5.0 out of 5 stars Destined To Defy
This series must be read in order with the exception of the prequel This Place is Death (A Curse Keepers Secret) which can be read any time but I'd personally wait until after the first book to prevent spoilers. The first book is The Curse Keepers (Curse Keepers Series, Book 1). This is the second book.

No matter where Ellie looks all she sees is chaos and...
Published 2 months ago by Nocturnus

Bought books 1 and 2 together as they sounded just the type of book I like for an easy quick read. The writing is really poor and the story repetitive and soooooo long winded. I know its fantasy but even for that genre it becomes just too silly and impossible to make any sense of. Don't waste your money.......
Published 8 days ago by greyparry

5.0 out of 5 stars Destined To Defy, 19 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Curse Breakers (Curse Keepers Series Book 2) (Kindle Edition)

No matter where Ellie looks all she sees is chaos and entrapment...or death and sadness. Why did the Curse have to turn out to be real!? And on top of that why had Collin betrayed her so completely? Beset from all sides by gods and spirits... thugs and police officers Ellie is quickly running out of time to make her choice. She could do as Collin did and side with Okeus ( but she really doesn't see that as an option as there Must be duality and Ahone already claimed her ) or dedicate herself to Ahone who took her father as sacrifice to close the gate to Popogusso. Either way it seems to Ellie she is pretty much screwed...Being a pawn in the war between the gods is just not what she signed up for. How will she protect herself long enough to choose a side? Does she even HAVE a choice with her soul bound to Collin's? Where are her dad's notes? What really happened to her mother? No matter what happens Ellie sure isn't gonna let anyone else make her choices for her!

This book was better than the last and that is saying something! Packed full of intrigue and mystery the action is almost nonstop. The suspense is only overshadowed by the thiller nature of the adventures Ellie is an unwilling participant in. The original romance of this series shows how warped people can become by their own desires for power and the easy way out. I can not wait for the next book The Curse Defiers (Curse Keepers Series, Book 3)!

***This series is suitable for adult readers

5.0 out of 5 stars Words don't do it justice, 1 May 2014
The Curse Keepers have guarded the barrier between realms for hundreds of years, but the day that Ellie met Collin everything changed. The prophecy demanded they defend the world from evil, even as it ignited a passion that threatened to consume them. Ellie now faces a new life, a frightening new life. Abandoned by the man she loves, and tormented by malevolent spirits unleashing their vengeance upon the Earth. Claiming the mark of the God Ahone as her own is the only thing that can protect her and humanity from the demons. But in order to find it, she will have to trust Dr. David Preston, a handsome professor of Native American studies, whose skepticism is surpassed only by his attraction to Ellie. Together they must finish what the Keepers started, defying the forces of darkness to unlock hell on Earth and unlock the truth about Ellie, and her destiny.

As soon as I finished reading The Curse Keepers, the wait for this book seemed incredibly long and impossible. I needed the second book right that SECOND. I couldn't possibly wait months for the next one! I had to know what happened next right NOW!

Imagine the scene when I woke up one grey and dismal morning to an email, offering me the opportunity to grab an ARC of The Curse Breakers, the sequel I had been hotly anticipating. Well let's just say there was some squealing and jumping and then an agonizing wait to have my request sent, where I was checking every single day, but finally it was there, and it was ready to read. I got stuck in right away, and I didn't stop until a few hours later when the book was, unfortunately, over.

How I loved delving back in to the rich mythology present in this book, I nearly wept with happiness. I just love what the author has created, the world she has created, and it's a world you can sink back in to, with characters that are like seeing old friends after a summer apart.

The author created characters in the first book that you grow to love, you appreciate all the little things about them that make them imperfect. You wish you where as strong as Ellie, that you could be just like her. In Breakers, the characters continue to be written with depth. New characters introduced for example, are written with as much care, depth and imagination as the main characters already present from the first book.

In Breakers, Ellie has such bad luck, it's so easy to relate to her. We've all had that moment in our lives when nothing is going right for us, and we just need that one thing to go right, I'm having that moment right now, but regardless of that you can't help but relate and feel connected to Ellie. You really get behind her, and root for her. I may have screeched "OH COME ON" more than once, can't lie!

One of the new characters we see is David. Who is British. Many of you will know my intense hatred for those authors that just decide to bung in a British character, and have them spout certain words and be incredibly over the top with it, or constantly think, talk about and drink tea OR the classic when the British character utters words and phrases no British person would ever actually say, and so you basically end up with a character that any actual British person would not allow within 10 feet of them and would punch in the face quite happily because they're full of stereotypes.

