Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.99

on 28 December 2014
Dangerous Dream is a novella intended to introduce readers to the Dangerous Creatures series, without having to have read the popular Beautiful Creatures series.

The premise of the story is right up my street - packed with dark supernatural beings, and given that this book is only around 35 pages long, this should have been a very enjoyable quick read... yet it took me three days to force myself to finish it.

For the first time in an incredibly long while I did not enjoy any aspect of this work.

There were too many characters who were mentioned but who did not actually have any active part in this story. None of them seemed to gel or stir any interest or sympathy in me as a reader.

I also found the writing style arduous , and I was left feeling that vast amounts of words were used to convey the least amount of information.

Unfortunately, Dangerous Dream has not only completely failed to engage me and spur me to purchase either series, it has in fact achieved the opposite and deterred me from reading anything further from these authors.

[ARC received via Netgalley]
on 30 December 2015
I received this book via Netgalley back in 2013. I read the Beautiful Creatures series at the beginning of 2013 so when I saw this on Netgalley I had to request it.

This book is the prequel to the new series Dangerous Creatures. I think that it links the two series. It begins at graduation which after everything they went through in the previous books its a miracle that Lena, Ethan and Link even made it here.

This book is more about Ridley than the other characters and it sets the scene for what's to come. I enjoyed this little story and now I really want to read the other books in the series.
on 21 January 2014
If your a beautiful creatures lover, get ready

whether you a teen, or just young at heart, then this book is the opening throws of the new trilogy starting the ball rolling at summer graduation, approximately seven months after Ethan's return from the otherworld. Like others in the series before, it starts out as if narrated from Ethan's unique look through the looking glass , where both both mortal and caster collide. After years of connecting dots on his wall map wishing he could get away , life in gatlin appears currently to be end.
Finally ethan and Lena will soon to be off to uni, not the one he originally intended of course, but he didn't mind as long as it was within driving distance of Lena, link used to rib them both calling them both Bert and Earnie, but they aren't the only ones, liv and John's romance has grown stronger! contrary to the emotional struggle the face and have decided to go back to England for a while together, whist his best friend Link, who has never given up on his dream, set with drum sticks, "who shot Lincoln" demo tape and beater are finally heading to New York, that is, if he and Ridley can tear each other away from each other.

To outsiders There on and off romance between the two of them had never been a smooth one, it was more caraseen and firecracker. But to links eyes Ridley will always be third degree burns hot no matter what scheming plan or over bearing diva tirade is in motion. but rid being Ridley, she just can't accept that what she feels is real, believing the curse of a dark caster will see her rather burning down the castle around Prince Charming than being rescued by him. but no matter what she is willing to admit let alone hear, there's always something deeper bubbling below the surface.

its almost as if the traumatic events of the past two years seem like a distant memory.

The duchannes curse has been broken and the order of things has been restored due to great sacrifice and heartache, yet as poor Ammas words echoed, you cannot out run the wheel of fate, once something is broken and repaired things are never quite the same, and by poking a hole in the sky you'll never know what else may slip through the cracks when your not looking.

But that's not the only storm that's brewing, when Lena wasn't expressing her frustrations at the cheerleading squad of Emily Asher's and savanna snows of this world , theirs another kind of storm brewing, and you can guarantee our favourite siren is involved.. without giving too much away, by the looks of things this is where the story will be at the heart of the next trilogy. Fans of the existing series will enjoy but may find it a little short and on power with dark dream, but for new comers to understand this particular book you need to have read part two and three of the original to understand the characters depths or know who the text is referencing , I suspect though this will not be a major problem for dangerous creatures as it will introduce new characters along with new locations so think of this as bridging the gap.

but be warned, given how the plot is so fundamental to the series, I wouldn't be surprised if part or all of this ebook became the opening chapters to dangerous creatures.

Whilst the books May star link and Ridley this time around, my hope is Lena and Ethan still play a major role in event to come. Ethan is not a mere mortal any more, the event of being in the otherworld and being the only mortal ever to make it back changed him in more ways than one, everyone joked about him being a wayward, yet little is known about this mortals as most had died young through mysterious circumstances, who says it was just for guiding light casters or restoring the order of things ? Hopefully this series will pick up on it beyond the obvious, and add a few more surprises courteously of our new mysterious dark illiam character...
on 18 December 2013
Love this little story! It adds extra info to the end of the Beautiful Creatures series and prepares us nicely for the Dangerous Creatures series which starts properly in May 2014.

