4.0 out of 5 stars I Loved Love Letters
Love Letters is the fourth studio album from Joseph Mount and his Metronomy collective.

This album has been hotly anticipated, riding on the back of 2011's Mercury nominated The English Riviera. I myself have been eagerly awaiting this release; my expectations heightened by the fantastic single 'I'm Aquarius'.

After my first listen of the album I...
Published 9 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars "english riviera 2", a big departure from "nights out"
i agree with others who have labelled this a bit of a B side sounding effort - some of these tracks sound like demos that didn't quite make the cut for the english riviera - interesting-ish, but not that many are quirky or catchy, not even matching "corinne" or "everything goes my way" - there are none i would want to play to my mates and proudly say...
Published 9 months ago by Duncan F. Mcculloch

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars I Loved Love Letters, 11 Mar 2014
Amazon Customer (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Love Letters (Audio CD)

After my first listen of the album I decided to browse through a collection of critic reviews. I was pretty astounded at some of the comments that ranged from 'dull' to 'uninteresting' - most reviews claimed a pretentious aura that follows Mount and the lack of delivery in this album. I wasn't aware that the band split opinion so much and I was certainly not aware that this was a bad album from my first listen.

Since last night I have now listened to the album three more times. Not because I was trying to figure it out, but simply because I really really enjoyed it. Apart from perhaps the instrumental failure of the strangely minimal/kraftwerk 'Boy Racers' all the tracks possess a quality and feeling that I can indulge in. I actually loved this album and I'm starting to wonder what exactly people expect a band to produce these days? I may agree it's not as good as their last but it still stands up as a really pleasurable listen. Reminiscent of Supertramp or Motown, Metronomy dive into the 60s but there still remains the heartfelt longing and quirky undertone that fans will still adore.

The empty synthetic drumbeats intend to push the focus onto Mount's lyrics which are often left wanting and are not too advanced. For a lot of people this seems to be a real let down, but for me I don't particularly mind if the music sounds great. For music I would prefer it this way round than the other! And actually I quite like the nostalgic 'love letters' theme that pines for a romance of times gone - when you think about it this way the classic 60s music influence makes a lot more sense and sounds right.

Listen to: 'The Upsetter', 'I'm Aquarius', 'Month of Sundays', 'Call Me', 'Never Wanted'

4.0 out of 5 stars Still at the seaside, 13 Mar 2014
This review is from: Love Letters (Audio CD)
If the English Riviera was the haunting sound of a grand, derelict, seaside dance hall, then Love Letters is the sound of the seaside resort's amusement arcades - all fizzy pop and beeps. Reservoir is the best track.

Loving the auto-rip facility from Amazon - takes all the hassle out of CD rips. Thanks

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitley grows on you after a few listens., 18 May 2014
This review is from: Love Letters (Audio CD)
You might not like it straight away, especially if you haven't heard much of Metronomy's stuff from beforehand (I only knew a couple of songs), but it's definitely a really varied album that's great for summer. Plus, I went to see in Leeds and they were really great live, really seemed like they were having fun and complemented each other really well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Pop Music, 31 May 2014
Mr. Jorge Garcia (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love Letters [VINYL] (Vinyl)
This is a great album and the vinyl edition is just fantastic. The album was recorded analogue and it shows. The vinyl sounds beautifully warm and open. Excellent pressing. It also comes with a CD of the album. Very good synth pop with some 60's throwbacks. One of the best releases of the year.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real grower, 16 Mar 2014
This review is from: Love Letters (Audio CD)
After the first listen, you could be forgiven for feeling slightly underwhelmed with this album, but after that the songs stick in your brain and you end up loving this album. Different from anything they've done before, and still awesome!

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Electro-Pop, 4 Jun 2014
This review is from: Love Letters (Audio CD)
Metronomy have been gathering momentum for a number of years; and with great acclaim for some of their previous albums, their latest release Love Letters should get some music buyers attention for their range of work.

Whilst the album is solid electro-pop, some tracks fare better over others, including the lovely Monstrous, and the excellent piece of disco that is Boy Racers. Some of the tracks do test their patience with you, such as the overtly repetitive Reservoir, as the listener. So whether you are a fan of electro-pop, or not, there should be something for you to enjoy.

Love Letters may not make the strongest impression on you, as the listener, but does provide you with enough substance to either check out the rest of Metronomy's back catalogue, or go find something more to your liking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great band!, 31 May 2014
This review is from: Love Letters (Audio CD)
Great band & CD! I like the CD a lot. I bought it for my husband as a Christmas gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 10 May 2014
This review is from: Love Letters (Audio CD)
I love this quirky CD. The lyrics and tunes are so good. I am playing it over and over in my car.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Love Letters, 9 May 2014
This review is from: Love Letters (Audio CD)
I was excited to see their new album coincide with their current tour. Saw them in Bristol and had purchased the album on its release date. Needless to say the album and the gig (in Bristol) were amazing!

4.0 out of 5 stars 4 Stars!, 1 May 2014
This review is from: Love Letters (MP3 Download)
Put off buying this for awhile as I felt it wasn't as good as English Riviera which was an easy 5 stars,maybe because of this I gave 4 Stars for Love letters,some strong tracks but not as strong as previous CD

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Love Letters
Love Letters by Metronomy (Audio CD - 2014)