4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect but worth it
Published 4 months ago by Donato

2.0 out of 5 stars Fatally flawed
Published 2 months ago by gridref

2.0 out of 5 stars Fatally flawed, 1 Feb 2014
I really liked this case for about a week; the fact that it fits on to the back of the phone is an elegant solution. The feel of the material is very good and I like the flip cover. However there is a fundamental design flaw which has resulted in me sending the cover back and may prove to be very expensive indeed. Despite the cover being by Motorola for a Motorola Moto G phone, the magnetic flip cover has completely messed up the magnetometer in the phone rendering any app which employs compass bearings unusable. Google Maps, Google Earth, various astronomy apps such as Sky Eye and ISS tracker are completely baffled and fail to work. Sky Eye described it as an extremely unusual magnetic field. Basic compass apps don't point north but spin around depending on where the case flap is being held. There is a piece of metal in the back of the case which is supposed to shield the magnetometer but it fails completely. The magnet appears to be far too strong; you could easily use it to stick the phone to a fridge or something.

Crucially, I removed the cover and replaced it with the original phone back in the hope of restoring the functionality. I'm rather sorry to report that this has NOT solved the problem and the magnetometer appears to have been completely fried. Google Maps is still confused; even a simple compass doesn't work. It is not just me; a quick search reveals that others have had the same issue; some have complained to Motorola, who appears to have replied along the lines of 'it's a magnet - tough'. That's not good enough in my opinion. My new phone is now not fully functional and I don't know how I stand in terms of warranty. I'm not happy.

It may be that you don't feel that geographic direction is not important and you can live with the problems caused, but it is a fundamental feature of many apps these days. Bear it in mind.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect but worth it, 12 Dec 2013
Donato (Welsh Wales) - See all my reviews
Just received it today and as my title suggest I was a tad disappointed. Don't get me wrong it does the job fine, the go to sleep and wake function works fine and the fact that it is a new back is a great idea in keeping the phone as slim as possible. my main gripe is that the front panel just feels like a flap, yes it does stay shut and whilst it may not be flimsy it just feels that way, not as premium as I would have liked. The colour of the case is a very subdued blue, not as vibrant as the site suggests. It does it's primary job though in protecting the phone....so I am nit picking somewhat.

Do remember however I have given it 4 stars and when you consider the outrageous prices some manufacturers charge for extras it is still great value more so for me as I had it at the original launch price....I guess due to demand there is a slight premium added nowadays. If you do get it...have fun getting the old back off :-).......fitting the new one though is easy peasy.

Edit after a weeks use. I was too harsh, It should get the five stars it is a joy to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent cover, did just as I expected!, 23 Dec 2013
This cover replaces the back of the phone, so there is no additional bulk and the the flip cover protects the screen with a handy magnetic fastening. Would definitely recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent protection for my Moto G, 30 Jan 2014
This review is from: Motorola Flip Door Case Cover for Moto G - Black (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I love it. I feel my phone is protected and it fits like a glove. Feels good to the touch too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great phone case, 11 Jan 2014
Great fit, and because it replaces the original back, it doesn't add to the bulk. The non-slip finish is a great improvement on the original case (which I found to be too slippy). Finally the magnetic catch for the flip front is secure and silent along with switching the phone on and off. Very pleased Mike

4.0 out of 5 stars flip cover, 10 Jan 2014
I bought this for my wife for Christmas and it excellent nice and slim and as its from Motorola it fits perfectly

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Product, 24 Dec 2013
D. Gray - See all my reviews
I bought this because my previous two phones met their end via a smashed screen (and hence why I've bought a Moto G - an inexpensive, but high quality device).

This cover completely replaces the default rear shell - an ingenious way of adding no bulk to the phone. The flip cover is magnetic and will remain closed even if I turn my phone upside down. Through black magic the phone will lock/unlock when you close/open the flip cover.

The aesthetics are very pleasing, and make the phone appear even more premium. The shell is textured, compared to the smooth default shell. In my opinion this allows for a more secure grip on the phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars attractive and functioal, 11 Jan 2014
Good protective cover. Like the textured surface - it does not slip out of your hand. I like the feature that it replaces the rear shell of the phone, so is an integral part of it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Flip door cover, 10 Feb 2014
Mr. A. Shore "alsho" (UK) - See all my reviews
I thought at first it might have been a bit flimsy, but that is not the case. It clips securely onto the back of the phone and the front magnetised section folds flat against the screen switching off whatever you have going on in the process. Folded back, the front flat area actually makes the phone easier to hold and use so no problem there. (This probably depends on the size of your hands; mine are big.)
If you are using the main camera, then obviously you cant fold it back but have to hold it open. This where you have to develop some form of technique trying to hold the flap cover and the camera steady. It is not easy.
Perhaps if the flat cover had holes in it for the camera lense and the flash it would be better.
As protective covers go it is quite acceptable overall.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great case, 13 Jan 2014
A bit pricy but well worth the money I slip it into the ONX 3 belt holster on going out.

ARRAY(0xb1d0e240)