‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't speak French, so I let the funky music do the talking, 13 Oct 2013
This review is from: Racine Carree (Audio CD)
I think not understanding French really makes me listen to the sounds the lyrics (along with the music, naturally) make in, what I would agree is, the Belgian artist's best album to date. However, from what I've read, Stromae is actually a brilliant lyricist too. I always find it disappointing that we fail to listen to music not in English in the UK with very few notable exceptions (here's looking at you, Psy) because this album is incredible and has proved to be a huge hit across Europe...just not here. I was originally told about thumping Papaoutai by a Russian friend who was astounded that I hadn't heard it before; it's a testament to the closed-mindedness of our music tastes.
I hope that if you've made it far enough to read a review on this album it means you're considering buying it - I suggest you do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius!, 3 Sep 2013
J. Buggle (Dublin , Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Racine Carree (Audio CD)
I heard the infectious Papaoutai and saw the brilliant video when I was in France and loved both. The album doesn't disappoint. Electronic music with loads of other influences including hip hop, tango, congolese, Cape Verdean, even arabic. This guy truly is a maestro and a visual genius to boot. Intelligent and interesting lyrics. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practice your French and Boogie, 16 Dec 2013
This review is from: Racine Carree (Audio CD)
This kid writes the most remarkable lyrics, that invoke tears and laughter! And all with a afro/latino beat! Somehow his Belgian rapping manages really well not, to offend my ears!! He is the Belgian Version of our lovely lad 'Dizzy Rascal'!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Racine carré, 24 April 2014
This review is from: Racine Carree (Audio CD)
Stromae is a fantastic artist! Great album! Every song is special. I recommended it. I haven't enjoyed listening to a french artist for so long.

5.0 out of 5 stars The love-child of Kanye West and Daft Punk, 9 Nov 2013
This review is from: Racine Carree (Audio CD)
Easily the stand out hip hop album of the year, meshing electronic, dance, hip-hop, and rap music. Stromae's second album shows how much he has grown as an artist with less jarring production than his first album. My French has not progressed since high school but you can really sense the intent behind the genre-blending tracks from his stunning vocals, either rapping or singing. From the hip-hop ballad "Formidable" to the driving angst-pop of "Papaoutai" to the moody instrumental "Merci", this album does not lend itself easily to categorisation, but if you like to step outside the realms of top 40 and away from the bravado of American hip-hop you will find a very engaging and accessible artist who pushes the boundaries of rap.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real must buy album!, 2 May 2014
This review is from: Racine Carree (Audio CD)
Outstanding album! Papaoutai is my fav track! This album made me buy the album "Cheese" too! And I just love French!!! A joy to listen to!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this guy and his album, 13 April 2014
This review is from: Racine Carree (Audio CD)
Great music, original. This guy has some cool ideas. Check his videos on youtube. I highly recommend this CD, worth buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great CD!, 31 Mar 2014
This review is from: Racine Carree (Audio CD)
I have came accross Stromae few montsh ago through my French lessons and must say this cd is amazing! Hope for some new soon! Gosia

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 3 July 2014
This review is from: racine carrée (Audio CD)
All I can say is: buy the album!,

5.0 out of 5 stars It's not a surprise but sad that Stromae isn't as popular here as in French ..., 27 Jun 2014
This review is from: Racine Carree (Audio CD)
Formidable! CD. It's not a surprise but sad that Stromae isn't as popular here as in French speaking countries

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›