on 26 December 2013
Having owned an original piano black 60gb ps3, I was not sure whether to upgrade to a ps4 this Xmas as my old ps3 broke about a year ago... Instead I decided to get this pack and buy all the EDGE magazines 10/10 reviewed games. ( cheap off eBay) it's was a great decision. For starters this console is so much quieter than the original which was like a harrier jump jet taking off! The last of us game is fantastic, and to be included for £200 is a bargain. My next eBay purchase will be a logitech gran trurismo steering wheel to use with GT 6. Of course I've bought rock band 3 with all the kit, dark souls, bayonetta, red dead redemption & super street fighter 4. All that for cheaper than a ps4. Once ps4 has a few edge 10 scores I will move across...until then I'm v happy with old school gaming :)
on 6 February 2014
Got this bundle at £199 from Amazon so was a great offer at the time. May have had second thoughts at £260, but knowing what I know now would still go for it. That said I have no problem with the machine or its capabilities. As a more mature Video game player :-) I was looking for something that would negate the problems with PC games demanding ever more powerfull video/graphics cards in order to play the game without lag or video frame rate problems. The PS3 seemed the obvious choice what with the recent release of the PS4 hopefully making the PS3 a more financially attractive proposition. The other thing that I wanted to avoid were the fees associated with Xbox online. The device is very small and compact. Disc loading mechanism is a bit dated, but don't let over critical comments about this small detail put you off. The two games that come in the package are top rated, so you will be quids in just considering the current prices of these alone. Back catalogue of games is exhaustive with new games on the horizon for 2014. Very pleased with the whole package and would highly recommend.
on 14 January 2014
I picked this up so I could play those Sony exclusive games that I had missed out on. One of which was included The Last Of Us. For the price when bought £199 it was a steal, a good entertainment centre to, able to watch Blu-Rays and the usual streaming services available. I would not say it's loud I can hear the drive access from time to time but it's a lot quiter than my old X360
on 23 January 2014
Having only an Xbox 360 to compare this with, I could not resist this particular offer for only £199-00. Initial set-up was fairly easy and I applied my Sony PSN Plus account without any hassle. The graphics on GT 6 are amazing. Comparing it to Forza 4, they are just as good, but GT 6 has a lot more to play. Being able to race any time of the day is brill. Night racing around Brands Hatch is a joy. The PS3 itself is small. How the graphics compare to the PS4, I can`t say, but then GT 6 is not available for the PS4? However, I can highly recommend this machine, and this price package. The PS3 will still be supported for some time, and many new games will be both for the PS3 and PS4. The Last of Us has had rave reviews, but I`ve yet to play it. Five ***** stars for Amazon`s package deal and the PS3 itself, but one * star for carrier Hermes, who simply dumped the order outside my front door!
on 17 December 2013
This bundle has to be the best value for money in console history. The console itself is the 500GB Super Slim and comes bundled obviously with The Last Of Us and GT6 Anniversary Edition. All of that for £199.99 is an absolute bargain. Not to mention hundreds of incredible games from the last 7 years which are getting very cheap now and many more to come.

The games themselves are possibly 2 of the greatest PS3 games ever created. Just check reviews for either of them and you will see what i mean. One thing to note is that while you receive physical copies of both games, they are not for resale. They have no barcodes and "not for resale" on the boxes. This isn't an issue if you want to keep them, but you won't be able to trade them in.

There has been alot of criticism over the Super Slim design and build quality. While it doesn't feel quite as solid as the Slim or original, it is still well made and silent in operation. The only noises it makes, is when it reads discs, this can be quite loud, but nothing major and isn't constant. It is also very small and looks great. I haven't experienced any overheating issues or loud fan noise either, even during 6+ hour play sessions.

Not only is the PS3 an incredible gaming machine, it also offers a huge range of entertainment apps like Youtube and BBC iPlayer along with Netflix plus many more. It also plays Blu-ray's of course which look incredible and it upscales regular DVD's to HD resolution, making those look great too.

The only annoying thing is that Sony still doesn't include a HDMI cable which is necessary for the HD visuals everybody wants and buys this console for. They are very cheap though so its not too bad.

The PS3 is still worth your money, forget "next gen", the PS3 does everything the PS4 does and in some cases does more things. Sony has stated it will continue support and new games for years to come. With Blu-ray capabilities, entertainment apps and great games currently available and still to come, this is the best time to dive into the world of PS3.

