5.0 out of 5 stars Malory Towers
Published on 6 April 2006

1.0 out of 5 stars KINDLE EDITION ADULTERATED!!!
Published 9 months ago by istavista

5.0 out of 5 stars Malory Towers, 6 April 2006
By A Customer
I have been a huge fan of the Malory Towers series for almost ten years now and i would thoroughly recommend the books to anybody. They are very accessible and gripping until the end. Whilst some may damn Enid Blyton's books as being monotonous or uninteresting, i, and the thousands of other people who have read and enjoyed these books for years, can attest to their brilliance. Anyone who has ever wished to attend a boarding school and enjoy the midnight feasts and adventures which occur there will simply adore these books!

5.0 out of 5 stars A world of fantasy for most ........, 6 Jun 2005
There has been a great debate, and rightly so, of the relevance of Enid Blyton to a multi-class, multi-cultural Britain. I first read this book when I was 11 years old - 35 years ago. I come from a hard working, respectable working class family in East London. Nothing could be further from my world than a group of posh girls setting off for boarding school to take part in japes etc etc. However - I loved it - my fantasy world with Darrell, Felicity and co. My best friend preferred the St Clair's books and she had a similar background to mine.
I can honestly say that I probably felt free to enjoy all the Malory Towers books comfortable in the knowledge that my parents would never be in the position to send me off to boarding school. I am sure that the series would seem pretty irrelevant to many young girls now, probably just a good trip back to the days of Bunty and Judy for those of us who are now smiling while reading this review.

5.0 out of 5 stars I've always wondered what it's like at Boarding School, 21 Nov 2011
Darrell Rivers is off to Boarding School and she is terribly excited. She's leaving her friends and her jealous but kind little sister Felicity and family behind. She is very fond of the uniform, she is a good friend and if you stay on the right side of her, she can be understanding, cheerful and sensible. Everything is packed, toothbrush, clothes, tennis racket, health certificate, everything she needs all except from one of the most important things. A lid for her temper. Boy, has she got a flaming hot temper so as I said, if you come across somebody a bit like Darrell, try to stay on the right side of them if you can!

This is an excellent book and definitely one of my favourites. I've left this very late to review this as for now I've nearly finished the Enid Blyton books of Malory Towers and I'm almost onto the books written by Pamela Cox. My dad influenced me into reading these books and then I influenced my friends into them.

This isn't a very long book but it took a few nights for me to finish it. I read it every evening and every time I did, I wanted to read more and more.(So I did!)

Fun, exciting things happen so that is what makes it good. Also there is lots of tension and action.(I love it!) If you do order this book I think you'll like it but if you don't, it's your opinion so I don't mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Review, 20 Mar 2006
This book is amazing, I had it given to me at about the age of seven, read it several times and thoroughly enjoyed it. I've just found out they are being re-released this year and as I am now 18, I'm buying the whole set for my younger sister who is almost eight. Perfect for adults and children. Fabulous!

1.0 out of 5 stars KINDLE EDITION ADULTERATED!!!, 21 Dec 2013
This review is from: First Term at Malory Towers (Kindle Edition)
Why why why do they alter these books from the original versions? It is just plain wrong. In an attempt to pander to modern sensibilities or perhaps political correctness gone mad, the famous incident where Darrell loses her temper and slaps Gwendoline in the pool has been turned into a 'shaking'. It has always been made totally clear in the book that Darrell's behaviour was unacceptable and she herself is horrified (after she has cooled down) and makes immediate amends by apologizing. There is no need for these sorts of changes to be made to the story and the purchasers should be warned , by Amazon, if they have been made in my opinion. So BE WARNED that an excellent book has been vandalised.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enid Blyton Rocks!, 31 Jan 2008
CLW "Claire" (Glasgow,Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
Anyone who reads Enid Blyton books will be thoroughly impressed with her writing. I read as many of her books as I could get my hands on from age 8+, but even still it's wonderful to read them again after a hard day at work - remembering simpler times! Having been to a boarding school, it's not quite like Blyton writes - but I wish it had been! Great adventures, highly recommend it!

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun,uplifting book on life in a girl's boarding school., 20 Jan 2002
Diya (Portland-Oregon, U.S.A.) - See all my reviews
'First Term at Malory Towers' is about a girl called Darrell who goes to Malory Towers, a girl's boarding school, for the first time. There she finds plenty of excitement. She meets quiet Sally, who in the end of the book, changes quite a lot. She also meets scatter-brained Irene, Jean, a jolly girl from Scotland, Emily, a quiet studious girl, and Katherine the headgirl of the First Form. There is also timid Mary-Lou, who is quite scared of insects, boastful and spiteful Gwendoline, and last of all witty, amusing Alicia who enjoys playing tricks on the teachers. Darrell also meets Matron, the lady who takes care of the girls in the North Tower, which Darrell is in.
Miss Potts, the First Form teacher teaches Darrell how to use her time wisely. Darrell is a hardworking girl, but knows when to have fun and she soon settles in and joins in the fun and games. She gets along quite fine and although there are some mishaps, altogether everything is sorted out in the end. This is a very happy-go-lucky sort of book, but you also learn a lot from it. I recommend this book for people who like humour, adventure and fun. It isn't too comical or too serious. It has just the right mixture. I can't really compare it with anything else because it is special in its own way, and I like it a lot. It is a book you can read and reread again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for 7 Year olds!, 14 Aug 2009
I bought this for my 7 year old daughter and myself to read together at bedtime. I read this series of books fervantly as a young child and looked forward to sharing the experience with my daughter. Lucy's point of view was the same as mine at 7, in that she couldn't wait to read the next book and we are now just about to start the third. She loved the boarding school setting and begged to be read extra every night. I have to admit though being somewhat shocked at how boring I found these books and also how 'beastly' some of the girls were (to coin a phrase!). It's amazing how you change over the years.
However I am grading this as 5 star as Lucy loved it and it is after all aimed at her age group not boring old ***** like myself!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply brilliant., 26 May 2006
S. Kilani - See all my reviews
My heart caught in my throat when I realised the Malory Towers series was back in print!

The only reason I didn't keep the originals from my own childhood was becaause I had worn every single page and book jacket down to shreds from lovingly reading and re-reading them over and over again....

I adored Malory Towers and all the stories of Darell and Gwendolyn and the gang. At 27 I can't wait to get my hands on the entire series and read them all again!

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite blast from the past, 2 May 2008
Boof (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Ah, how much did I love these books when I was a kid? I so desperately wanted to be friends with Darrell Rivers et al and tip-toe down to the beach for midnight feasts with lashings and lashings of ginger beer!

I must have read the whole series at least 10 times, and I recently rediscovered them when I was off work sick for a few days - I curled up under my duvet with mugs of lemsip and lost myslef in the best boarding school in the world for a few days. I'm in my 30's now (well into them, but shhh!) and I could have been a 10 year old again, they made me feel carefree and happy.

The series follows Darrell Rivers and friends (Sally, Mary Lou etc) through their 5 years at boarding school on the Cornish coast and we meet and fall in love with an aray of fabuous characters along the way including spoilt, sulky Gwendoline, headstrong Alicia and tomboy Bobbie.

I just loved these books years ago and I still love them now. Whether you have never read any Mallory Towers or you grew up with them like me, then you are about to get a real treat by picking this book up. Enjoy!

First Term at Malory Towers