5.0 out of 5 stars A super sized apocalypse!
This book has to be the best apocalypse thriller I have read so far. I loved it. As soon as I started reading it I could not put it down. There is so much going on that will grab you and keep you on the edge of your seat. There is action, thrills, scary parts, mysteries, romance and not just one apocalypse, but you get multiple!! How awesome is that??
The imagery...
Published 19 months ago by Zombimomi

3.0 out of 5 stars Not sure - 2 or 4 stars
There is a lot to love and a lot to hate about this book.

On the plus side, it is an exciting adventure story with plenty of action, zombies (sort of), interesting settings, a complex plot and lots of advanced technology if you like that sort of thing.

On the minus side, it's somewhat too complex with 'layers' of virtual reality - I think - and I was...
Published 13 months ago by Robosquid

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A super sized apocalypse!, 20 May 2013
This review is from: Noah's Ark (Kindle Edition)
The imagery and detail is incredible. It is almost like watching a movie they are so clear. For me, I know it's great when my favorite character is a serial killer and it's not just because it's taking place during an apocalypse.
This is a book that a fan of any genre would love.
I will definitely be watching for more to read from Mr. Morgan!

4.0 out of 5 stars a strong début with a powerful and unexpected ending, 7 Nov 2013
This review is from: Noah's Ark (Kindle Edition)
I was given a free copy of this book in return for an honest review.

This is a dystopian novel that manages to convey confusion, fear and uncertainty as the threads of society unravel. Its main focus is on the characters of: Michael, Doctor Roberts and Alex. The stories narrative flips back and forth between Michael and Alex; both are united in looking for answers.

The author, Andrew J. Morgan, manages to sustain the suspense and tension well, particularly early on, as everything has an unsettling feel to it. Science, the military and technology are at the centre of what is going on, and Morgan cleverly plays on all the reader's fears of these things.

Part of the story takes place in virtual reality, and there are many layers and mysteries to uncover before finding the truth. "What is real?" is the main question that drives the whole story.

There is plenty of action, (which I found reminiscent of Twenty Eight Days Later and The Matrix) to support the sense of unease and ambiguity. The only let down is the jargon and info-dumps. Otherwise this is a strong début with a powerful and unexpected ending.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really liked this one, 17 May 2013
Amazon Customer (Crawfordville, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Noah's Ark (Kindle Edition)
This was a great book! It really did keep me guessing up to the very end. Sometimes it is a bit overly descriptive, but overall I like the way it is written. The back and forth between Alex and Michael makes it more interesting.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice blend of genres, 22 May 2013
This review is from: Noah's Ark (Kindle Edition)
If you don't fancy reading my entire review then I'll cut to the chase right now - this is a damn good read, entertaining with a rich assortment of ideas, twists, characters and stunning visuals.

It starts very well, amazing in fact. The opening scenes with Alex are beautifully descriptive and Morgan's writing is effective in engaging my senses and keeping the pages turning.

Until the flow gets going there is a disjointed feeling, not knowing quite who I was supposed to be following. Part of me thought this was sloppy writing, but looking back I can see this was done on purpose.

The switching back and forth between Alex and Michael is jarring and somewhat bewildering for the characters and it had the same impact on me. It was done to keep the reader engaged and asking questions, anticipating the moment when the plot connects the dots.

The story moves at a brisk pace, never stopping too long in one place, but not at the expense of decent description which is rich and vivid throughout.

I would have liked Michaels strange and unexpected power to be explored more, possibly even used to in a positive way. I suspect there might be a reason for that, perhaps the second book will shed light on that aspect.

The concept is very good, with some fabulous tense "look over your shoulder!" moments. The opening scenes are amazing, I can't stress that enough.

And the end of Chapter 21 is awesome. A fantastic way to keep a reader wanting more, a full on cliff hanger that forced me to keep reading even after my bed time alarm had screeched at me yet again!

The idea of an Ark in space is very good, and the prospect of whatever nasties lurking inside coming back to Earth is scary, though the impact and implications of that miss the mark just a fraction. In order to care about the fate of someone, even an entire population, the reader needs to know more about them first.

The twists and turns were nicely done, and I love that "Ah, I knew it!" feeling, or indeed the opposite "Oh man, I didn't see that coming!"

This is the sort of story I'd love to read more of in a sequel. What happened next? Who dies and who survives? Is there a reason why? And so on. Lots of questions I'm sure can easily fill a sequel.

I recommend this to anyone keen on reading a strange yet satisfying blend of zombie, apocalypse, matrix (sort of - or virtual world), sci-fi style genre.

There are chapters to the sequel, Vessel, on Andrew Morgan's website, which is where I'm heading now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, 12 May 2013
This review is from: Noah's Ark (Kindle Edition)
Wow, well written! I burned through this wild ride today and feel really good about recommending it to any alternate reality, mystery, action buffs out there. The pacing was fantastic and i just couldn't put it down, cause I just had to know!

