Size: Mobile PhoneColour Name: WhiteChange

Whilst waiting for my upgrade to come round, i had a period of two months without a smartphone. I figured i'd want to pay for something i'd keep on using!

Bought this, and even now with a smartphone i divert all my calls through to this. It's fantastic as a portable bluetooth speaker (albeit low quality) but if you need music whilst on the beach with friends, does the job fantastically.
on 16 July 2014
Had an original of this over 20 years ago
Those were the days !
Does exactly what it says
Better than the original
Amazing battery life
Best on bluetooth to your own phone
A steal at £30 for a bit of fun
on 12 December 2013
I have an iphone 5 and yes its amazing and yes it does everything bar wash the dishes, but this Retro phone is just fantastic! It takes me back to the time that you could clamp a phone to your ear with your shoulder.

Its battery lasts for days, it gets a great signal, its surprisingly light for its shape and size. The very best bit though, is that i actually feel im using a phone and not just talking into a small slab of very expensive plastic.

Get one as a second phone or just for wont regret it!
on 28 September 2015
To start off with the positives: First of all the battery life is excellent, it can be charged up to a quarter bar and be left alone for four days straight and will still have the same amount of charge left. It has quirky entertaining features like an FM Radio which is of a good standard and a loud speaker with sufficient sound quality - With a Micro SD card you can also listen to music that you have uploaded so it's practically an MP3 player but there isn't a head phone socket available and strangely enough the sound quality on the loud speaker is a lot better when using the FM Radio when compared to listening to uploaded music files, you can also upload photos if that's any worth mentioning. There is a torch but it is of poor quality and the phone could do without it.

Writing SMS messages is very old school, there isn't any predictive texting which is something that I personally don't mind at all. There is one game on the phone and it's the generic classic 'Snake' - There aren't any others and as far as I know you cannot download more for your phone. My experience with the signal quality has been terrible so far but going by the general consensus this probably has something more to do with my SIM card than internal issues rife within the phone itself - My main and sole problem with the Binatone Brick Phone is that it doesn't pull off the look of those 1980's DynaTAC Cell Phones very well at all, by which I mean if you think that you're going to get a phone that even remotely resembles that of Patrick Bateman's or Zack Morris's then forget about it.

It shares a far stronger resemblance with that of a house telephone, it honestly really looks like you're carrying a large wireless house phone with you when in public. It looks too modern and doesn't pull off the 1980's look well at all in my opinion - Furthermore the Binatone logo on both the front speaker and the back is placed in a crown shape which comes across as cheap and the antenna is plastic and looks like a blatant gimmick.

The main objective for buying this phone was to get that retro look but the Binatone Brick Phone at least in my opinion has failed to accomplish that, overall quite disappointing.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 July 2015
Brilliant phone. Have put my Sainsbury's sim in it and works well. Nice to hold & nice and light. Yes it is large at 275mm including antenna but that does not matter to me as I usually wear cargo trousers and the phone fits the pockets on these no problem. Phone has good signal, good loud and clear quality sound during calls. Good loud ring tones and loud message alerts. Good battery so far. Fun to test my skills with its only game Snake. Calculator good. Radio is clear and loud but not stereo hd quality and picks up lots of fm stations. Cannot comment on Blue tooth as I will not need to use it. Screen is colour and you can see it quite well outside in sunlight provided you turn the brightness setting up high. Would like to have seen the antenna made of rubber as in a rubber duck antenna as the phone's antenna is sturdy-ish plastic and could be venerable to getting snapped off if you catch it hard on something but i'm not going to mark it down for this as it is a good phone. For the money I paid I think it is a bargain and you can't go wrong if you like me like the old retro 80's- 90's and phones with simple features that is a breath of fresh air to use compared to modern smart phones with rubbish batteries that are a waist of time for your brain and sanity. It's good to just turn the brick on for 9 hours a day, make some calls and not have to wet nurse it. I certainly get noticed walking about with it and when I'm having a pint down the local everyone asks about it and has to pick it up with a smile on their faces and have a go. I sense they are yearning for times gone by. They want one.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Top marks for looks and it's very light weight. SD card is now filled wth music but down side is it sorts the music in to not long list of tracks so don't worry about putting them in folders. One thing I WANT to know is what is the default security code?? I can't change the pin unless I know the old one which isn't in the manuel! Bar that it's clear and great fun a must buy for a retro collector or fashion user. 10 stars.
on 6 March 2014
I am a big fan of retro stuff, and when my Siemens P1 luggable gsm (1992!) finally passed away, the Binatone Brick was a good replacement. The phone has very good audio quality, boots up in seconds and has a no frills user interface. The standard battery lasts for 2 weeks on average, I am waiting for the XXL battery. It would be nice when the phone would have a retro lcd monochrome display, then it would be really great. For now the Brick is only available in white, it would be nice to have other colour options (black for instance). Using the Brick is fun!
on 10 July 2015
In my efforts not to repeat what others have said, i'll keep this short. This is quite possibly the best 'old boy's toy' I've ever bought! I'm actually old enough to remember the original & this is a very good replica (with a modern twist) The phone is very light & I personally would prefer it to be much heavier........more like the Motorola originals. Part of the reason it's much lighter is that battery technology has moved on. The old ni-cad batteries where big, heavy & for the most part useless!.

I have made a discovery in the short time I've had this & I hope it helps all those looking for a replacement or higher capacity battery. The battery used in The Brick is an exact copy of the old BL-5C 3.7volt 1020mAh job that was originally supplied various Nokia models. Any cell labelled BL-5C will work (including cheap 3rd party ones)......, I know this as I'm using one now!

These put a big stupid grin on your face & are worth the ridiculous low cost for that alone........enjoy one while you can!
on 3 April 2014
Yep, I am the man, pulled this baby out at the gym, and all the muscle Mary's were miring me, strutting around Like Gordon Gecko after a buy out of a small company, Blue Horseshoe loves Anacott Steel !!!

torch, snake, Bluetooth to smartphone, radio, what more do you want?

just get it, you wont regret it.
on 26 November 2014
A superb looking Phone that was very easy to set up and very easy to use. I have not called anybody (i never do) but i love texting and it's easy with predictive text (like my Nokia). It's nothing like a smartphone, good job, can't stand them...