on 6 July 2014
What a surprise HERE COMES THE NIGHT turns out to be. Having thoroughly enjoyed the excellent Ken Emerson's ALWAYS MAGIC IN THE AIR, I imagined there wasn't much more to say about the New York music scene in the sixties. Joel Selvin's book is an excellent extension of, and addition to, the story. The pages are stuffed with entertaining music history and anecdotes featuring dozens of familiar names along the way. As a fan of sixties pop and soul, it's one of the best music books I have ever read.

The book is very well written and fast paced. Having had my jaw dropped by Tommy James' book ME, THE MOB, AND THE MUSIC, I was well-prepared for the "dirty business" part of the story. What was impressive was Joel Selvin's handling of the more outrageous characters. There was none of that moralising high-mindedness that spoils so many other books, where authors cannot help but allow their own opinions to colour the tales they tell. I was able to make up my own mind about who was "good" or "bad" and came away having been thoroughly informed and entertained.

I ended up falling in love with Ellie Greenwich all over again.

The book includes an awe-inspiring, 35 pages long, Bert Berns discography. The detail in this section, compiled by music expert Rob Hughes, is worth the book price alone. With two Ace Records' Bert Berns compilation CDs easily available (and a third rumoured to be on the way) a newly opened stage show about Bert playing in NYC, and a documentary in production, it seems the uber-talented Bert Berns is finally being given the credit which has been long overdue.

This is an essential book for music fans.
on 29 September 2014
Interesting book that goes beyond Berns to cover the New York music scene from the 1940s to the late 1960s. As such, it can be confusing at times, especially in the early chapters, when we lose sight of Berns altogether for quite long periods. However, the structure works better as the book develops. Berns comes out of this pretty well, Atlantic - especially Wexler, but also Ahmet Ertegun - much less so. At last the history that Wexler wrote in the 70s is being unpicked. The story about Wexler trying to fiddle Berns, and getting gangland help to do so, and the denouement, is excellent. Recommended.
on 22 September 2014
excellent read ,highly recommend.also there is a couple of cd's regarding the music of Bert Berns that are available on amazon covering this period which goes in tandem with the book .worth looking into .
on 28 June 2014
As a Brit employed in the music business with UK and US connections since 1962 I knew 'of ' all those featured in this great read and indeed knew and worked with many of them .
Joel Selvin - previously not my favorite music writer - paints a well rounded and accurate overall picture of the music business world.
Great reportage that captures and good cross section of the fast moving- often very hand to mouth and opportunist entrepreneurism that created some great and now classic music. Indeed check out the Ace re-releases.
I cannot judge the Berns' social and marriage sections as I wasn't there . Mr Selvins Jerry Wexler comment seems a bit arbitrary and whilst somewhat - only somewhat- justified is a little one sided.
If you are only going to have time or interest in reading just a little about the soundtrack to our life then Mr Selvins Bert Berns book should be one of those at the top of your wish list.
on 2 May 2016
THIS MUST BE THE BEST BOOK I HAVE READ IN A LONG TIME,BERT BERNS HAD A VERY SHORT LIFE DUE TO A CHILDHOOD ILLNESS
BUT HE PACKED SO MUCH INTO HIS LIFE, A INNOVATOR OF MUSIC, WORKED WITH ALL TOP MUSIC LABELS AND SONGWRITERS,
HELPED THE USA TO UNDERSTAND THE BRITISH INVASION OF 5 PIECE MUSIC GROUPS,GREAT READ
on 29 August 2015
A great book for music trivia fans like me
on 12 May 2014
An enjoyable book, but not a great one. By the end I knew more about what Berns had achieved but not much more about the man. I didn't find many first hand accounts of what he was like, and got the impression that a lot of the research had been secondary sources, rather than face to face with whoever is left from that talented generation. Jerry Wexler gets a very hostile treatment. I never met him (I wish I had) but I have heard him interviewed on BBC radio and he was a marvelous raconteur who had a major impact on black American music,.so I could have forgiven him a lot. There is an extensive discography of Berns' work which had me scrambling to Amazon but it is far from complete, I have got stuff that isn't on it.

Anyway, here is to the man who made some of the greatest soul music ever, and is up there with Bo Diddley for getting the most songs out of one rhythm! I think I may have learned more about Bert by listening to the fabulous 2008 Ace tribute than reading the book, but playing the one and scanning the other has been bliss. Twist and Shout!
on 14 November 2014
Great service for a great book.
on 6 September 2015
very good, book and service.
on 18 May 2015