Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have loved some of Tilly’s books in the past and was looking forward to reading this latest one. Tatiana starts the story off in the prologue with quite an entrance. It certainly made me laugh and I thought it may well be a case of a love/hate thing with this character. The main crux of the story is that Tatiana’s father has left the family estate to distant cousins from Australia, namely Brett Cranley. With all the scandal and drama required from a Bagshawe book we see fireworks as Tatiana decides to get back what she thinks is rightfully hers.

Something odd happened to me when reading this novel though. I found I didn’t care either way what happened to any of them. The thing I will say is that this is meant to be scandalous, dramatic and full of larger than life characters that you love to loathe. It certainly meets that criteria but for some reason I just couldn’t get into it. The book is certainly not a short read at over 500 pages long, but normally that wouldn’t bother me. I just found myself feeling like the book was dragging a bit and that it should just hurry up and finish.

Not my normal response to a Bagshawe book, and subsequently I can’t help feeling like this was just an average run of the mill book and nowhere near as good as some of her previous ones. Maybe I just wasn’t in the mood for this sort of book and I should have just left it a while and gone back to it, who knows? I will continue to read her books and hope that the next one tickles my fancy a little bit more.
VINE VOICEon 1 December 2014
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This tale revolves around the great house of Furlings in the Sussex countryside - its young heiress has been unceremoniously disinherited and will stop at nothing to reclaim the estate. Its ruthless new owner has other ideas...

As a bit of a silly romp there's plenty to be getting on with in this book. You have the typical cast of upper class toffs and new money, as well as various colourful village characters. There's sex and scandal and intrigue and lots of games of oneupmanship. The main character Tatiana is spoiled and brittle but not inhuman - she could very easily have been written to be the two dimensional socialite but does have some light and shade to her. The children of the new owners, Logan and Jason, both get given some sympathetically done storylines and added some interest to the book.

The problem I found was that it was all extremely predictable. You knew exactly who was going to end up with who from a few chapters in, you saw all the twists and turns coming and the book wasn't really different or funny enough to compensate for the lack of suspense. Tatiana may not be two dimensional but her property developer rival Brett Cranley certainly is, and there are a ridiculous number of characters listed in the cast list at the beginning of the book who have absolutely nothing to do. They're deemed important enought to include and constantly refer to yet they play not even the smallest part in proceedings. What's the point? Are readers supposed to know them from other books? It got very irritating hearing so much about how sexy cricketer Santiago de la Cruz is supposed to be and what a trouble maker world renowned model Emma Harwich is with no explanation or relevance to what was actually going on! I'm probably going to walk away from the book remembering those names best when they weren't even part of the story...

The thing that really killed it for me is that the book seems far too keen on the seriously outdated notion that men who behave atrociously towards women only do it because they love them and are the right guy for them. Glamourising toxic relationships is a popular trope I know but after spending the entire book watching one person try to destroy another it's hard to root for them to get together...
on 25 June 2014
I have to confess that, unfortunately, I didn't like this book.
It was highly predictable, the characters were not believable and the
plot was weak.
The love-hate relationship between the two main protagonists was a cliché and
wasn't a surprise.
Overall, to me it was a complete waste of time
on 19 August 2014
Desperately trying to be Jilly Cooper but not in the same league. You knew what was going to happen, felt like it rambled on for an age in the middle then ended in a rushed, almost as is aware it had gone on too long, way leaving you disappointed and annoyed you've waded through to end.
44 comments|4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 August 2014
Very disappointed, guess the plot and who would end up with who in the first couple of chapters!!!
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
We all know we only buy Tillys books for a good romping yarn and this doesnt disappoint.

Tatiana is a very spoilt, 24 year old girl, (she is too childish to be called a woman), who has had everything handed to her on a plate her whole entire life.

Then her father dies and quite shockingly, well to her anyway, he decides to leave her family estate to a distant cousin and his family that live in Australia.

Tatiana is furious of course and sets about trying to get the estate back from the very disgusting Brett Cranley.

There is a really good background story here in the supporting characters, i live in a village in the cotswolds so i really resonated with some of the characters in the book , as we have a few here exactly like them lol

Overall i really enjoyed it, it is worth the published cost and its a whopper of a book at 502 pages, will keep you busy for ages.
on 2 August 2014
This was a well written book with a new angle on the old problem of the disinherited heiress. My interest was held throughout the first half, as the action took place predominantly in the village, it waned for most of the second half as we wandered off into the world of big business and board rooms, and then I was fascintaed by the end. There were tedious references to shops and manufacturers which may mean something to someone, and the foul language was difficult to stomach. I had difficulty following character changes as rebels metamorphed to embrace society, and clean-living people became druggies and arsonists, sex addicts became celebate overnight, and very few characters survived the whole book without a blotted copybook. It is a sad indictment of rich living. Anyone buying the book for the first chapter or the cover picture will be disappointed.
VINE VOICEon 9 July 2015
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )|Verified Purchase
Tatiana is a furious young woman as her father has left the family house to Australian relatives and made it a condition that if she wants to receive a legacy from him she needs to take a job in the village school. The new owner of the house, Brett Cranley, is an obnoxious business men, in the field of property speculation.

This was a fun read though written in rather purple prose at times, opening with an adjective laden description of a beautiful Sussex village, and a heroine who is stunningly beautiful and a spoiled brat. The storyline is quite farfetched but I did come to want to know what would happen to most of the characters. Although the setting is supposedly contemporary, it did remind me a bit of the 80s style bonkbusters which mixed sex and glamour with business and money.
on 27 October 2015
The Carpetbaggers (Harold Robbins) meets Jilly Cooper! The picture on the front, similar to Riders/Rivals/Polo/Jump is misleading as this book is not about horses in any way, and most of the references to horses and racing are inaccurate. That said, the story is a very enjoyable romp following the travails of Tatiana (Tigi ?).

As a beach holiday read you will find all you need to keep you turning those pages.

I will not detail the plot here and spoil it for other readers.

Ms Bagshawe has a gift for plot, for dialogue, and uses some interesting metaphors and similes. I will certainly check out her other novels.

Recommended.
VINE VOICEon 28 June 2014
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This book is well written and quite a page turner, it is a long read and full of a cast of characters and there lives.

Tilly Bagshawe always writes about people with more money than sense in general and this was no different, liked the village setting, Tilly Bagshawe is being promoted as the new Jilly Cooper now.

I did get a bit bored half way through and the ending although not something I could completely guess was a little predictable. I didn't love the book, would have given it 3.5 if I could have.

If you liked Tilly's other books you will probably like this, I preferred 'Friends and Rivals' but I think this will do well.