If you're considering this bundle, just buy it. You won't be disappointed!
66 comments|40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 March 2014
Got bored with the ps4 as ive played all the games I like on it, so until more games come out for it, I decided to get a ps3 so that I would have loads of games to play. Believe me there are loads.
Anyway, this bundle is superb value £199 for the new ps3 and 2 of the top rated games on the console, GT6 and The Last Of Us. 2 brilliant games.
Had looked around at other retailers sites and couldn't believe the price of this in comparison.
The console was extremely simple to get up and running although the user interface was a bit complicated for me initially.
As I already have a ps+ account, it was simple to add my gamertag to the new console.
There are plenty of free games on the ps3 when you have a ps+ account, which makes the console even better value.

So all in all I would recommend that any gamer should get this.
on 18 January 2015
Just got this for a bargain end of clearance PS3 bundle at the knockdown price of £169.00 in a local supermarket (or rather, my credit card did).

Will edit this review from time to time once I get it up and running. I'm a Playstation groupie, it must be said - ever since I played the very first Tomb Raider on the PS1 in 1998, I've been hooked on Sony's machines since. I've owned a Dreamcast and an N64 but games-wise, Sony gets the cream of the crop in my estimation - Nintendo is kids stuff really and the Sega Dreamcast had a very short lifespan once the mighty PS2 came along and do not get me started on PC gaming!

I don't know if I'll play the two games bundled with this super slim 500GB console (The Last Of Us and Gran Turismo 6) as I'm contemplating selling them privately but Gran Turismo 6 looks as if it might be worthwhile checking out although NOTHING beats the original SNES version of Mario Kart (apart from maybe being given a Lambo to drive round Silverstone for the rest of your life) so as good as the graphics and gameplay might be in GT6, it'll have to be exceptional to make me forget all about SNES Mario Kart ;-)

No, I want Batman: Arkham City, Lego Marvel Super Heroes and Lego Batman 3 to play on this console and as PS3s also play DVDs and Blu Rays, I'm going to finally start ordering some Region 1 DC Comics Blu Ray discs since they're loaded with exclusive content extras-wise compared to the bare bones DVD editions.

Ooooh, Batman: Arkham City...drool! Excited by my purchase, My friend is up for some Soul Calibur 4 based pummeling so I suppose my first purchase had better be Soul Calibur IV then or my poor rear portions will be toast!

Watch this space!
on 2 January 2014
When my first ps3 got the yellow light of death a year ago, i was upset it was the 60gb version which had lasted 5 years i was uncertain of buying the super slim. Mainly because i had read about the noise levels and heat problems, but i can say i am glad that i bought this all be it a little late. The only noise you hear is the low whirring of the disc with occasional load noises when a new level is started. The console runs very cool i have it standing vertically and when i feel the base it is slightly warm to the touch. Now for the games i am not a racing fan but GT6 is a great game and you get the anniversary version which includes 1 million credits and other nice stuff (drivers suit etc), i have not played a lot of the game so far but from what i have seen i will be playing a lot more. The last of us was a bit disappointing it was the main reason i bought this bundle and after reading all the reviews and seeing the ocean of 10 stars i was left wanting, it is a good game but it is just that GOOD, i enjoyed my self but the story and ending did not grip me. The voice acting and character design is amazing, the graphics are amazing for the age of the ps3 but i really wish i had went into the game blind and did not read the reviews.

Overall i would recommend this bundle with the cost of the games and the console i think it is a enough of a bargain to justify me buying it at the end of it life cycle i have so much catching up to do.
on 22 January 2014
Bought my Dad this for his birthday and to say thank you for things he's done for me.

In short he absolutely loves it!!

Very light and very very quiet compared to my 80GB fat ps3 from 2009 sounds like a plane taking off

Have no complaints with this whatsoever!! My dad loves it, always been impressed with the PS3 and this new slim is no exception

5/5
This is one of two UK models of Sony's third major version of its PS3 console. The main differences between the two models are the size of storage included (the majority of this review discusses that difference) and the price - this model's a lot cheaper, the cheapest PS3 yet.

What the two models have in common is that they are both significantly smaller and lighter than Sony's previous PS3 versions. They also have a top loading disc drive rather than a slot loading one (a button releases a catch so the cover of the drive slides aside, then you push it back in place after inserting the disc). Aside from that there are few major differences from the last generation - same number of USB ports (2), same outputs, no SACD or PS2 disc compatibility, etc . The reduction in size and weight is very welcome and although some may feel slot loading is cooler and marginally more convenient, it's not a big deal, and you can understand that by doing this they have been able to make the unit cheaper.