There's some criticism on here about the length of the publication. If you look at the info provided it doesn't describe itself as a book, it's a story. It also clearly states how many pages are in that story so I can't see what the problem is...

Nice to dip my toes back into Gatlin waters again!
on 24 March 2014
Dangerous Dream by Beautiful Creatures authors, Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl, is introduction back into The Caster Chronicles world and cleverly transitions the narration from Ethan over to Link and Ridley beginning their spin-off series – an element I thoroughly enjoyed and felt tied the two series together nicely.

Ridley and Link are as argumentative and unruly as usual whilst maintaining their version of a functional relationship. That is, until Link says three ‘little’ words that sends Ridley running away and leaving Link to wonder where she is. Ridley being Ridley, ends up in an unexpected situation which then leads us into the story of Dangerous Creatures (Out 20th May).

Dangerous Dream was an enjoyable read and I loved each and every page. I really enjoyed The Caster Chronicles (maybe not so much Beautiful Chaos but all the rest were good) and therefore I was glad to have a small narrative by Ethan before switching over to Link & Ridley’s narratives for the Dangerous Creatures Series. Ridley and Link were always my favourite characters in The Caster Chronicles so I’m super excited they are getting a spin-off series - I can’t wait to learn even more about them, especially their thoughts now they are both narrating. Fabulous – A must read!
on 6 August 2014
Review Courtesy of April Hollingworth

I love the Dangerous Creatures series, but I found this short story a bit too short, and in so leaving out more than it should. I felt like I was left hanging at the end, too many questions and no answers. It being a short story in the series I’m sure the questions will be answered, but personally I would have preferred them answered in this book.

The Review:

Ethan, Lena and Link have finally graduated and can’t wait to start their new lives. Ridley picks a fight with her boyfriend Link and storms off to travel the world and try and forget him. On returning she ends up in New York City and joins a dangerous underground game where winner wins all. The stakes are high, but Ridley is determined to win no matter the cost.

FTC Advisory: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers through Net Galley provided me with a copy of Dangerous Dream by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl. Published through Little, Brown Books for Young Readers. Kindle Edition. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 21 August 2014
This digital short Dangerous Dream is a lead up to the Beautiful Creatures book Dangerous Creatures. This prequel introduces the story of Ridley and Link, or rather what happens to them when Ridley gets in over her head.
Dark Caster Ridley is a narcissistic diva with a heck of attitude and no regard at all for any casualties she leaves in her wake. She is quite simply a Siren.
Her elitist attitude is what gets her into a heap of trouble. Ridley ends up overestimating her own deck of cards and owing a very dangerous Caster a lot more than she is willing to give up.

Leading up to the actual introduction of the main plot of the next book the reader gets to experiences all the characters at their graduation ceremony. A wee bit of a half leg in and half a leg out, as far as creating a solid platform to introduce Dangerous Creatures. The game and Lennox scenes are enough to create interest, but they only take up a few pages.

The rest was and is rather weak for the purpose of creating hype for the book Dangerous Creatures..
I received a copy of this novella via NetGalley.
on 14 July 2014
I have never read the Caster Chronicles, so I decided why not read the novella to the companion series... I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I was intrigued from the very beginning of the world Garcia and Stohl have created. The cover is consistent throughout both series, it is compellingly dark and mysterious, the colours are toned down with the title standing centre stage.

This novella follows the actions of Lena's cousin, Ridley. She is rather complicated and I found her to be rather random in her speech! However she was edgy and hip, she did what she wanted; however she was naive to think she IS the most powerful.

Reading this novella has definitely made me want to read the Caster Chronicles, so hopefully I can add it to my monthly TBR soon.

The first instalment in the Dangerous Creatures series is Beautiful Chaos.

*Received from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*
on 13 March 2014
I was given a copy of this book by Netgalley in exchange for an unbiased review.

This is a series prequel. It concentrates on Ridley and the mess she gets into over a game of cards, although it is initially written from Ethan's POV. Whilst it was a pleasant and engrossing read, it doesn't have an ending as much as a 'now read on...' so it's pretty unsatisfying as a stand-alone. I enjoyed it, but I wouldn't have been happy to pay the £1.99 currently being asked for it on Amazon UK. I think readers would have been better served if it had been included at the start of the first book in the Dangerous series, or as an 'extra' at the end of the Beautiful series.
on 26 December 2013
This short story was a fantastic idea!!
It introduces both Link and Ridley wonderfully, and returns the spirit of Beautiful Creatures. I loved it, and cannot wait for Dangerous Creatures!!