Format: DVD|Change

Without a doubt this is the best film made about the New Jersey Devil. And just for the record I have seen others and reviewed them on Amazon. Richard (Stephen Moyer) decides to drag his family camping in the Pinelands where his dad would take him camping as a child. Richard plans to scatter his dad's ashes on the trip. His family is not eager about the whole thing.

As the film progresses, we discover, as does his family, that Richard has serious issues. Unfortunately by the time the family realizes what is happening, they are located deep in "Devil" territory.

I liked the scare factor in this film. The story flashback at the campfire was well done. Stephen Moyer played a convincing role as a man becoming....you'll find out. Allie MacDonald plays the moody 17 year old daughter. 5 stars might seem overrated for a film that has a high amount of predictability. In spite of that, the acting, direction, and script were done well, something I would like to see more of in "B" horror films.

Parental Guide: F-bombs, no sex or nudity.
on 8 March 2016
What a bland derivative turd-show this film turned out to be.

The plot (such as it is) revolves around a family on a camping trip in the New Jersey Pine Barrens.
Dad loses his sh!t almost immediately and as he escalets into Jack Torrance mode, people start dying. Oh and the Jersey Devil might be involved somehow but you'll be long past the point of caring by the time this illformed plot device rears it's ugly head.

This is simply a bad film that should have been aborted at the script stage. The director Darren Lynn Bousman (various Saw sequels) goes for atmospheric slowburn but fails spectacularly and instead delivers the sort of plodding mess where the end credits can't come fast enough.

Seriously give this one a miss, you'll be better off.
on 25 January 2015
Wasn't expecting much but did find myself getting gripped. I'm not usually one to be easily led down a path but this fooled me. On the dvd I watched there are a few extra minutes after the credits so don't do what I normally do and turn it off once the credits start rolling.
on 13 March 2016
A very average horror. Not especially scary and not a great storyline. A family go camping and the Father, played by Stephen Moyer, starts to act increasingly irrational. Some gory murders take place and his family believe he is responsible. A weird twist ending.
on 16 November 2015
A weird story of a witch in the woods that bares no resemblance to what actually happens in the film as a father loses the plot in the woods with his family. I lost the will to live
on 16 December 2015
Very good movie. Has you thinking it's all one way. I thought the jersey devil was another name for big foot how wrong was I
on 3 June 2014
Promising premise which deteriorated into a ludicrous, in my view, ending. I can't think of anything more to say about this film - the ending ruined it and maybe some hammy acting along the way.
on 7 June 2014
Thought the film was pretty dull and the ending was terrible.wouldnt waste an hour and a half on this movie
on 15 June 2014
This is a disappointing film. I don't want to moan too much about it but I found it uninteresting, dull and slow. The characters are not very believable and the scenario's they play out are ludicrous. It's been put in my pile of discs to give to charity.

I would say the subject matter is what draws people to this movie, it's worth a watch if the subject interests you but I don't think you'd revisit it after one viewing.

There is a scene after the credits, it's worth a watch as it's probably the first scene in the film that feels like you step up a gear!
on 2 December 2014
We bought,we saw ----we don't like.As some of the other reviewers have said 'don't waste your time nor money'.Very slow moving story about a family having a short vacation camping-- -of course deep into the woods where there is no mobile reception[naturally]Joined by some great salivating 'honey monster' thing,supposed to frighten you---or at least give you a scare.Oh yeah?? We were quaking in our slippers as we waited with baited breath for the next scare.We,of course, had to breathe at some point[tired of waiting for the scare].Do these kinds of people really exist?I know what reaction I would give if my man decided he was going to dictate where we were going---regardless of my feelings!!!!Well a film has to be made,of course. I simply cannot believe this would happen----it wouldn't.So buy if you REALLY want to---but don't expect to be scared,frightened, or even a little bit jumpy.Will we go camping? OF COURSE WE WILL---NO PROBLEMO!!!