The characters are believable and their romance fascinating and saucy! The author has clearly researched the typographer Eric Gill in depth and I look forward to her next novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it!, 20 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Perfect Capital (Paperback)
I thought this was an absolutely fantastic read. Healey Wallace spins a refreshingly original plot and characters you love and hate at the same time. Edward is thoroughly awful, yet I found myself cheering for him the whole way through. And more than a love story between two people, it is a love story to my own adopted home city of London, and those like Eric Gill who have loved her before me. I found myself at Holy Trinity yesterday and thought just how well Healey Wallace had captured its essence. I'm so glad it came out when it did - it's going straight on my Christmas gift lists!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great debut novel!, 17 Nov 2013
S. Favell "558Housekeeper" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Perfect Capital (Kindle Edition)
An interesting and soul searching debut novel from this talented new author. A love story with a fascinating theme of Eric Gill typography. I really warmed to the characters. Ms Healey Wallace spins a ripping good yarn. I look forward to more from her.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eric Gill's letter cutting as a character in a novel about love in London, 11 Dec 2013
J. Cribb - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Perfect Capital (Paperback)
A well told first novel, with a sensitive portrayal of loss and of the magic of letter cutting, focussed around the heroine's love of Eric Gill's skill as a letter cutter, as shown through his work scattered round London. Romantic encounters follow the heroine's journey through London's Gill pilgrimage sites. An excellent read, I couldn't put it down (apart from getting some sleep) till I got to the end.

The Perfect Capital