Package Quantity: 1|Style Name: Original Packaging|Change

on 18 December 2015
Bought as a game to bring the family together and provide some quality time together...

My wife has locked herself in the bathroom and won't come out. The banging has stopped, but apparently this is exactly what her mother has done her entire life and is part of the desire for a self-fulfilling prophecy where by which everything my wife does ends in failure. Today that involved euthanasing my wife's Horse on the final straight.

My mother-in-law has drunk half a bottle of gin and having reduced the wife to tears moved on to her husband, who's attempts to foil my father's horse with his ghost horse, were apparently impotent, futile, flaccid, limp... you get the drift, we can assume there have been issues and today they boiled up and were revealed... We thought that was as awkward could get, but no...

My own mother has never liked my mother-in-law and has until now been incredibly diplomatic about this fact, saving her comments for those quiet moments when they can cause no offence. That ended about 75 minutes ago after the Start Again card was played... comments about rewriting history until it suited your tilted world view and your insular self righteousness and how you can always spot an only child from how they can never bear not to get their own way... Needless to say this swept away and sense of polite friendship she had managed foster and both of them are now trying to turn each other to stone with nothing but an icy glare...

Fortunately our daughter wasn't there to see this, having declared we never let her do anything (horse fell at one of the jumps), she hated us all, wished she'd been adopted, and we don't love her as much as her brother... before hitting her brother and storming out.

Tim (8yrs) was allowed to stay up late and play as a treat. The main effect of this decision, a bad one on our part, was an increase in his vocabulary, as a result of which he was today sent home from school after calling his teacher a "callous dried up ****ing frigid old *******er".

However in fairness Tim was perfectly able to grasp the premise, and in the end won the game, though he was disappointed that there was only his grandfather still at the table to witness this, and no-one really shared his joy at victory. I was making up the spare room, having been informed I would not be welcome in the marital bed.

Would not recommend, spare room is cold and the bed is uncomfortable. Should have bought Trivial Pursuits.
44 comments|25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 May 2014
We love this. You can refine your approach to the game in different ways...all of them devious....unfortunately that's exactly the same with everybody else and you can end up outflanking yourself. We've had races where nobody has finished, and others where people are desperately trying not to win a race, but do anyway.

Highly recommended, but not for bad losers who take things personally!!
on 15 December 2013
Just wanted to say something about this game. I bought a copy years ago and the gameplay is great. The overall winner amasses the most in winnings over the course of 6 races. You do this by collecting your winnings when you come 1st 2nd or 3rd or betting on the winner (which may or may not be you). Everyone has cards which allow you to nobble your opponents over the set of races (of course they can nobble your horse too!). There is not much educational (except for triumphantly working out your winnings- dependent on the odds) but it's nice because you can play it straight or play it sneaky and even if you don't win overall, just winning a race can feel great. My grown up friends get really involved in playing it. People who played it wanted it themselves. Better than Monopoly !
on 19 February 2016
This is a truly excellent family game. It is suitable for older children (8+) up to the elderly. We usually play with 4-6 players and if you play all the rounds it takes about 90 minutes. You can, of course, have a mid-game break for refreshments and comfort. If you want younger children to play, they could be teamed up with a teenager or adult, they will soon get the hang of it. The rules can seem daunting on first attempt,so it is important that one person (purchaser or head of family) gets her head around the game with a prior run through. This will be richly rewarded when the game is played. My family - not a nerdy, game playing bunch, all are usually glued to iPads, gaming boxes or phones - all get involved and we have had our 3rd year of playing the game. You don't need to know anything about horse racing or gambling, you will just have a very enjoyable evening with one person making millions!
on 10 April 2015
This is a fantastic game with a nice balance of luck and skill. I agree with the comments about its ability to cause upsets, but as long as all are clear that it's supposed to involve some nastiness / ruthlessness it remains fun. At the end of the day it teaches a good life lesson about games being about the enjoyment of playing / having fun and not necessarily about winning.
on 16 January 2015
We used to play this game years ago and our parents ended up banning it due to all the fights! My parents lost the game so I got it for them this christmas and it was even better than I remembered! A little fighting is inevitable but well worth it!
on 1 August 2015
By far the most fun board game I have ever played. It is a game of chance and skill with just the right amount of cunning that makes it fun. A game takes a good 2+ hours with a group but add some wine and beer and its a great night.
on 17 January 2014
What a game, buy it - but don't blame me if you end up smacking a relative like I nearly did over Christmas.
on 4 March 2016
OMG ... I have played so many games over the years but I have never ever seen the nicest of people turn really nasty playing this. Imagine a little old silver haired granny who is normally so docile and agreeable.... Well not during this game !!!
Seriously, she plays every nasty possible card on you so she can win the race or the person she has bet on wins the race...
This is where there is a twist to this game , as you have to decide on who to bet on winning the race according to the odds and you will do everything in your power to make it happen. This is the first game we play at Christmas , and we wait to see who granny is going to pick on this year ... Hoping it's not you!
on 13 August 2014
My family enjoys this game, now we can share it with friends!