Oh Denise. I think I may love you. Denise is the first author to not do any of the above. He was perfect. He was written just right. So right that I could actually kiss the author for writing a British character that's exactly like every other regular British person. Thank you. So much. You don't even know.

The other reason I love this series is how the author shuns insta-love. In Keepers we watched a relationship gradually develop with Collin. In Breakers we watch a friendship grow between Ellie and David, and well, you'll just have to see if anything romantic happens now, won't you? *evil laugh* Nothing makes me all warm and fuzzy like the perfectly written relationships, friendship or romantic, that Denise so excels at.

As I said previously, I love the mythology the author weaves in to the book, and the two books are so original to the genre that seems to revolve around vampires aaalll the time. I'm a history geek. You all know it. I know it. So I love how Breakers continued with this fascinating history being woven into it, along with a mythology I know next to nothing about, and so was eager to find out more. History and mythology are so expertly woven by Denise in to a story, along with romance and mystery and such, to create a book you don't want to put down and that you want to read again and again.

Denise is an expert at taking multiple genre's and weaving the threads of them all together in to an incredible plot, and Breakers is no exception, there where so many mysteries going on, I got my Sherlock Holmes on, and I still failed to work out any of them or see any plot twists coming.

In Breakers everything is starting to come together, a certain murder, a certain deal and that pesky curse for starters, not to mention what the Gods are playing at. Now this may seem overwhelming, but the author is so skilled with the written word that it's incredibly engaging, engrossing and well....you try and beat the author and work out what's going on, but you fail miserably, which for me added a fun element.

Questions, questions, so many questions. If you think you aren't gonna be left with a tonne more when you're done reading Breakers then you're so wrong. If you don't highly anticipate this, and spend the time when you're done reading coming up with your own theories, then this book isn't for you. Of course, I already know my theory is incorrect, because Denise is not predictable in any way, shape or form, she will surprise me, and she will blow everything out the water, and I can't wait. I love it.

The Curse Breakers is one of those times when a sequel blows the first book out of the water. We have all the history, mystery, mythology, romance, and drama that we loved from the first book, all woven in to a plot line that thickens and throws up more intrigue. I can't get over how much I love these books, they're so original. The Curse Breakers just can't be put down. It really can't. Try. I dare you.

The Curse Breakers seamlessly extends the world and plot line from Keepers, with all the finesse and imagination of the first book. You delve straight back in to the world and it's like you never left. The characters and the story are just as engaging, just as full of depth.

The only bad thing about this book is the agonizing wait until the next book, but what can you do? The time will fly by..........right?!

5.0 out of 5 stars Curse breakers, 15 Jun 2014
Very enjoyable loved script compelling could not put books down. Look forward to reading more of Denise Grover Swanks books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book to read, 11 Jun 2014
Great book to read. Totally taken in by the story line, couldn't stop reading. Looking forward to the next book 😊

1.0 out of 5 stars ... as they sounded just the type of book I like for an easy quick read, 14 Aug 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 12 July 2014
Not finished this book yet but will keep reading.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay..., 30 Jun 2014
I received a free ebook copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The Curse Breakers is book 2 in The Curse Keepers series. The story continues on from after Ellie and Collin open the gate to Hell and let loose the demons. But now Ellie needs to find a way to get rid of these demons for good and can't trust Collin after what happened with the gate. So Ellie goes on to look for someone who has more knowledge on Native American History, enter Dr David Preston, a young Native American Professor... However, some demons are after Ellie as they don't want Okeus to get to her and user her for what he wants, and to taunt her they kill various animals and eat their hearts! This leads Sheriff Tom to constantly question Ellie as he thinks that the deaths from when the Lost Colony was found and the animals without the hearts are in some way linked to her...

I didn't enjoy this book as much as the first as a lot of the story from the first book was mostly being repeated. However, I did come to like David very much, him being a History professor from England and all. Now I am wondering whether Ellie should trust Ahone...

I am thankful to 47North and Netgalley for providing me with this copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars buddie, 30 May 2014
love these books waiting for the next one (if there is a next one) can't put it down. really gripping.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 30 May 2014
One of those bookd that you just have to keep reading, the follow on book was just as good too

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT GREAT SERIES, 26 May 2014
Ms. A. Hales ""Sid"" (Norfolk, England) - See all my reviews
GOT THIS FROM AMAZON PRIME LIBRARY.
READ IT IN A DAY, COULDNT PUT IT DOWN. DENISE SURE KNOWS HOW TO KEEP YOU AND PULL YOU INTO THE BOOK.
TOTALLY AND UTTERLY BRILLIANT, CAN'T WAIT FOR THE NEXT ONE