Great concept, the first few pages may seem a bit disjointed, but trust me, power through and it will be well worth it!
I would give details, bt I would not wish to ruin this tale for anyone.

Keep an eye out for this author!

4.0 out of 5 stars Mutant zombies in cyberspace - cool!, 2 May 2013
This review is from: Noah's Ark (Kindle Edition)
Noah's Ark should be enjoyed with the mind's visualization eye, like a graphic novel. Fun elements abound -- mutant zombies who coordinate their efforts and move quickly like shadows, Matrix-like cyberspace adventures, and tension enough to keep the reader turning pages -- all wonderful. I enjoyed the imaginative plot, which was a fresh mixing of technology with horror film nail biting. I "watched" the action in movie form, as though it were a storyboard or script. For such accomplishments alone, I rate the novel highly.

However, I cannot deny the literary tastes that have come from my years of studying writing and reading great writers. In my opinion, and please understand that many readers will not to agree -- but for me, the writing is the weak link and detracted from my enjoyment enough that I can not award 5 stars. The heavy use of adjectives, adverbs, clunky text and cliches got in the way of the story's momentum. Commercialism is king, however, and I have the same criticism for many bestsellers, so what do I know? Still, words are important to me. Since the prose stabbed at my more writer-ly sensibilities, I have to give less stars for that.

Four stars then, which, on Amazon, means I liked most parts of the novel. Noah's Ark is a fine first effort and the author's raw talent is evident. With additional polishing and editing, this will be a thrilling work, even for curmudgeons like me.. With additional polishing and editing, this will be a thrilling work, even for curmudgeons like me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent SciFi, 22 Mar 2013
P. Laurent (New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Noah's Ark (Kindle Edition)
UPDATE: The author has since revised the edition of this book, fixing the punctuation, clunky sentences and improving the narrative overall. I now highly recommend it to all readers. Enjoy!

(My original review from Amazon US follows)

Andrew J. Morgan's debut novel, Noah's Ark, is the story of two men, an extraordinary one living an ordinary life, and an ordinary one living an extraordinary life. Or so we are led to believe. Despite the title, this is Science Fiction, and not a Christian-based story.

Andrew infuses the story with several enjoyable plot twists, keeping the reader engaged and wanting to find out the answers to what is going on.
The plot starts off at a slow boil, it wasn't until 30% in when the book picked up the pace and captured my interest. The slow first third left me somewhat confused, and I struggled to connect with the characters. When the major twist is revealed, Andrew shows the potential for a fantastic and engaging novel. I almost found myself holding my breath at some points from anticipation and suspense. Unlike most novels, it is the mid-section of the book I found to be the strongest.

Andrew uses a wide range of phrasing to describe very exceptional events. Unfortunately it is often too much, and the narrative becomes bogged down in descriptions, especially the slow first third.
There are perhaps 3-4 punctuation errors and clunky sentences/dialogue per chapter, making for awkward reading at times. Too many adverbs told me what was happening rather than showed me.
Then there was the abrupt ending. It wasn't bad, it just left me hanging. What did the characters think of what had happened? We don't know, it just happened. A short sentence or two explaining what the characters thought and how it had affected them would have brought the novel to a more satisfying close.

Andrew knows how to tell a good story, but the prose is inconsistent. There is a lot of potential here. If the novel were to go through another few edits, this could well be worthy of 4 or even 5 stars. As it is, I can only recommend it to fans of the genre.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book - well worth a read!!, 6 Feb 2013
This review is from: Noah's Ark (Kindle Edition)
I have just finished this book and have got to say I was very impressed! It takes a little getting used to descriptive language style but the story is fantastic. The characters and story lines all join together in original ways and there are twists and turns along the way!

I would recommend this book, especially for the very low price!

I look forward to more from this author and can't wait for the sequel!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 5 Feb 2013
This review is from: Noah's Ark (Kindle Edition)
I'm on Chapter 15 of this book and it has really captured me.
At first if you are not used the very descriptive language it will seem strange, but keep going as once you get into it you cannot put this down! You can really get into the plot and characters. It also has some really great "Oh my God" moments when the plot starts to come to together.

I have now finished the book fully and the "Oh my God" moments never end! The plot comes together really well and the descriptive language remains constant throughout the book. The end really leaves it open to your imagination, which I feel some people will either love or hate.

I shall read it a second time as there was a few confusing moments and I recommend those who found the plot or the character swapping confusing do as well, as I'm sure the smaller details will become a lot clearer now we know where the story is going!

I also think it was quite risky for a new writer to try and explain a whole new kind of technology in his first book, which some readers may not understand, rather than just stay safe with what we know and it probably would have been easier to write, so good on him for giving that a go!

Generally a really good first book with some interesting ideas, likable characters and a plot and pace that keeps you going all the way to the end. For 77p how can you go wrong?

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent read for 1st novel, 4 Mar 2014
This review is from: Noah's Ark (Kindle Edition)
An interesting if quite hard to follow plot (later revisions have improved the flow and character explainations) but overall well written and a promising 1st novel

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›