on 11 September 1997
In the Venice Beach section of 1970's Southern California, Munch Mancini
decides to clean up her life by giving up the drugs and booze, and to stop
hooking. However, before she can put her plan in motion, Munch soon learns
that police officer Mace St. John, a burned out cop, plans to bring her in
for questioning involving a recent homicide.

Somehow, the elusive Munch slips past the cop and even scores a job as a
mechanic at a local auto repair shop. Mace finds himself working on a
second homicide that he soon quickly realizes is linked to his other case.
He now knows that he must find Munch before what appears might be a serial
killer finds her and makes her his next victim.

Most readers will remain at best ambivalent if not hostile towards Munch
and Mace, but clearly will love the novel. NO HUMAN INVOLVED is a police
procedural tale wrapped inside a nostalgic down side look at the seventies
in Los Angeles. Barbara Seranella has written a great novel that, in spite
of the fact that Mace will not be well liked, will bevery popular as it reaches a vulnerable spot in reader's hearts.

Harriet Klausner

--------
on 27 June 1999
It is great writing and I pulled an all-nighter until I'd finished it. Wonderful technical detail, from botany to cars. The dialog is not Elmore Leonard standard. No drug-addicted prostitute I have ever known (and I've known a few) ever expressed herself in such terms as "hypothetically speaking couldn't the information the police sought be obtained over the phone." I liked finding that a witty and hard-boiled crime writer included a few decent, helpful, effective, and even sincerely religious, characters.
on 29 December 1998
The title and book cover are very deceiving at first glance. I had picked the paperback up three times and put it back before reading a few of the pages. It gives the impression of being a sci-fi/horror book. Instead, I was rewarded with a good, solid suspense mystery. Very good writing,original characters with humor to boot. Looking forward to reading "NO OFFENSE INTENDED.' Keep them coming, Barbara, 'cause you have a fan here.
on 8 March 1998
This is another boonie dog book review by Wolfie and Kansas. We eagerly looked forward to reading Barbara Seranella's novel "No Human Involved". Both the title and the fact that the main character is named "Munch" gave rise to certain expectations.
Alas, it turned out that nearly all of the characters in this novel are noncanine animals of primate derivation. Even Munch is human. This novel has two saving graces, however. First, one of the lead characters, a police detective, does save two dogs from being "put to sleep" at the "humane shelter". Second, "No Human Involved" may be the best first novel in the crime fiction genre that we have ever read--and we had to think twice about including the word "first" in this sentence.
on 15 December 1998
I liked the whole thing. It made me think and look back in the story at old information to try and solve it before the solution was given. I just plain out liked it. I liked the descriptiona nd information given about the Los Angeles area that I was able to relate to.
on 15 November 1997
The Poison Pen newsletter turned me on to this great mystery. The scenes between Mace and his father Digger are very touching. You just can't help not rooting for Munch to kick the habit and survive. A really really good mystery.
on 10 December 2013
If your preference is for gritty, down to earth crime novels, then the chances are you will enjoy `No Human Contact'. This is the first in a series of stories centring around `Munch' Mancini, an ex-prostitute who is fighting a heroin addiction and alcoholism and who also happens to be the main suspect in a murder investigation. The victim is her pimp, who was also her father. The tale includes tough cops and dangerous biker gangs, as well as a few kind-hearted folk who are prepared to give Munch the chance to redeem herself. Although crime novels don't get much grittier than this, `No Human Contact' is well written, exciting and enjoyable. I will certainly be reading more of the books in this series.
on 10 December 1997
This is a wonderful first novel which is chock full of story(s), and great characters you really root for. There is something for everyone here from S/M to AA to Alzheimers, child abuse, drugs, motorcycle gangs, car chases, guns, a non-hokey romance,and even pets adopted from an animal shelter! Seranella's narrative flow keeps it all in the air and moving. She makes the whole thing almost believable, and she caught me with a nifty surprise ending. Despair is everywhere, but so is hope, and the reader is lead to believe these wonderful characters are headed for redemption. This is one of the top three books I've read this year, and I recommend it highly. P.S. It even has narrow margins!!!
on 25 November 2013
I like mystery/thrillers and found this one to be excellent. It's fast-paced, credible, interesting and I liked the heroine. I also wanted to spend more time reading it than I should have done as the kitchen floor really did need washing: I liked it so much I might even consider paying for one!

Most Kindle freebies would benefit from a great deal of proof-reading, editing, correcting - but this one was well written and, anyway, I read it too fast to notice more than the most glaring errors (couldn't find any of those).
on 26 December 2013
First book I've read by this author and it was really good.I liked the writing style, I've read books before where the story was told from different points of view in alternate chapters and for me it hasn't worked, but it did here as both the main characters were likable and had my attention.I don't like spoilers but I liked the fact that this book had an unexpected main character and I look forward to reading more in this series.