To deal with the differences, this model has a stated storage size of 12Gb, made up of flash memory. The other model has a stated storage size of 500Gb, this being hard drive storage. When I got my 12Gb PS3 I immediately downloaded the latest version of the system software, and after that I checked the storage size available according to the system. It said I had 9108MB left. (Why not 12Gb? Well the system software takes up some space)

So is it worth going for this model at a cheaper price? That will depend on how you want to use the PS3, and you should give it some careful thought before buying.

If you want to use your PS3 to store more than a very small amount of audio or video, this is definitely not a good choice for you. The storage space is too small for that. For watching blu ray discs though, it's fine, even good (in fact, even though it's more expensive than entry level blu ray players, it must be worth £100 or so alone as a player considering that it has a built-in wireless receiver, no dongle required, and that Sony is so quick with updates so all the latest discs play just right). You can also easily connect an external hard drive or usb stick to play music or videos (or to take backups - more on that later).

Games is where it gets tricky. Considering disc-based games first, most PS3 games have only small compulsory install or patch sizes (some have none at all) and fairly small save sizes. These don't present a problem. However a significant minority of games do have fairly large mandatory installs and some of these can be very large. It appears the game 'Rage' has the largest compulsory install for a disc-based game yet released, at 8Gb. So in short yes you can play any currently released disc-based game on this model, and now this model is released, especially as it's fairly late in the PS3's life cycle, it seems unlikely that Sony would allow a disc-based game to require an install greater than this 12Gb model could handle. (in fact you might wonder if this 12Gb size has been chosen to be as small as possible but so 'any game' plays...). Even so you can see how if you had Rage installed there wouldn't be room for much else. That's an extreme case but it's not uncommon for games to have install sizes of a few Gb. If you're the kind of person who wants to keep many games on the go, or who just wants to forget about install issues, then this isn't for you. If you are content to have a couple games on the go (plus an indefinite number of those with very small install and save sizes, of which there are many) then this is a good choice.

Some games can't be purchased on disc and must be purchased on the Playstation Network (PSN), these tend to be smaller games or revamped classics. They tend to have smaller sizes so with some careful memory management the issue is really the same as the one above for disc game installs (install sizes are fairly typical of the sizes of games that aren't available at all on disc). So again if you want to keep many of these permanently on your PS3 this isn't for you. You can also download any purchased game from the Playstation Network up to 5 times, and you can backup PSN games to a USB storage device by taking a backup of all your data (you can also backup MOST saves individually, as long as the game doesn't 'copy protect' them). The same data storage issues apply to downloadable game demos you can get from PSN, which tend to be around similar sizes - although with these you'll likely to be happy to get rid of them after you've played. And again, there is downloadable content for some games which will also take up more space.

A minor point is the fact that this model has flash memory storage whereas the 500Gb model has hard drive storage. Flash memory is often said to be faster than hard drives, lighter, quieter and more reliable. Well the memory on this PS3 doesn't seem to be working faster - the Metal Gear Solid 4 regular (not full) install took about 8-9 minutes for me, the same as it does with a PS3 with a hard drive. Other installs don't feel faster either (maybe even slightly slower, but not significantly so). It is lighter but that doesn't make a huge difference to the weight. It is quieter but the hard drive on the PS3 isn't too noisy anyway. As for reliable, we'll have to see, but it seems PS3 hard drives are fairly reliable anyway. At least you can perhaps feel a bit cooler or more modern knowing you have flash memory under the hood, for people who care about that kind of thing!

Having said all that about storage space, it should be noted that you can install a hard drive in it (and it doesn't have to be a proprietary hard drive), similar to how the hard drives in all PS3s can be switched / upgraded. In fact some have noted that with the price of this model and the price of hard drives, it could save you money to buy this model and a 500Gb hard drive, over buying the 500Gb model. Or you could add a larger hard drive, e.g. 1Tb. However you not only need a hard drive but also a caddy (or 'mounting bracket' as Sony call it) that will fit. Search for "Sony PlayStation 3 Replacement Hard Disk Drive (HDD) Mounting Bracket" on Amazon now and you will find the caddy listed. Sony are also releasing an official hard drive for this model with the caddy included, search "Sony PlayStation 3 250GB Hard Disk Drive (HDD) (Includes Mounting Bracket) (PS3)" for that product on Amazon. You can install other hard drives though - make sure you pick one that with 2.5" width, 9.5mm height, 5400rpm speed and with SATA interface, to make sure it's compatible.

The PS3 has a great library of games now with many more greats to come even though the PS4 is said to be just around the corner. It's also a very good blu ray player. I'm someone who is fine having just a few games on the go at a time and I knew I could handle the memory management issues that would come with this model. I prefer to buy games and movies on disc. I have a PC and an external hard drive for audio and video. So this model was just right for me and I was able to take advantage of the significantly lower price point.