4.0 out of 5 stars would recommend
I was warned that this book might be slightly absurd.

I have to say the assessment was spot on.

However, Karen MacInerney serves absurd with a very satisfying side of `I'll have another slice of that, thank you very much.'

Published on 31 July 2012 by Julie B

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit feeble
Published 14 months ago by KittyG26

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit feeble, 27 April 2014
This review is from: Mother's Day Out (A Margie Peterson Mystery Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Walking train wreck Margie Peterson becomes a private investigator, despite having the organisational skills of a lobotomised chicken. Ignoring her filthy house, the "chubby" Margie palms her kids off on her friends so she can go out sleuthing. Although so dim she couldn't spot a clue if it hit her in the face, and in spite of encountering a ridiculous number of (not very funny) minor mishaps and accidents, she manages to solve the case(s).

In other words, a (very) light detective thriller, catering to the lowest common denominator. Make a reasonable holiday read if you really don't have anything else available.

4.0 out of 5 stars would recommend, 31 July 2012
I was warned that this book might be slightly absurd.

I have to say the assessment was spot on.

What can I say about Mother's Day Out? Dude, I don't even know where to start. I mean from this opening ...

After seven years of chiselling away at the petrified contents of Tupperware containers, wiping a variety of organic substances off of two small children, and cleaning up after an incontinent Siamese cat, I thought I could stomach anything.

I was wrong.

... to learning the MC--Margie--had recently started a new (and utterly absurd) job of P.I., to witnessing the boshup of the first job, and then being called to The Rainbow room ...

I'll stop there otherwise I'll end up detailing the entire book to you, and, man, there was so much, I doubt I'd remember to list it all.

Just know that this is one excellently woven together book. Sure there were a couple bits I saw coming when Marge didn't (or refused to), and sure there were a couple of predictable moments--but who cares?

From the get go, this book had me laughing out loud, snorting on my drinks, tittering like I'd had one too many ports, and neighing like a horse--all before I started to feel Marge's pain and followed her down a path no wife should ever have to stumble down ... and before I knew it this book was making me cry.

All I can say is the connection I felt to this character--for me to go from one end of the spectrum of emotion to the other--was nothing short of awesome.

If you love a mystery with the most unlikeliest P.I. EVER, who almost seems to fluke her way through every single discovery she makes and who joins the dots to figure stuff with all the smoothness of an Etch-o-Sketch, and with enough snort-worthy moments to have the family looking up and wanting to know what's tickled your fancy ... then, yeah, pay Margie Peterson a visit. You will not be disappointed.

In fact, the only teensy reason this didn't rate the full 5 was because of the abovementioned predictions I made, and because there were (a very small scattering of) typos (which didn't detract from my enjoyment of the read).

Would I recommend this? For sure!

(review of a copy received in exchange for an honest review)

5.0 out of 5 stars Cozy mommy mystery, 11 May 2014
Fast paced plot, good characters. Keeps you guessing. A bit like Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum if she was married and had children.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mothers day out, 11 May 2014
I really enjoyed reading this book it was well written
humorous ..likeable down to earth characters good plot a good read

3.0 out of 5 stars Mothers day out, 9 Jun. 2014
Different, refreshing, exciting..... see for yourselves. I didn't see that coming. Will leave you guessing all the way. Highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book,great characters,great writing., 8 Jun. 2014
The characters are fun,interesting and likeable.The heroine who is a busy slightly overweight mum of two finds herself working as a private detective and tackling a variety of cases including a murder ,some of which are a bit too close to home.While investigating she finds herself in some strange and amusing situations.The plotline is intriguing and never dull and the humour and humanity in the book are first rate.I would recommend this novel and hope the author extends it to a series as I'd love to see more of these characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars A GREAT READ., 9 May 2014
This was the first "Margie Peterson" book I've read, but it won't be the last. It was ingenious and amusing, can't wait to start reading another.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wow of a fun ride, 24 April 2014
I have to admit I was a bit dubious when I first started this book. It isn't a sloppy romance thank goodness. I think we are all old enough now to know that the handsome hunks in romances are going to be self absorbed and needy. Margie was very ditzy and a little tiresome at first. But then the story got going and it turned out to be really very good and kept me gripped right to the end. Well done.

4.0 out of 5 stars light hearted and easy to read, 15 Jun. 2014
This isn't high literature but its good fun, despite some difficult topics. I have already stocked up on books by this author!

4.0 out of 5 stars A good afternoon read., 1 May 2014
TinTiger (ISLE OF Wight) - See all my reviews
This was a very good little mystery and I enjoyed it greatly. It was a bit like the "murder, she wrote" tv series in book form but written better. I will certainly read her other books.